New NICE Diabetes Guidelines just out

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good point
I think its difficult as a health care professional to admit to being wrong , particularly when this involves going against 'guidelines'. But so often in science 'truth' will move on. Much of what today seems to be modern will be laughed at in 20 years time.

Steadily more and more doctors are contacting me to find out more about the low carb approach and give their patients the choice. The Royal College has just made me National Champion for Collaboration in Diabetes and Obesity -I hope to use this as an opportunity to encourage doctors to see a patient's priorities and choices are not always the same as the HCP but valid all the same.
Just last week i won 'NHS Innovator of the Year' for the North West. This would have been rather unlikely a few years ago!

Cheers

Neither side is wrong, but where does the recommended advice give way to patients priorities?
Obviously, dietary guidelines are in place because it was believed they were the best at the time.
They are better then many peoples diets at diagnosis.
But where do HCP's draw the line when they decide to accept patients priorities?

A good case in point, were the UK HCP, and the patients priorities are vastly divergent is reported here.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...g-clinic-after-deciding-old-age-10433954.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Neither side is wrong, but where does the recommended advice give way to patients priorities?
Obviously, dietary guidelines are in place because it was believed they were the best at the time.
They are better then many peoples diets at diagnosis.
But where do HCP's draw the line when they decide to accept patients priorities?

A good case in point, were the UK HCP, and the patients priorities are vastly divergent is reported here.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...g-clinic-after-deciding-old-age-10433954.html
I'm coming round to the idea that my job is to help my patient understand the balance of risks and benefits which attend any diet or drug, and then they are in a better place to choose for themselves It's a free world and i suspect each of us is the best expert on our own lives.
cheers

Reactions: 16 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm coming round to the idea that my job is to help my patient understand the balance of risks and benefits which attend any diet or drug, and then they are in a better place to choose for themselves It's a free world and i suspect each of us is the best expert on our own lives.
cheers

I appreciate a lot of us on here believe we are.
I don't know that I am.
My doctor spent a lot more time than me studying to be a doctor, so I do accept what they say as being expert advice.
I can choose to ignore them, but I doubt I know more then they do.

I believe most of us are better informed than the majority of patients, but it doesn't mean we're automatically right.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
For sure my doctors and nurses have orders of magnitude more medical knowledge than me. Then again, I reversed my type 2 diabetes by ignoring their advice, so maybe I know something about it that they don't? On the other hand, my diabetes nurse tells me I'll be on insulin someday, which I disagree with. I guess I'll find out who is right someday.

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good point
I think its difficult as a health care professional to admit to being wrong , particularly when this involves going against 'guidelines'. But so often in science 'truth' will move on. Much of what today seems to be modern will be laughed at in 20 years time.

Steadily more and more doctors are contacting me to find out more about the low carb approach and give their patients the choice. The Royal College has just made me National Champion for Collaboration in Diabetes and Obesity -I hope to use this as an opportunity to encourage doctors to see a patient's priorities and choices are not always the same as the HCP but valid all the same.
Just last week i won 'NHS Innovator of the Year' for the North West. This would have been rather unlikely a few years ago!

Cheers
Bloody brilliant!

Reactions: 4 people

lindisfel

Expert
Try having a condition that your GP only heard of at medical school!
Don't you think they will get their books out like the patient?
Science is a progressive revelation, if we want certainty we should try a fundamentalist religion! :);)
Derek

I appreciate a lot of us on here believe we are.
I don't know that I am.
My doctor spent a lot more time than me studying to be a doctor, so I do accept what they say as being expert advice.
I can choose to ignore them, but I doubt I know more then they do.

I believe most of us are better informed than the majority of patients, but it doesn't mean we're automatically right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jankiff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Brexit, stupid TV ads. Bogus accident claims companies who cold call on the ‘phone,
I have just been put on a high dose of prednisolone for Bullous Pemphigoid which has taken two years to diagnose. Talk about a rock and a hard place. It takes 2 weeks to get an appointment at my GP surgery and getting them to adjust the doses electronically is a nightmare. I am also nearly over PMR and was down to 3 mg of preddies the Dermatologist has put me back up to 20. I have to be extremely pro-active at the GP. It is a multi partner practice and one never sees the same one twice,p. Excellent nurse, fortunately.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Treatment and care should take into account individual needs and preferences

Do individual needs mean that low carb can be considered as a viable option for someone with type 2 diabetes (based on an individual's needs + wanting to try it)? :)

Reactions: 2 people

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
my granddaughter is a doctor she said that I had more knowledge of Diabetes than she has.

Reactions: 8 people