Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I don't eat fish
I can't cook at work /: I work in healthcare so I don't always get my break x
Hi charlottelouise2468, the high protein rolls from lidl's are quite good for diabetics, 39p each, you might give these a try with various fillings, how about scotch eggs,or slices of ham rolled with cheese inside,or make up a nice green salad with hard boiled eggs,cold roast chicken or beef ?

CharlotteLouise2468

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a vegetarian haha

On my night shifts I had peanuts, carrot batons, cheese nibbles. And I know I shouldn't but on nights I treat myself to coke zero to help with caffeine and cups up tea

CharlotteLouise2468

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The issue is that I can't eat bread. I can only eat some low carb stuff
My bloods sky rocket x

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Lidl Protein Rolls aren't bread in the traditional sense. They are quite low carb and most people on a low carb can tolerate them. They don't spike me at all and I need to eat a very low carb diet.

I sympathize with you about the problems of meals while on shift work. I work in a similar environment to you and recently came off off 2 years of four on four off 12 hour nights. I, too, get free meals at work but I always take my own home prepared with me. It was annoying at first but soon turns in to a routine which takes little time to prepare.

I usually take a couple of big handfuls of lettuce, a few cherry tomatoes, couple of slices of red onion then protein of choice. For you it could be eggs, cheese, avocadoes, chickpeas, cold veggies, cold cuts, countless quiche, cold omelette. Maybe some home made soup to microwave hot or leftovers from a previous meal. I used to enjoy home made hummous, aubergine or avocado dip with bits of crunchy veg to dip in.

Basically my post is just to let you know that healthy low carbing is possible while working shifts. :)

Reactions: 8 people

caliban

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Speeding drivers, they put us all in danger. Guitar players with sqeaky fingers. All i can hear is the **** sqeaks and I turn off.
Home made vegetable soup, dead easy to make, take to work in a flask.