Road Traffic Accident

dfeeh14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blues in sport and politics
I've was diagnosed with type 2 a little over two year ago and it is now well under control ... or was. Very recently I had a traffic accident. I was knocked off my bike - no blood, no breaks, no squished organs but lots of gravel rash and deep bruises. Since it happened I have eaten very little (c 100g of carbs / day) and badly (mainly fruit, cheese and low-carb peanut paste - a weakness of mine). What I have found is that my morning numbers are fine (around 5.0) but my post-meal numbers have become, for me, frightening (8.0 - 9.0). Is this anyone else's experience?

Reactions: 5 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am doing LCHF diet, and my daily target is 120-150 Net carbs, so 100 may be a little low, but there are some here that are aiming for 20 gms a day. I did read a LC diet site somewhere that decried peanut butter because, although peanuts are technically low carb, the gunk we buy in the supermart is a highly processed sugar trap. Also there are charts etc on the web that list the carb content of veg and fruit. You may be eating the wrong things, even thought they are healthy (not so sure about the peanut butter though) Even 1 medium banana can send your bgl into orbit if its ripe. Most of us struggle with rising levels after a meal, and there are guidelines on this site somewhere that show what numbers are considered 'normal' for T2 on orals. One thing to remember is that everything we eat, apart from non soluble fibre, gets converted to glucose in the blood to feed the machine. Those advocating a LC diet would like us to believe that fat and carbs have no effect on blood sugar, but they are wrong. if you want to scare yourself, google Krebs Cycle or Citrus Cycle. As Angelina Jolie's tatoo says 'Everything I eat kills me' Even cholesterol gets used if bgl levels drop too low.

dfeeh14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Oldvatr. I take your kindly advice. However, my issue is that my diet has not changed since my accident (my peanut paste addiction is long standing, sorry), apart from eating less than normal, and yet my numbers have hit the roof. I'm wondering if anyone has the experience of physical trauma affecting their BGL.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know about physical trauma but my blood sugar rises with stress! Not by as much as yours has moved but blood sugar is affected by more than food choices!

Reactions: 6 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Oldvatr. I take your kindly advice. However, my issue is that my diet has not changed since my accident (my peanut paste addiction is long standing, sorry), apart from eating less than normal, and yet my numbers have hit the roof. I'm wondering if anyone has the experience of physical trauma affecting their BGL.
OK, I take your point. Let me share something that I suffer from. I am doing LC diet, and am also seeing lowish numbers ( aound 7 mmol/L ) most of the time. However I find that if I miss my breakfast, then I suddenly get numbers around 12-15 mmol/L, which is nothing to do with my days activities. I believe that this spike is due to what is termed Liver Dump, and is the result of a prolonged period of little or no carb input. Just a slice of toaast and butter in the morning is sufficient to keep my bgl low, but I do notice that my pre meal readings can be lower than my fasting levels on 1 slice, but are ok on 2 slices.

Reactions: 2 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya, yes stress and illness definitely raise my BGs. I had a chest infection and was up in the 17 region! It took weeks to come back down. Doc told me to stop testing so much as the anxiety was making it worse. :oops:

When you are ill or injured your body produces hormones to help mend you and this pushes your BGs up. Try not to worry. :)

Reactions: 6 people

dfeeh14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hiya, yes stress and illness definitely raise my BGs. I had a chest infection and was up in the 17 region! It took weeks to come back down. Doc told me to stop testing so much as the anxiety was making it worse. :oops:

When you are ill or injured your body produces hormones to help mend you and this pushes your BGs up. Try not to worry. :)

Thanks Oldvatr and Catlady. My numbers have already started to moderate but remain well above "normal" for clearly non-dietary reasons. My worry is mainly about my injuries rather than my diabetes which, despite this period, remains under reasonable control. However as a still-fairly-new-to-diabetes person it remains surprising to me that a disease named by the ancient Greeks, and so rampant in the modern world, is still so poorly understood. The doctors at the Casualty clinic where I was taken after the accident had no idea about how my diabetes might be affected by the physical injury and, indeed seemed surprised to be asked. They were very good, however, with bruises and gravel-rash.

Reactions: 2 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No surprise there really, the emergency department does exactly that, deal with emergency body treatment - they don't have the practical day-to-day knowledge to deal with diabetes I think. Same with GPs, if I don't see my 'Diabetes' doctor they seem to be a little sketchy on the details! :confused: That's what we are here for, we are right know-it-alls ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
8 to 9 post meal is higher than all of us aim for but not a disaster, give your body systems time to re-adjust.

Reactions: 4 people

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am learning that all sorts of weird things can affect your blood sugar. Of course I have read about it on the forum but only recently experienced it myself. In my case it was something as simple as Jet Lag. Took about 10 days for things to settle down. The trauma associated with a traffic accident has got to be much worse. Just stick with all the good things you were doing before. Eventually you should get back to your normal numbers.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trauma and stress will increase things like cortisol production, which in turn affect insulin resistance. All good advice given above in thread, just give it a bit of time to settle down.