Feed a cold - starve a fever!

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's what my Granny used to say.........!!

So what can I eat to 'feed' this bad cold that I've had for almost 2 weeks now - as I really want to start feeling better - any thoughts?

(I'm currently taking Metformin SR 500mg, VItamin D, C & Zinc. My Vit B levels were tested recently and are OK)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there's a tendency to starve the flu because you just don't feel like eating with 'proper flu' and I am always hungrier than usual with a cold.

Reactions: 2 people

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://www.webmd.boots.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/treat-colds-flu-naturally
Feed a cold starve a flu is a myth, both are viruses and you need to eat to keep your strength up, soup being light and easily digestible same with a fruit or vegetable smoothie, little and often.

That's interesting because I have a 'craving' for watercress soup and having had it for 2 day, (and not a lot else) I'm beginning to feel a bit better and went for a short walk today!
I think there's a tendency to starve the flu because you just don't feel like eating with 'proper flu' and I am always hungrier than usual with a cold.
Thanks for this - I must admt that I've felt hungry today for the first time in a while -so hopefully that's a good sign!!

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Forgot to say - thanks for that link to info on Boots website - a useful list of foods and I like them all - apart from rice and chilli peppers and who'd have thought that blueberries contain 'natural asprin'..... I think I'll make some onion soup!!

12. Eat infection-fighting foods
Here are some good foods to eat when you're battling a cold or flu:

• Bananas: Soothe upset stomachs.
  • Peppers: Loaded with vitamin C.
  • Blueberries: Curbs diarrhoea, high in natural aspirin. (May lower fevers and help with the aches and pains.)
  • Carrots: Loaded with beta-carotene.
  • Chilli peppers: Can open sinuses, and help break up mucus.
  • Mustard and horseradish: Helps break up mucus in air passages.
  • Onion: Has phytochemicals claimed to help the body clear bronchitis and other infections.
  • Rice: Curbs diarrhoea.
  • Tea: Black and green tea (not herbals) contain catechin, a phytochemical claimed to have natural antibiotic and anti- diarrhoea effects

Reactions: 2 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever I have a cold, fever or so I make a chicken soup. I place a whole, small chicken into a pot or slow cooker with onion, carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaves and some vinegar and leave the whole thing boiling in water for several hours. I am having it for dinner tonight :D

I do find that low carb nutrition keeps my immune system strong in general.

Reactions: 5 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
When I have a cold I like hot spicy food. It always makes me feel better. :)

I've only once had proper flu - 44 years ago - and I didn't think about food for the first four days. Eventually I managed some broth but it was a full week before I felt well enough to eat even a boiled egg and soldiers. I was so poorly my mum even considered taking me to hospital.

Nowadays in this household we have hot lemon and whisky toddies plus a couple of paracetamol and an early night at the first hint of a cold. Then repeat until gone.

Reactions: 3 people