Baby twins and t1 diagnosis 2yr old

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi
I know this isn't pregnancy but my baby twins are still a few weeks old after being born prem and am still expressing.

My little girl who has just turned 2 was diagnosed on Friday with t1 diabetes so in hospital with her now. I'm t1 for 35 yrs on pump -I feel so devastated for her.

Trying to juggle everything including my sugars whilst still expressing just all feels soooo hard.

I've posted in parents forum too but thought would post on here as well.

Morale support or anyone in similar situation?

Reactions: 2 people

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Sarah, you are really really brave lady and just hang in there..this too shall pass. I can imagine how you feel, I have a year and half old daughter and any little issue with her gets me so worked up.

My prayers are with you, I am more than certain you will be such a brilliant teacher for your 2 year old and help her manage things better.

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hi
I know this isn't pregnancy but my baby twins are still a few weeks old after being born prem and am still expressing.

My little girl who has just turned 2 was diagnosed on Friday with t1 diabetes so in hospital with her now. I'm t1 for 35 yrs on pump -I feel so devastated for her.

Trying to juggle everything including my sugars whilst still expressing just all feels soooo hard.

I've posted in parents forum too but thought would post on here as well.

Morale support or anyone in similar situation?

So sorry to hear of your little girls diagnosis. Plus looking after new born twins, type 1 yourself and coping with giving birth is such a lot to cope with. Try and get lots of help and support from your partner, family and close friends, health visitor too, don't be afraid to ask.
Wishing you all the best in the world and any time you want to ask anything or have a moan or need a shoulder, just post on the forum, as there are many helpful and supportive members.
Please make sure you take care of your self, physically and mentally too.

RRB x

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A huge hug for you {{hug}}

I can't imagine how horrible it is to have a child diagnosed. The only thing of comfort I can say is that hopefully she won't have to wait many years for a cure. Things are progressing SO quickly now.

And I completely sympathise with how hard it must be with the twins. I find breastfeeding one baby hard enough with the total nuisance that diabetes is - eating, testing, lows.

All I can say is don't let it overwhelm you. Get through each hour, each job, one by one. You're clearly a very strong lady and you can do it. Don't worry about the future too much. Concentrate on doung what you have to now and forget all the non-important things.

Wishing you and your family all the best.

Azure xxxxx

Reactions: 5 people

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I just posted on the other thread too but here's a hug on this one. One of my children was diagnosed with a kidney auto immune condition just over a year ago and it is an incredibly difficult thing to come to terms with especially when you know the ups and downs of living with a chronic condition intimately. Even more so when it is one where you know all the ins and outs of the condition and won't be comforted by the platitudes they give you. There is a girl with type 1 in my twins class and she also has a sister with it. What i can see from them is how much the treatment of the condition hss moved on from when i was diagnosed in 1983. Also the social isolation (which i founf the hardest part as a child -being known as the diabetic rather than tigger) is now much less as about 50%of my kids'classes seem to have some form of special diet which means diabetes doesn't stick out as much plus there is a lot more flexibility in the new regimes.

Regarding the stage you're at which i remember well, some advice i was given at the time when we were in and out of hospital with various premature issues like not breathing etc was "you do the best you can for the good of the whole family and that includes you" . If that means giving formula either occasionally or regularly so others can feed and you can rest so be it. Although they always come out with scare stories about formula increasing the risk of diabetes the family i refer to above were all breast fed and at the end of the day it's down to statistics and you just have to accept we can't control every outcome.

Good luck. I hope you get lots of support and just take it one step at a time. When you first get news like this it puts you into shock, then turns to grieving for what is no longer, then often anger until eventually you teach acceptance. It takes time. And don't expect it to be any faster because you know what type 1 is.

On the positive side at least you'll know when medics are talking sense and when it's rubbish. Also you'll have a better idea of what regime is most likely to suit your daughter. If you're in London and want to go down the pump route and your hospital isn't keen pm me as i have a friend who's a paed endo and can let you know which hospitals are more likely to fund.

