Alternative to bread!

CharlotteLouise2468

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you know any good alternatives to bread low carb wise.

I had a naughty treat the other week (veggie sausage bap) and my bloods weren't good after. Obviously they came down and back to normal but they did raise quickly.

I ate a lot of brown bread prior trying this low carb high fat thing (which has helped my bloods a lot!) but I've found even a little bit of bread sends my bloods bonkers.

I got my hands on some low carb bread from wait rose which is tiny and 4g carb per slice so not too bad but it doesn't really curb me cravings which I occasionally have.

Is there any recipe or low carb alternative or am I banished from bread for life

Thanks! X

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you know any good alternatives to bread low carb wise.

I had a naughty treat the other week (veggie sausage bap) and my bloods weren't good after. Obviously they came down and back to normal but they did raise quickly.

I ate a lot of brown bread prior trying this low carb high fat thing (which has helped my bloods a lot!) but I've found even a little bit of bread sends my bloods bonkers.

I got my hands on some low carb bread from wait rose which is tiny and 4g carb per slice so not too bad but it doesn't really curb me cravings which I occasionally have.

Is there any recipe or low carb alternative or am I banished from bread for life

Thanks! X
Hi,get along to lidl's they do low carb rolls high protein 39p each

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes make a Sukrin loaf - originally recommended by another forum member, (packs available for Sukrin UK, Amazon UK, and I think Waitrose), but it's quite expensive for a small loaf though it IS very low in carbs - they say 1g carbs per slice. The Sukrin site also has various recipes , some with extra ingredients, for various types of bread, buns, and scones. But be aware these may not all be suitable for diabetics, so check any added ingredients.

I also bake (unsweetened) muffins using Sukrin sesame flour which are quite close textured and, cut in half, can be toasted nicely. I'm currently looking round for a suitable container to make a larger, flatter, version of these.

But there are loads of recipes for low carb bread alternatives online too, and it's worth checking through our low carb recipes.

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like the Burgen Soya & Linseed loaf. I know you can get it in Sainsburys and Tesco, probably other supermarkets too.I think it has 25g of carbs per 100g.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
My experience is that it is possible to withdraw from bread! I made wonderful loaves with a Panasonic breadmaker but nowadays, I bake only for my wife.
My substitute is Ryvita crispbread, 11G per slice, 6.2G C/H. Best to spare the C/H, add tasty protein [and butter's ok] to your Ryvita. More sustaining.

shezy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've recently started buying the Lidl high protein rolls. Only 9 carb per huge roll. I was concerned that with all the seeds there would be too much fibre but I'm fine and they are really tasty. I keep some in the freezer. Yesterday I took one with me to have out with soup - but had second thoughts when Soup of the day was Honey and Parsnip!! Love these rolls with herby cream cheese.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thoroughly recommend the Lidl high protein rolls.On another thread someone posted up the ingredients and nutritional info.They do vary very slightly in weight so I estimate between 10g to 11g per roll.I think from memory the 9g figure is per 100g and they are slightly bigger than 100g each.
A nice wholemeal type roll,so should be right up your strasse!
Can be cut carefully into four good slices,with practice and a sharp bread knife.Or cut them across the way and bake in the oven for low carb crackers,great with cheeses and pates.
Bread most definitely back on the menu.Cheese on toast, French toast the lot ;-)

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also meant to mention about sausages.Lidl also do excellent high meat content Cumberland sausages.Very low carb indeed, so clearly very little cereal in them.So assuming you are not vegetarian pick some up too and treat yourself to a sausage bap guilt free.

shezy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thoroughly recommend the Lidl high protein rolls.On another thread someone posted up the ingredients and nutritional info.They do vary very slightly in weight so I estimate between 10g to 11g per roll.I think from memory the 9g figure is per 100g and they are slightly bigger than 100g each.
A nice wholemeal type roll,so should be right up your strasse!
Can be cut carefully into four good slices,with practice and a sharp bread knife.Or cut them across the way and bake in the oven for low carb crackers,great with cheeses and pates.
Bread most definitely back on the menu.Cheese on toast, French toast the lot ;-)
I've read that they are 8.5 carbs per 100g and the average weight is 115g so then it's 9.8 carbs per roll which is really good compared to the single slice from a little Warburton's loaf at 11 carbs !
I cut them into slices too.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stand corrected! I do tend to count one as 11g carbs probably as I am being economical with the 81% chocolate carb count ;-)
I probably eat too many of these if truth be told, I used to eat a lot of bread, and I mean a lot.So these are great.As you say a whole one equivalent to a little slice of Warbuton's Toastie!!
Christmas turkey stuffing made with Lidl protein roll breadcrumbs? Well at least a little on the side for me.And I am seriously thinkin about some kinda bread sauce experiment.

shezy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think both stuffing and bread sauce would work with the Lidl rolls really well. Just water and cream for the sauce instead of milk ? I wonder if the sauce might be a bit grey looking though?? I'll have to try this myself and take them with me to my Christmas Day and Boxing Day dinners with family.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Only pay 29p each for ours
That offer was supposed to finish last Friday. They should be back to 39p now. I bought some today but didn't notice the price, I just assumed they were 39p.

chinta

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sometimes make a Sukrin loaf - originally recommended by another forum member, (packs available for Sukrin UK, Amazon UK, and I think Waitrose), but it's quite expensive for a small loaf though it IS very low in carbs - they say 1g carbs per slice. The Sukrin site also has various recipes , some with extra ingredients, for various types of bread, buns, and scones. But be aware these may not all be suitable for diabetics, so check any added ingredients.

I also bake (unsweetened) muffins using Sukrin sesame flour which are quite close textured and, cut in half, can be toasted nicely. I'm currently looking round for a suitable container to make a larger, flatter, version of these.

But there are loads of recipes for low carb bread alternatives online too, and it's worth checking through our low carb recipes.

Robbity

£16 for a kilo of breadmix!!!!!!

Ianmc1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys,

Thanks! X
I found , in waitrose , sourdough work yoghurt that is less than 1 g per slice 0. Something I will eat that

heather_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey guys,

Thanks! X
try oat cakes they have very little effect on me. but rice cakes are as bad as bread

CharlotteLouise2468

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will try the rolls I've had them before and I thought lush! But that was when I wasn't really caring about my carb intake
I've been really down today so have eaten a lot of carbs :(
It's been a bad day!! Wasn't feeling too great before I had a carb fest either /:

Guess these days come n go right? X