Is HB1AC the same in French?

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can any of your French speakers out there tell me if Hb1AC is the same in French and if not, what is it? I am seeing the diabetic nurse next week for the first time and want to check that that is what the prescription I have from the doctor is for in 2 months time.

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes that's what they put on the prescription for the lab test but she'll probably call it 'hémoglobine glyquée
(mine though is still given in percentage not mmol/mol as they now use in the UK see converter.http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html )

If you are measuring your own glucose levels with a monitor then the French are a bit 'odd' they use monitors in mg/dl (not mmol/l) but read it as grams per litre. (eg: 90mg/dl would be read as 0.9g/l and 150mg/dl as 1.5g/l)
There is a French wiki page that shows 'average' levels in g/l as normally used in France and mmol/l as in the UK for HbA1c https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hémoglobine_glyquée

Reactions: 2 people

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes that's what they put on the prescription for the lab test but she'll probably call it 'hémoglobine glyquée
I also want to ask her about a blood glucose monitor and testing strips Any idea what these are in French? I ran it through a translator and came up with "Les glucides de sang contrôle et des bandes testantes" but sometimes those things come up with the most extraordinary translations! This sounds reasonable. Do you think she'll understand that or do you have a better translation? I have an SD Cordefree monitor that I am currently using but if I can get one on prescription in France, along with testing strips, it would obviously save me money. Any other technical words that may come up on the course that may help me and stop me from slowing down the session if I already know them?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
monitor Lecteur de glycemie, strips are bandelettes . Self monitoring is L’autosurveillanceglycémique I think that you are still entitled to a monitor every 4 years but the prescription of strips is extremely limited.

Back in 2011 the government decided that it was going to limit everyone of whatever type or treatment to one strip per day. There was a lot of publicity about what that would mean for Type 1s with heartfelt newstories about how it would effect children . The government then came up with the present regulations normally restricting them to People using insulin, people who use certain drugs and can cause hypos and people who aren't reaching their targets when they can be used at 2 per week to max 2 per day,in the short term, as an educative tool. In people not on insulin they are limited to 200 a year,
http://www.has-sante.fr/portail/upl...cemique_diabete_type_2_fiche_de_bon_usage.pdf