BG and exercise

frandia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 diagnosed in April. I test my BG levels every day and I exercise every day, 5 to 6 miles brisk walk. My BG levels are around 5.8 - 6.0 across the day, but immediately after exercise the reading goes up to over 7.0. Given that this happens every day, will it lead to an increase in my average glucose measure when I get my next HbA1c?
frandia

Romola

Even if it does - the exercise is more important as it will help to decease insulin resistance in the long run.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Check what your meter says is your average.
You could track the effect with your meter, by doing BG before exercise and then as soon as you stop ans every half hour after for a couple of hours: could be interesting :eek:
Hana

Spiral

Exercise is a bit overrated for weight loss - muscle weighs more than fat.

But I think it wakes up the insulin receptors, so your body uses the insulin it makes a bit better. I have had some of my highest and lowest readings after exercise :? :roll: In general I think it is a good thing :)

I have looked through your posts and you have not said anything about what you eat - paying a bit more attention to your diet might make more difference to the readings you are getting.

haptagud

I was diagnosed around 6months ago with some type of diabetes, still waiting on test results (a whole other story). Anyway I'm currently on Lantus once a day, 12 units, and If I go for a run and my BG levels are below about 6 then I'll spike to around 13 after my run. However, my HbA1c test last month came back at 4.9, so I guess it's helping!

I'm finding that I'm doing slightly more exercise now that before diagnoses, sine the Lantus has "helped" me put on a couple of kilos extra :evil:

frandia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks to all who replied to my BG and exercise entry. Spiral asked about my diet. I follow a very low carb diet which has made a lot of difference to my weight - dropped 30 lbs and I'm confident that I'll lose more because I actually enjoy the diet. I also thoroughly enjoy my exercise, in a beautiful part of Highland Perthshire, so I'm hoping the combination might get the metformin cut from 2x500 to 1x500. I have always been very active, running marathons and training up to 60 miles a week when I was younger, as well as rock and ice climbing on big mountains all over the world. Despite all that I kept putting weight on and the medics wouldn't believe me when I told them that I was not over-eating, even when my wife backed me up. I now believe that my exercise and my diet were what stopped me from full blown diabetes for the last 40 years until age stopped me exercising as rigorously. When I was diagnosed in April I was very angry with the medical profession for ignoring my pleas over many years to look more closely at the workings of my system. The irony is that the local team I have now couldn't be betttered. Anyway, end of rant, and looking forward to my next Hb - the first at the end of July was 7.2. I'm hoping that included the period pre-diagnosis!
frandia

haptagud

frandia said:
running marathons and training up to 60 miles a week when I was younger, as well as rock and ice climbing on big mountains
Now I'm feeling old, I'm only managing maybe 20Km (not sure in old money, sorry) throughout a week! :oops:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
frandia
what you've written rather supports my theory that diabetes is the cause of weigh gai, rather than the other way round. Unfortunately, even the medics "blame" T2s for their condition.
Hana