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Big hugs sent from Spain.

5years ago this Christmas me, my wife and now 5 year old daughter decided to pack up and move to lovely Galicia (North Spain) to be closer to her family. Everything going great until February 2014 I was diagnosed with t1. My immediate thought was 'oh what has happened' and didnt have a clue what diabetes was. Well the same year in may I had a 7 inch in-growing hair removed from my backside, this put me in bed for 2 months as I couldn't sit down. One evening in June my wife said to me "Steve, I think Rafa(our son of 15months at the time) is weighing a little less than before" Oh s#*t my whole world came crashing right there and then. Did a reading on him and his fasting level was at 380 mg/dl. On arrival to hospital his levels were up to 490.

He has been a forever superstar since his diagnosis. Not once a cry at finger pricking, insulin jab or blood test.

Our biggest problem is he is being raised a bilingual child. He will be 3 in January and still unable to express his high and lows. He has had it for half of his life now and at 3 years old he is checking his levels with supervision and preparing his pens with the needle to be jabbed. Incredible but extremely scary at the same time.

All I can say is stay strong and you know where there are lots of people to help. Right here.

As I said before big hugs from Spain.

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tears in my eyes reading this, but yes I am silently sending out a prayer for god to help each and every one of us to stay strong.

Reactions: 6 people

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are doing amazingly. I would really second tigger's advice - it's difficult to put yourself first, but try to take care of yourself so that you can take care of your little ones in turn. If anyone offers help, take it! You can't change your daughter's diagnosis, but your first-hand experience of diabetes puts you in the best possible position to help her manage it.

Take care.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
You are so brave .
Having so many little one's to care for and have to split your time up for all .

Please do try and take time out for 'just you' .
As if you don't all can catch up and then you wont feel able to look
after all your little ones .
This way you will feel more able to keep going and cope with it all .

Your daughter is very lucky to have you as her mummy.
With her diabetes to know just exactly what to do and look out for .
Please pop in here anytime - ask for our help and support .
We can all help you someway .
Even if its a quick banter or some reassurance needed .
It will be here waiting for you .

Another prayer and (((hug))) for you .
Keep strong and lean on us when in need .

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
T
Hey Sarah, you are really really brave lady and just hang in there..this too shall pass. I can imagine how you feel, I have a year and half old daughter and any little issue with her gets me so worked up.

My prayers are with you, I am more than certain you will be such a brilliant teacher for your 2 year old and help her manage things better.
thank you

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So sorry to hear of your little girls diagnosis. Plus looking after new born twins, type 1 yourself and coping with giving birth is such a lot to cope with. Try and get lots of help and support from your partner, family and close friends, health visitor too, don't be afraid to ask.
Wishing you all the best in the world and any time you want to ask anything or have a moan or need a shoulder, just post on the forum, as there are many helpful and supportive members.
Please make sure you take care of your self, physically and mentally too.

RRB x
Thanks RRB-couldn't cope without my family helping!

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A huge hug for you {{hug}}

I can't imagine how horrible it is to have a child diagnosed. The only thing of comfort I can say is that hopefully she won't have to wait many years for a cure. Things are progressing SO quickly now.

And I completely sympathise with how hard it must be with the twins. I find breastfeeding one baby hard enough with the total nuisance that diabetes is - eating, testing, lows.

All I can say is don't let it overwhelm you. Get through each hour, each job, one by one. You're clearly a very strong lady and you can do it. Don't worry about the future too much. Concentrate on doung what you have to now and forget all the non-important things.

Wishing you and your family all the best.

Azure xxxxx
Thanks Azure. It's definitely one big challenge!

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just posted on the other thread too but here's a hug on this one. One of my children was diagnosed with a kidney auto immune condition just over a year ago and it is an incredibly difficult thing to come to terms with especially when you know the ups and downs of living with a chronic condition intimately. Even more so when it is one where you know all the ins and outs of the condition and won't be comforted by the platitudes they give you. There is a girl with type 1 in my twins class and she also has a sister with it. What i can see from them is how much the treatment of the condition hss moved on from when i was diagnosed in 1983. Also the social isolation (which i founf the hardest part as a child -being known as the diabetic rather than tigger) is now much less as about 50%of my kids'classes seem to have some form of special diet which means diabetes doesn't stick out as much plus there is a lot more flexibility in the new regimes.

