Worries

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have any tips for helping reduced the panic/fear of what is to come in the future? I am 29 years old and have been been diabetic for almost 27 years - starting to feel the real pressure of a time limit at a reasonably young age - I have 2 young girls and worry about how much of their lives I will see :( But my panics are really interfering with my life now and just want to be able to get on with life in a happier state of mind! :( x

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your still very young @cara147m and there's no reason why you shouldn't have a long and happy life and see your children grow-up, all I would suggest is you talk with your gp or diabetes team about your feelings if things get too much.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I look at it this way: there are quite a few people on this forum that have had diabetes for more than 50 years. Plus, there are stories about people who have had diabetes for 60, 70, and 80+ years.

Many of those people were diagnosed long before glucometers, artificial insulin, and many of the other current technologies available to us.

When you also consider that they're having successful trials implementing artificial pancreases in diabetics and successful trials repairing damaged beta cells, I'm pretty confident in saying there will be a cure within our lifetime (I'm 27). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a permanent solution (but not necessarily a cure) within the next 10 years.

That's my outlook on the situation. I'm pretty optimistic to be honest, not just about myself, but about treating/curing the disease in general.

Reactions: 14 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi cara147m I have type1 and been for close on 54 years and only have a couple of very minor complications,put your fears away and look after your diabetes and look forward to a long life.noblehead has given you good advice.

Reactions: 10 people

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all - lovely to hear positive vibes! Think I am in one of those low phases with diabetes! Hadn't thought about the new technology side of things - just need to keep my self as healthy as possible until we can get the new stuff :) x

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have any tips for helping reduced the panic/fear of what is to come in the future? I am 29 years old and have been been diabetic for almost 27 years - starting to feel the real pressure of a time limit at a reasonably young age - I have 2 young girls and worry about how much of their lives I will see :( But my panics are really interfering with my life now and just want to be able to get on with life in a happier state of mind! :( x
Im 19 and honestly feel this way too, and the thought is reallt effecting my daily life :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If your sugar is well controlled you should have a normal life expectancy. If the worries continue then you may need to seek a bit of counselling or CBT therapy.

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thank you all - lovely to hear positive vibes! Think I am in one of those low phases with diabetes! Hadn't thought about the new technology side of things - just need to keep my self as healthy as possible until we can get the new stuff :) x
Besides the young gentleman who has lived with diabetes for 80 years there are loads of us on the forum with 50 and 60 years plus on insulin with no complications :)

Reactions: 13 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey no need to feel this way, thoughts particularly negative ones, can be self perpetuating and can affect your life, you need to break out of the chain of negative thinking, meditation has helped me think in the present and stop worrying about the future, see if you can join a local group or find a meditation on YouTube to help you tune out of this way of thinking ? ;)

Reactions: 2 people

toby64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
i read of your fears but let me assure you, you have many years to go this year i have been type 1 for 55 years and i have a friend who has been type1 for 74 years although he is a doctor.
i think the important thing to remember is that YOU are in control of how long you want to live with diabetes, this disease is not the death sentence it use to be and in many cases you will outlive your friends because you have constantly looked after your health and in many ways that gives us an advantage over others.

Hope this helps
God Bless Regards
Toby

Reactions: 12 people

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know a man who is in his 80s, has had type 1 since his teens, he is still at work! Through choice, part time, but likes to keep busy. Don't despair. Look after your diabetes and your diabetes will look after you. Stay strong x

Reactions: 6 people

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Check out this story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-34997099

80 years with diabetes and still going strong :) Theres no reason why you can't be the same :)

And I second the idea of a cure very soon. In the last few years, there have been so many advances.

What's this a longevity competition now lol, shall we all go down the betting shop and see what odds they'll give us to get to 80 years with diabetes. Oh ****, 53 years to go then. I'd have to reach the age of 92 to equal the above record, if i got to that age with or without diabetes i'd be chuffed.

You know the supercentenrian Jeanne Calment smoked for 97 out of her 122 years. I wonder when the first type 1 super centenarian will come about, place your bets lol.

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dear Cara, I'd say 'try to focus on the present – and on the quality time you spend with your family'. But perhaps you could also consider looking for a more professional kind of help. Why don't you ask your doctor? Sometimes, talking to an educator or psychologist (provided they are really competent in type 1 diabetes), even for a short period, can help dispelling all the black clouds. I've needed it several times in my life (I've been type 1 for 30 years) and I benefited from it. Probably I'll resort to the same solution again in the future, as no ability to cope is for ever. Believe me, talking to someone who can relate to your fears and knows how to empower you so you can overcome them does work. Just think about it.
have a good day, sis.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am 53 and have had Type 1 since I was 5. I also have a son, and I had those feelings when he was young. Would I survive long enough to see him independent? Would I be able to help him as a young adult? Well, he's 30 now. And I'm still well, healthier than most 53-year-olds, I am happy to say.
I also went through the years when there were no blood sugar meters, no pens, no pumps, etc.
What did I do? I went for a generally healthy lifestyle. No smoking, very little booze, loads of vegetables and fruit - I cooked every day. And we spent all our weekends and free time doing active things. We cycled every where (no car). We played tennis, we swam, we walked in the park almost every day.....etc.
And that's still my way. Any time I start worrying about my longevity, I take it as a spur to do something healthgiving.
Which also improves mood and mental health.

Reactions: 2 people