Newly diagnosed T2 yesterday

Sanste

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all
Just been diagnosed with T2 which hit me like a sledgehammer as I thought I was called to see the Doctor to have a Coeliac diagnosis!!!! The Doctor has advised me to take a single dose of Metformin after breakfast and tea and am happy to do so after reading about the medication.
I was told my HbA1c result was 7.5 and although this was not too high I still met the criteria for a definitive diagnosis. So be it.
I have a meeting with the Diabetic Nurse next week so am bound to have a ton of questions but finding this forum has allayed an awful lot of my fears and answered many of the questions I had jotted down.
Apologies in advance for any daft questions I am bound to ask!!!!!

Reactions: 4 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hi all
Just been diagnosed with T2 which hit me like a sledgehammer as I thought I was called to see the Doctor to have a Coeliac diagnosis!!!! The Doctor has advised me to take a single dose of Metformin after breakfast and tea and am happy to do so after reading about the medication.
I was told my HbA1c result was 7.5 and although this was not too high I still met the criteria for a definitive diagnosis. So be it.
I have a meeting with the Diabetic Nurse next week so am bound to have a ton of questions but finding this forum has allayed an awful lot of my fears and answered many of the questions I had jotted down.
Welcome to the forum, ask as many questions as you like, you probably have a lot but there is normally someone who can give you an answer, we don't mind daft questions because obviously they are not daft to you. It's a shock when diagnosed but there are people here with lots of D experience we cannot give medical advice but may be able to give suggestions and will give you lots of support. Lots of lovely people on here, you will soon have a better understanding of Diabetese

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Sanste and welcome to the forum! It is a shock when you first receive that diagnosis, and it takes some time to get your head round it. But you have found this forum which is a great source of information and support. I was diagnosed four months ago and still learning. I suggest you ask your nurse or GP for a referral to a diabetes management course, though there will probably be a waiting list.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Sanste,

Welcome to the forum!
I've tagged @daisy1 to give you the newcomers welcome information.

Have a read of the information and read the low carb forum.

There are some really knowledgeable people who have gone through what you are going through quite successfully.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Theres no such thing as a daft question here so ask away. :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Sanste

Hello Sugar Free Steven and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi all

Hi. I was diagnosed in April..you'll, hopefully, be surprised how much you learn in a short space of time (particularly now you've joined this site/community) and how control of your diet can help you lower the levels. looking at the info in members' signatures/footnotes will let you see that people are making progress pretty quickly. You say your HbA1c test result was 7.5; is that percentage (ie. 7.1%), meaning your IFCC is 59 and your average blood sugar level over the last 3 months is 9.4mmols? Or is it 7.1 mmols (ie. an IFCC measurement of 43). Or is all that like a language from Outer Zyhebria at this stage? You can access converters/details on this site or just google stuff. compare it to the details other members show and you will very quickly get to grips with it. I am not trying to confuse you, Santse - I just found, personally, that initially I found that getting these terms straight in my head helped me feel in control more and then I could make more sense of my meter readings. Anyway, the reason I ask is that there's obviously quite a difference between a reading of 9.4mmols and 7.1 mmols...but either way...you will make a dent in it soon enough. The diabetic nurse will probably arrange a meter for you (if not - definitely ask for one), so you can measure your daily levels and alter your diet accordingly..it's the understanding of the relationship between certain foods, times and levles that will put you in control. Good luck, and like 4ratbags has said - there are no daft questions.

Sanste

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Pleinster,
I understand that I had a reading of 57 which equated to 7.5%. Looking back, I realise I had the symptoms, (needing to pee a few times before falling asleep but never having to get up during he night) for a few months and more recently a dry mouth but not an overwhelming urge to take on fluids, I am hoping the meds will sort this out. It is a bit of a minefield at the moment, eat this, don't eat that, do this, don't do that but I am sure I will work it out!!! Trying to take the positives out of he diagnosis in that I needed to lose weight and exercise a bit more...really going to struggle with the lack of visits to our favourite Indian restaurant though!!!

humphreydog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Steve, My HBA1C was 7.9% when diagnosed 4 weeks ago. Been on low carb for 4 weeks and was tested again after 3 weeks. Its already dropped to 7.6% and with eating to the meter and keeping a food diary my average GC level for last two weeks is 7.7 which, if I've got the calculation right should be 6.5% or 47.5.
Did you watch the 1st doctor in the house program ? in that he took them to the curry house for a treat but made them choose low carb options off the menu so maybe all is not lost !!
I'm sure more knowledgeable people than me will give you some advice on this as, like you, I'm just getting my head round this .

And for those more knowledgeable people - Im out for a curry on xmas eve - any suggestions ?

thanks
Humphrey.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi Pleinster,
I understand that I had a reading of 57 which equated to 7.5%. Looking back, I realise I had the symptoms, (needing to pee a few times before falling asleep but never having to get up during he night) for a few months and more recently a dry mouth but not an overwhelming urge to take on fluids, I am hoping the meds will sort this out. It is a bit of a minefield at the moment, eat this, don't eat that, do this, don't do that but I am sure I will work it out!!! Trying to take the positives out of he diagnosis in that I needed to lose weight and exercise a bit more...really going to struggle with the lack of visits to our favourite Indian restaurant though!!!

Sounds like you are the kind of person who does want to be in control of your situation. The meds should help. To be honest, I found that the Gliclazide I was on wasn't making much difference, even doubled in dosage, while all I was doing was avoiding sugary stuff. After taking a lot of meter readings to inform me as to when my peaks were, I started to cut out carbs. Forget the sugar content...the unused carbs turn to glucose in the body and amount to the same thing - a higher blood sugar level. As soon as I cut out bread, everything improved. Then I realised (by testing before and two hours after food - by which time the level should have returned to pre-meal level) that cereal had to go, spuds, chips, pizza, pasta, rice...anyway...you'll find this too if you check the impact of foods on your levels. Now, after careful research and help on this site, I eat a very low carb diet, and all my levels have dropped almost to normal range. I have a peak from a steroid I take and its still not low enough to make me happy, so now that my diet is under control, I'm back on the meds...and they appear to be more effective now. So, what I am saying is - think seriously about a low carb diet...cut out certain foods altogether, record levels and food eaten in a diary and out yourself in control. In case you are wondering what you can eat with little or no effect on your level, while we all differ a bit...there are some that simply don't have much by way of carbs or sugar..safe stuff - fish, non-processed meat, 90% meat sausages, some cold meats, chicken, eggs, bacon....broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, leafy veg.....avocado, a few strawberries, some nuts....dried bacon strips...sugar free sweets (try Marks & Sparks, Sainsburys)...definitely have asparagus and cinnamon as they can lower things a bit sometimes....Anyway, just ideas, mate. Works for me. I'm confident you'd bring your 57 right down in a few months if you are strict. Good luck. Paul

JamesW2612

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi all

Hi Sugar free Steven :)

Sorry to hear your have diagnosed with T2 - Its a shock isnt it!
All i can say is do as much home work as possible, find as much out about diabetes as you can. From my experience, i wish i had done all my homework before my diabetic nurse appointment so i could have all my questions ready.

There is a lot to learn, and you will find so much information on this forum! Ask lots of question!!

Good luck!