All inclusive resorts

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We booked two weeks in a ' All inclusive resort". food and alcohol is available all day, I always feel that I don't get my monies worth
do you feel the same ?

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I can't comment on the temptation aspect as to me an all inclusive holiday would feel restrictive, I love exploring local eating places.
I can understand the appeal of all inclusive because it is hassel free and spending is taken care of but all inclusive holliday market is slanted to a large degree to those who measure the quality of a meal by the size of a steak.
We have for some years holidayed in Italy using the same amazing 3 star tradditional hotel as a base, the food is superb the evening meals are wonderful varied and interesting diabetic friendly four course meals plus the traditional salad but every year some bright spark will post a TripAdvisor review complaing his steak was too small.

Reactions: 4 people

norfolkboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idiots.
I agree with Sirmione.We tend to have 2 holidays ayear, self catering or b&b.It is the freedom of choice that we have...............and you will still see people on AI eating in local restaurants, as it is true that you can't please all the people all of the time.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I prefer going to the locals places, eating street food, and generally getting out.
I also try whatever the locals drink, which normally doesn't tend to be served in the all inclusive type bars, so I probably wouldn't get my monies worth either.

S

Shar67

I'm just back from Prague, and the local food and drink was fabulous, they like their Czech beer and love it when you order it. As I don't drink I only have my sister's word for it, but can vouch for the great food and they don't skimp on portions.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't do all inclusive holidays either. I don't drink that much alcohol. None during the day and a few beers only in the evening. I usually book holidays with breakfast included as I don't eat in the morning at home, but I do eat breakfast on holiday and I liked the tropical fruits, fresh mango, papaya, melon and papaya which are available. But as I can't eat those now I will probably not book holidays with breakfast included in future.
When I am somewhere hot I don't usually have lunch, maybe just a snack or sandwich in the afternoon, and I like to get out of the hotel in the evening and try different places to eat, where there is some entertainment, preferably live music.

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Have been on a couple of all inclusive holidays; the nicest one in Marbella. I would go back to the Marbella AI Hotel at the drop of a hat. Having said that, we would eat a nibble in the hotel around 5 0r 6pm but would have dinner much later at local restaurants 5 nights out of 7 and of course visit the local pubs/tapas bars. Couldn’t do with being caged in for 10 days regardless of how nice the hotel and service is; also, one would never experience the true culture of the place.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We booked two weeks in a ' All inclusive resort". food and alcohol is available all day, I always feel that I don't get my monies worth
do you feel the same ?

I look at it as my health being included! :)

I haven't been on one since diagnosed with T2D, but there was always plenty of salads, fish, eggs and meat available. It was difficult, though, to limit myself to just those...