Autoimmune comditions

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Type 2 but have Hypothyroidism and have been treated for Uvietis an eye problem that could be autoimmune.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hypothyroid, lichen planus, currently monitored for pernicious anaemia as have antibodies, now waiting investigations for a very unpleasant autoimmune condition, annoying to discover there are a whole range of autoimmune conditions i had not heard of that affect mainly women in their late 50's and 60's and even later .

So sorry to hear that @ann34, I am a woman in my 50's !
Take care RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Mac2002

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm Type 2 but have Hypothyroidism and have been treated for Uvietis an eye problem that could be autoimmune.
Hi Daphne917
I had uveitis in my 20's pre diabetes. In fact because I was treated with steroids for a year I wonder if this contributed to me getting diabetes? Anyway yesterday I went to see my ophthalmologist and he thinks it may have come back but he does not want to treat it yet and said to come back in 4 months time. He said not to worry but I am worried as I have now read up as you do on uveitis and it says can cause blindness. Mine is posterior not sure if this makes a difference. Because of the steroids I developed a cataract which was operated on . How are they treating your uveitis ?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mac2002 I had Anterior Uvietis which was treated with steroid eye drops most of the time but on a couple of occasions I also had a steroid injection in or around the eye when my lens stuck to the pupil. After about 12 flare ups in 4 years I have been in remission for three years and was finally discharged by my opthalmologist last year. I must admit that although I was on steroid drops I hadn't thought that this could have contributed to my diabetes particularly as I was on them for two years and, when my flare ups first started I was often on drops every 1/2 hour initially.

Mac2002

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I should have mentioned that my uveitis bout was over 25 years ago and I took a very strong steroid tablet pred something? I have been told this time I may have the injections instead or an operation to remove the scarred jelly! I certainly do not want to go back on the tablets as I put loads of weight on last time and can not afford to put any on now plus it affects your blood readings. Oh well I just have to wait 4 months to see what they decide. Thank you for your reply and hope it stays away as long as mine did.

Reactions: 2 people

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Epilepsy, under active thyroid , type 1 diabetic, Dupytrens , carpal tunnel, frozen shoulder, chronic vitamin d deficiency, spondylitis and cataracts. Luckily I can see the funny side ( most of the time but we all have our moments don't we? Like when my hippy neighbour tried to protest that a daily diet of foraged nettles was superior to Novorapid. Luckily she's moved house and lives in a caravan in Hull). Keep smiling xx

stanfordsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Developed polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) about 7 years ago, which took nearly a full year to diagnose before treatment. Thankfully, now have been off the corticosteroid treatment for over 3 years (remission, yay!).

Reactions: Just_Me_Rachel

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Developed polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) about 7 years ago, which took nearly a full year to diagnose before treatment. Thankfully, now have been off the corticosteroid treatment for over 3 years (remission, yay!).
Good to hear you have a remission, i was under the impression that it could burn out completely, as it did with a close relative. Were you older when you developed it? 2 of my relatives developed it when they were older, and i understood that it was one of the autoimmune diseases that becomes much more common in older age groups

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oral Lichen Planus. IBS but not sure that's auto immune. Horrid that there are so many auto immune conditions.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oral Lichen Planus. That came 2 years before. If sugar levels are running high it makes the Planus flare up.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Oral Lichen Planus. That came 2 years before. If sugar levels are running high it makes the Planus flare up.

I have the same, on the inside left of my mouth and tongue, when it flares up badly, it's like razor blades, I also get sores on the inside of my lips.

stanfordsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to hear you have a remission, i was under the impression that it could burn out completely, as it did with a close relative. Were you older when you developed it? 2 of my relatives developed it when they were older, and i understood that it was one of the autoimmune diseases that becomes much more common in older age groups
I was 54 at diagnosis, so quite young for PMR. It can burn out. The steroid is really just to make life tolerable in the meantime and my steroid dose was low, too, as it can raise BG but it still did the job.

Reactions: ann34+

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I am in pre diabetic range. anti GAD positive. Possible LADA. Hashimotos diagnosed 20 years ago. Addisons disease 18 years ago. Got the trifecta :)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm being a bit thick but can someone please explain what LADA is? diagnosed diabetic 22 years ago questioned whether I was Type 1 or 2, they came up with type 1.5!!possibly/maybe?? been on the Pump for two years (best invention ever imho)but have never heard of LADA sorry for the question

Last edited: