Pre Diabetic scared into action

lizzycat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I'm a 64 yr old female I am currently at the pre diabetic stage but desperate not to let it get to type 2. I'm wondering how long it has taken others to notice a drop in their levels after adjusting their diet. For the last 3 weeks I have really upped my exersise I go to the gym twice a week to do some resistance work and stretches along with 15 mins brisk walking on the treadmill. I have now added walking and walk for at least 30 minutes 5 times a week. My new best friend is a nutribullet and I start each day with a healthy smoothie and have also reduced my carb intake dramatically. So far I have lost half a stone and still have at least another half to go. While I am feeling fitter and have way more energy my fasting blood has not reduced still between 6.2 and 6.9 while my 2hr post food is dropping. I have tried having a snack before bed this made no difference and I have also measured my blood at around 3am a couple of times and it has been 5.4 and 5.0. I feel a bit dissapointed am I just being impatient?

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Maybe. I'm not seeing these as high levels at all, and if they represent your average they would give you an HbA1c test result of less than 41...and the 5s would give a non-diabetic average closer to the low 30s. You don't mention meds and I don't know what your test result was when diagnosed, but, if you're not on meds and feel good...I wouldn't panic. Also, you say your post meal levels are dropping..what were/are they? Reduced carbs? Still eating bread?

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't worry too much. I had similar results after starting low carbs. Initially fasting blood levels appeared to drop but now they are all over the place and seems to have little rhyme or reason. However contrary to what doctors seem to believe the fasting blood sugar is not necessarily the lowest of the day. I regularly fall to around 4.5 in late afternoon even if i might have had a 6.5 in the morning. Since overall my levels are not regularly high or above 7.8 (the level at which there is a danger of complications I think) for long, I don't think I am at much risk .
I do find that if I have had a meal with more carbs than usual and levels go a bit high after eating then I can invariably get them down to the 6's by 15 mins of walking (can be on the spot indoors if necessary - while watching TV or something).
I also do some weights and high intensity interval training (which has massively improved my fitness levels in just 4 minutes a day.)
You may be experiencing dawn phenomenon which I understand is due to the liver dumping glucose in the morning (ready for you to hunt or gather your breakfast - human body hasn't caught up with food being available in cupboards and fridges!)

lizzycat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe. I'm not seeing these as high levels at all, and if they represent your average they would give you an HbA1c test result of less than 41...and the 5s would give a non-diabetic average closer to the low 30s. You don't mention meds and I don't know what your test result was when diagnosed, but, if you're not on meds and feel good...I wouldn't panic. Also, you say your post meal levels are dropping..what were/are they? Reduced carbs? Still eating bread?
Hi and thanks for your reply. I'm not on any meds for diabetes and have cut right back on carbs, no bread, cakes, crisps. I was actually told I was pre diabetic 3 years ago I cant remember what my HbA1c was but I have had a few health problems in the last 12 months which led to me being very inactive and putting weight on around my middle. That's why I stated monitoring. I thought it was important to lower the fasting levels, perhaps I need to read up more and get a better understanding.

lizzycat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't worry too much. I had similar results after starting low carbs. Initially fasting blood levels appeared to drop but now they are all over the place and seems to have little rhyme or reason. However contrary to what doctors seem to believe the fasting blood sugar is not necessarily the lowest of the day. I regularly fall to around 4.5 in late afternoon even if i might have had a 6.5 in the morning. Since overall my levels are not regularly high or above 7.8 (the level at which there is a danger of complications I think) for long, I don't think I am at much risk .
I do find that if I have had a meal with more carbs than usual and levels go a bit high after eating then I can invariably get them down to the 6's by 15 mins of walking (can be on the spot indoors if necessary - while watching TV or something).
I also do some weights and high intensity interval training (which has massively improved my fitness levels in just 4 minutes a day.)
You may be experiencing dawn phenomenon which I understand is due to the liver dumping glucose in the morning (ready for you to hunt or gather your breakfast - human body hasn't caught up with food being available in cupboards and fridges!)
Yes the dawn phenomenon sounds likely, also, after a scan last year, I was told I had a fatty liver (I drink very little alcohol) so I will just keep on doing what I'm doing and try to loose some internal fat. I have been reading recently about how short bursts of high intensive exersise are very effective so will start incorporating some into my gyn visits.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi and thanks for your reply. I'm not on any meds for diabetes and have cut right back on carbs, no bread, cakes, crisps. I was actually told I was pre diabetic 3 years ago I cant remember what my HbA1c was but I have had a few health problems in the last 12 months which led to me being very inactive and putting weight on around my middle. That's why I stated monitoring. I thought it was important to lower the fasting levels, perhaps I need to read up more and get a better understanding.

My level is regularly a little lower at the end of the day (ie. well after my last meal - maybe 5.6ish) but slightly higher on waking after a night's sleep (generally 5.9 - 6.5), so I agree with seadragon that the so-called fasting level on waking is not necessarily the lowest of the day. Sounds like you've done really well and say you are feeling fitter - so well done. I'd advise you think about talking to your doctor about another HbA1c test..see what's what.

lizzycat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My level is regularly a little lower at the end of the day (ie. well after my last meal - maybe 5.6ish) but slightly higher on waking after a night's sleep (generally 5.9 - 6.5), so I agree with seadragon that the so-called fasting level on waking is not necessarily the lowest of the day. Sounds like you've done really well and say you are feeling fitter - so well done. I'd advise you think about talking to your doctor about another HbA1c test..see what's what.
I'm feeling happier after reading up a bit more on dawn phenomenom, this site is excellent very informative. I have seen my GP way too much over the last 12 months and have has loads of blood tests and I was on hydrocortisone for 8 weeks in September after pituitary surgery so I'd be surprised if it hasn't been checked recently as there was a risk of temp diabetes post surgery but all my tests came back ok. I'm going to see my GP on Friday so will check to see if it was done.

Reactions: 2 people

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi lizzy,
Sounds as if you are doing all the right things so well done! My hba1c was 103 in September (that's an average of around 21 I think....eek!) I had it tested again last week and it's now in a non diabetic range so just keep on doing what you're doing as it is doable. I have reduced carb intake quite a lot but not denied myself anything.

Also my morning levels took longer to come down than any other and I seem to be lowest mid afternoon so I think that's quite common.

Good luck!

lizzycat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi lizzy,
Sounds as if you are doing all the right things so well done! My hba1c was 103 in September (that's an average of around 21 I think....eek!) I had it tested again last week and it's now in a non diabetic range so just keep on doing what you're doing as it is doable. I have reduced carb intake quite a lot but not denied myself anything.

Also my morning levels took longer to come down than any other and I seem to be lowest mid afternoon so I think that's quite common.

Good luck!
Thank you Emma I I
Hi lizzy,

Good luck!
Thank you Emma and well done on getting your levels down to non diabetic. It's a bit of a steep learning curve at the moment but I have learned so much already. I've cut back on carbs and have started baking, using the recipes from this site, so we can still have puddings and treats and main meals don't get boring. I have noticed that my sweet tooth has diminished which makes life easier.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best indication of how you are doing is through the HbA1c test so I would soldier on the way you are and after being on your new regime for 3 months go back and get re tested