Newbie Type 2 - Should I try Low Carbs/Exercise First

seandrv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 with a fasting reading of 11.4,,My doctor gave me Metaformin but I wanted to know if its advisable to try lower this by good old fashioned lifestyle change given that is what has caused this before going to meds. I am 4 stone overweight and eat total rubbish and smoke so I KNOW what I need to do

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 with a fasting reading of 11.4,,My doctor gave me Metaformin but I wanted to know if its advisable to try lower this by good old fashioned lifestyle change given that is what has caused this before going to meds. I am 4 stone overweight and eat total rubbish and smoke so I KNOW what I need to do

In hindsight i would try diet and exercise beforehand, a lot depends on how you feel, if its causing you problems I would maybe take the pills and get the weight off quickly.......... if not maybe just try diet and exercise...........

Welcome to the club :)

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Certainly change your diet to reduce the carbs and make up with proteins and fats as well as veg etc. Metformin will help as well if you are overweight and is a very safe drug

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome
I will tag @daisy1 who will post some helpful advice for newcomers. A lot to read and understand but do ask questions and people will try and help.
If you want to try without Metformin why not ask your doctor if you can try for 3 months and see how that goes. I had a severe reaction after a couple of days and was taken off with the intention of going back on. I pleaded to try without and was given 3 months. It was (and still is) hard work but that I knew. Diet - low carb is what a lot do on here so ask questions and people will help. Exercise - yes I found that really helpful but I have to keep it up.

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@seandrv

Hello Sean and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find this useful. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

seandrv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@seandrv

Hello Sean and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find this useful. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Great information, thanks x

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@seandrv,
Metformin is a relatively "harmless" med, so whether you use it or not is up to you, but in my opinion & experience getting into improvements in diet & exercise will provide the major spearhead in improving your blood figures.
I was initially put on insulin but by cutting back on carbs, I have gone to a HbA1c that is firmly in the sub 40's non diabetic territory:cool:.
i wish you luck & success in geting your figures down!:)

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I advise you to stick with the metformin for now. If you wish to try a lower dose you can do so. Metformin is relatively safe and offers you several much needed advantages. It will aid you tremendously with your weight loss, help you manage your appetite, and sensitize your insulin. I recommend taking vitamin B supplements in parallel. I believe that the earlier you manage your weight/blood glucose the better.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As there are no medical experts on this forum so we can't advise on taking medication or not that is between you and your doctor. All we can do is tell you of personal experiences with Metformin it can help with weight loss and the majority who take it are happy with it

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed my FBG was 16.9 and I was put on Metformin plus I did a complete overhaul of my diet. At the end of the day you have to do what you feel is right for you. The most important thing you can do right now is to start making positive dietary and lifestyle changes no matter what.

Reactions: 4 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only you can decide if you want/wish to take metformin, discuss with your GP. From my own experience, I fought for my GP to allow me to try and get my BG levels down in 3 months with diet controlled. I reduced my carb intake (I have since reduced it further after joining this site).
Changes in diet can make a significant difference, have a look at the low-carb forum or some ideas.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Metformin works better for some than others but at this stage you need all the help you can get.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can tolerate metformin well (and most people seem to be able to take the slow release version if not the ordinary one with out many problems) then It is probably worth using it to start with as it should help to get your BG levels down. I understand it can help with weight loss by suppressing appetite and if your diet and exercise efforts are successful you can always come off the metformin once levels are reduced.
If you do take metformin do ensure you still make the necessary diet and exercise changes as metformins effect on blood sugar is limited. A low carb/high fat diet and exercise (20 min walk twice a day particularly after meals) should work wonders and metformin can help in the early stages and appears to be very safe.

Ddave

I personally are 4 weeks in as D2. Lost 2 kgs..still 117kg..but got bs down to average 8.5 mmog/l from initial 14.4 mmog/l fasting...I aim for sub 6..but know it will take time. introduced 2 hours light exercise split over morning and night...waterrower + low carb diet. Doctor thinks I am crazy and disagrees..have a bundle of Metformin and Glicazide sitting unused...it make me feel rotten..like puking and many rushes to toilet. I believe better to try the big push to lose 20kgs instead..reading here..it seems to have worked for most. I also read up on the drugs and yes they do have side effects in short term, plus long term damages like most drugs to organs etc and would seem to lack long term effectiveness if just stick to them..anyhow also do not feel like exercise while on them either. Value other peoples feedback.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it ain't broke, why fix it ?

Diet, Exercise and Metformin is working fine for me so I'm going to continue for as long as possible.

P.S. I had absolutely no side effects from taking Metformin so my opinion of the drug is based on that experience.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit late to this one but.. diagnosed 30/10/15 with FBG of 12.2mmol/l prescribed regular metformin 2g once per day.. not good shall we say... plenty of time on the loo. After a week had a call with Diabetes Nurse told her what was happening and was put on the slow release metformin. Tried that for 2 more weeks either constipated or more trips to the loo. Stopped taking on 20/11 since then bought myself an SD codefree and am now seeing levels in the 5.5-8 range every day without meds but doing very low carb diet.
Have lost about a stone and had no further symptoms. Continuing with VLC to see how much weight I can loose. Started off at a touch under 23 stone but would like to get to 18 as a primary target. Just my two pennorth..

JamesW2612

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi

Hi Seandrv - Its a lot to take in isnt it!! I know when i first diagnosed i was in shock.
Make sure you find out as much information as you can about diabetes, there is so much to learn and you can find so much information here on this forum!

When i was first diagnosed my fasting reading was 19 - I was determined to not use medication and to do it with diet only.
6 or so months later and doing the last 4 months on low carb, my fasting reading is still around 9 - so it seems i am going to have to use medication to help. I hope it wont be for long, i hope i just need that little extra push!

Good luck!

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost 3 stone since being diagnosed as T2, lost first couple very fast, took a bit longer to loose the third stone as I plateaued. Have one more to go. I do walking football its fab, (better than power walking) at least 2 times a week and futsal, depending on work,I'm so much fitter.