1000mg Metformin

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I was on metformin 500mg first i started taking 1 a day then it went up to 2 a day then to 4 times a day (2 with breakfast 2 with tea), my nurse said that now I am on more mg that I should ask to be prescribed more medication so that I don't run out as fast, so I spoke to the receptionist who wrote it on for the doctor to review and prescribe.
The doctor started to give me 1000mg of prolonged release metformin 1 x twice a day, since I have started taking these I always feel sick and actually being sick, my appetite is going, is this normal has anyone else experienced this or is it just my body? :/

Thanks in advance guys

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Wow, that's unusual. Metformin SR (Slow release or MR Modified Release) should cause far fewer stomach issues than the plain version. Metformin does suppress the appetite. All I can suggest is to agree with the DN to reduce back down again? A low-carb diet is the way to go if you have excess weight. Metformin helps but the right diet is the highest priority.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you were taking 2 x500mgs and changed to 1x 1000mgs then there should be no difference
CAROL

V12Staffie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there been diabetic for 10+ years on and off Metformin plain and never had a problem. Last week blood sugars spiked to 25 back on Metformin and diet. Blood sugars back below 10 in one week and lost 11 pounds in weight. Had bad stomach diarrhoea was then switched to slow release Metformin last 48 hours 500mg with each meal 3 X per day. Losing 11 pounds my appetite has gone as well. I have also found in the last week my eye sight has corrected itself no glasses at all? Sorry to hijack your thread but new to forum and finding my feet

Reactions: 2 people

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Caire.
It all depends what your eating, drinking and if you are doing any excercise to help you control your levels. The increase in medication is to get your levels under control but, you need to balance your diet out and excercise ( again will help lower your levels). How long have you been on the metaformin and when are you taking them?

ClaireLou94

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Caire.
It all depends what your eating, drinking and if you are doing any excercise to help you control your levels. The increase in medication is to get your levels under control but, you need to balance your diet out and excercise ( again will help lower your levels). How long have you been on the metaformin and when are you taking them?
My levels have dropped loads since I started taking them back in august, I exercise daily, I walk to and from work and go for walks during the week as well, I was on 500g when I first started taking them once a day and then the doctor and nurses have just increased them over time I am now on 1000g 2 times a day but have stopped feeling sick off them, but still I don't really have an appetite anymore x