Alternative to bread!

pjs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl also do a low GI loaf which doesn't spike me. Much lighter consistency than the high protein rols

toulouse-tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make my own Oat soda bread. 500g pot Natural Yoghurt, 1 egg, 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda and oats (fill the Yoghurt pot twice with any oats or porridge). mix together and put in a loaf tin in a preheated oven 180c for 50 min, remove from tin and return for a further 10 min. You can exchange some volume of oats with oat germ / pinhead oatmeal / wholemeal flour and add seeds. It freezes well and is very similar to Irish Soda bread. Great with savory or sweet... keeps for about 5 days in the bread tin without going mouldy. Not sure the precise effect on the bloods but I have lost 10kg in weight since being diagnosed T2 in June by removing cereal and white bread from my diet. HBAC1 levels in normal range now... As there is no yeast breaking down the carbs to sugars - the more unprocessed the oats the lower the sugar content...

Annina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone found out how many carbs there are in the Llidl rolls? They were 29p in my local Lidl today.

parishilton

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just looked in my local lidl and can't find the rolls. Are they with the regular bread?
Anyone got a photo of the packaging they'd like to share?

dipakotak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is an image I got from Internet.
4996121f76054a2e50273257ceab528a.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Has anyone found out how many carbs there are in the Llidl rolls? They were 29p in my local Lidl today.
8.5g of carbs per 100g. The ones I weighed were around 120g so there would be around 10-10.5g of carbs per roll.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
The low carb high protien rolls are they the brown ones with seed all over?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl also do a low GI loaf which doesn't spike me. Much lighter consistency than the high protein rols
Yes I bought one of those last week as I don't like the rolls The bread was a surprise dark but with a very light texture and much nicer than the rolls which I find to solid will certainly buy that again

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have seen the LIDL low GI loaf too, and will try it sometime.
I bought a Vogel's Wholemeal & Oat loaf today (£1.50 for a 800g loaf in Sainsburys. It has 34.3g of carbohydrates
of which 3.3g sugars, per 100g. 14.4g (1.4g sugars) per slice which are about 3" x 2.5". I had a couple of slices toasted with peanut butter for lunch, and it tastes nice. Good toasted too. It does have some seeds but not as seedy as the Burgen bread.