Regarding the stage you're at which i remember well, some advice i was given at the time when we were in and out of hospital with various premature issues like not breathing etc was "you do the best you can for the good of the whole family and that includes you" . If that means giving formula either occasionally or regularly so others can feed and you can rest so be it. Although they always come out with scare stories about formula increasing the risk of diabetes the family i refer to above were all breast fed and at the end of the day it's down to statistics and you just have to accept we can't control every outcome.

Good luck. I hope you get lots of support and just take it one step at a time. When you first get news like this it puts you into shock, then turns to grieving for what is no longer, then often anger until eventually you teach acceptance. It takes time. And don't expect it to be any faster because you know what type 1 is.

On the positive side at least you'll know when medics are talking sense and when it's rubbish. Also you'll have a better idea of what regime is most likely to suit your daughter. If you're in London and want to go down the pump route and your hospital isn't keen pm me as i have a friend who's a paed endo and can let you know which hospitals are more likely to fund.
Thanks Tigger -I was diagnosed in 1982 - no diet things in those days! The sizes of the needles one big change. We are not in London but have the option of a pump so considering it at the moment. Thanks for your support x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Big hugs sent from Spain.

5years ago this Christmas me, my wife and now 5 year old daughter decided to pack up and move to lovely Galicia (North Spain) to be closer to her family. Everything going great until February 2014 I was diagnosed with t1. My immediate thought was 'oh what has happened' and didnt have a clue what diabetes was. Well the same year in may I had a 7 inch in-growing hair removed from my backside, this put me in bed for 2 months as I couldn't sit down. One evening in June my wife said to me "Steve, I think Rafa(our son of 15months at the time) is weighing a little less than before" Oh s#*t my whole world came crashing right there and then. Did a reading on him and his fasting level was at 380 mg/dl. On arrival to hospital his levels were up to 490.

He has been a forever superstar since his diagnosis. Not once a cry at finger pricking, insulin jab or blood test.

Our biggest problem is he is being raised a bilingual child. He will be 3 in January and still unable to express his high and lows. He has had it for half of his life now and at 3 years old he is checking his levels with supervision and preparing his pens with the needle to be jabbed. Incredible but extremely scary at the same time.

All I can say is stay strong and you know where there are lots of people to help. Right here.

As I said before big hugs from Spain.
Hi Steve hope things going ok in Spain. Sounds like Rafa doing really well. My daughter seems to be doing well with tests and injections but her sugars seem to vary st the moment but early days I guess. Just had first hypo tonight.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are doing amazingly. I would really second tigger's advice - it's difficult to put yourself first, but try to take care of yourself so that you can take care of your little ones in turn. If anyone offers help, take it! You can't change your daughter's diagnosis, but your first-hand experience of diabetes puts you in the best possible position to help her manage it.

Take care.
Thanks x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are so brave .
Having so many little one's to care for and have to split your time up for all .

Please do try and take time out for 'just you' .
As if you don't all can catch up and then you wont feel able to look
after all your little ones .
This way you will feel more able to keep going and cope with it all .

Your daughter is very lucky to have you as her mummy.
With her diabetes to know just exactly what to do and look out for .
Please pop in here anytime - ask for our help and support .
We can all help you someway .
Even if its a quick banter or some reassurance needed .
It will be here waiting for you .

Another prayer and (((hug))) for you .
Keep strong and lean on us when in need .
Thanks -managed to grab a costa whilst at the hospital today with my little boy after stressing my daughter was ok (with grandma), making sure his twin ok (with my sister) then having to get him to lay still for X-rays (he was very wriggly for a small baby -still only 8lb ish), then I had a hypo-all the stress I think- but my latte tasted great!