Sharp disposal

Dyadya_Maykl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance.
When I took my box of sharps back to my local GP surgery this last week I was told that they have stopped taking them. Apparently this operation is carried out by my local council. The receptionist informed me that councils now have the responsibility, not the GP.
The surgery duly issued me a form - you have to be a registered diabetic to use this service.
I received a letter back from the council trash office on Friday 16th Oct that they were sending someone to pick up my waste on 15th Oct. That was a good start, I thought!
However, I am concerned. Using the doctor's surgery gave me the flexibility to take the waste when I was able to do so. I do a lot of things during the week and cannot guarantee to be about for collection services. More concerning is that on looking at the sites regarding sharp disposal made me realize that a charge for collection may be levied. The service is run by Veolia - so who pays them? But it seems crazy. The GP surgeries are ideal drop off points, so would substantially reduce collection costs comparied to direct home collection. I smell a rat...the rat of collection levies.
So, does anyone know about what is going on?

In a similar vein, I am surprised and alarmed to see frequent comment on these pages about test strip and monitoring aid charges. My GP has always prescribed these facilities. I have never paid for any prescription substance since my diagnosis in 1971. I was led to understand these were all free for people suffering diabetes. However, my meters have usually been provided by the Hospital clinic. I suggested to the clinic that I may need a new clinic on a recent visit, and was told they will write to my GP to prescribe one, so it looks like expenses are being fed back to the GP. Having found a spare meter I have not gone to the GP to prescribe a new one, so I cannot comment on the service. However, I have always found that direct approach to the doctor is usually sufficient. I mean talking direct to one of the practice doctors seems to get what is needed. I never talk about adding or removal of items on prescription with any locum, and certainly not with the receptionists or practice admin staff.

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

You are lucky! Neither my GP or local council will take sharps boxes, so I have to make a ten mile round trip to drop them off at the nearest chemist who will take them!

Dyadya_Maykl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance.
You are lucky! Neither my GP or local council will take sharps boxes, so I have to make a ten mile round trip to drop them off at the nearest chemist who will take them!
Surely you can drop them in at your local hospital?
I am sure many people discretely dispose of them in their local waste. Although the actual details are far from clear, it would appear that that is not an actual offence if not hazardous, and they would surely only be classified as hazardous if the person using the syringes suffered a disease such as HIV.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Are you type 1 or 2? It is not thought neccessary for type 2s to test:oops: but of course that view depends whether you are the diabetic, Doctor or DSN most type 2 think it important to test in order to keep BG level and to check/avoid foods that spike us, the NHS however has made drastic cuts and not giving type 2's meters & strips is one of them so in order to keep control and stay healthy we self fund. If you are type 2 and get all your supplies from your Doctor then you are a very lucky man and I'm jealous

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that the council.would collect them, they rang me to.arrange collection and said that.as it was between 3am and 7am to leave.on my doorstep! !! I live in a block of flats and they Said I should leave them out the front...I've refused so I'm collecting them at the moment!

M

mrspuddleduck

Surely you can drop them in at your local hospital?
I am sure many people discretely dispose of them in their local waste. Although the actual details are far from clear, it would appear that that is not an actual offence if not hazardous, and they would surely only be classified as hazardous if the person using the syringes suffered a disease such as HIV.
My local hospital is a 34 mile round trip! Re people dumping them in their waste, however discretely, personally as an ex health care professional who has had to endure the 3 months of testing after a sharps injury 'just in case' I don't care whether it's legal or not, it is beyond disgusting!! How does the recipient of a needle stick injury know which needles are clean or not?

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a sharps box prescribed for lancets and then the surgery decided that I wouldn't get one. Since I use the one use disposable Unistik lancets, I called my local council and they said they were fine to go into household waste.

The fingerpricker needle retracts back into the plastic casing so someone would have to physically break it open to stick themselves. The little plastic bits that you pull out and remove to arm the lancet, go in the recycling.

Buzzthediver

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick note. As far as im aware a council has a legal obligation to collect your sharps and for free. As for being hazardous all sharps one used by anyone are classed as hazardous and must be destroyed by burning under EU law.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
According to my council its down to the gp's. the council officer said and this is a direct quote 'we'll only pick up sharps if some one reports them to us in the street' so short of dumping on the pavement and getting my neighbour to ring (not something I'm suggesting anyone does) it looks like its the local chemist or the GP's

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Mine is almost ready for changing and the council collects them as they did collect mine last time.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Council collected I just rang them and they picked up next morning and left me a new sharps box :)

Romeran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A diabetic nurse said to me that for Type 2 finger pricking sharps, it is acceptable to put them in household rubbish but only in a container with a lid. I find it quite wrong to dispose of any sharps without ensuring that people cannot be scratched by them.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
A diabetic nurse said to me that for Type 2 finger pricking sharps, it is acceptable to put them in household rubbish but only in a container with a lid. I find it quite wrong to dispose of any sharps without ensuring that people cannot be scratched by them.
After bending the pin I put mine in an empty sharps container and seal the lid with cellotape

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was under the impression that needles had to be disposed of in a sharps container....which is what I do with mine the containers are provided by the council who will when full take the container away and leave you a fresh one to fill up :p

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I have to ring my local council 6 weeks prior to collection of my sharps bin, and they have arranged a collection for: 28th JANUARY, 2016.

MellitusTrap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On a related question, the insulin pens (that one attaches and removes the needles from) - are they okay to go in the dustbin or is the insulin (residue) a hazard to people or animal

In answer to the OP, in the north west of England, the yellow sharps boxes are collected by the council now. And now that you point it out - someone must be making a killing on the collection.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
On a related question, the insulin pens (that one attaches and removes the needles from) - are they okay to go in the dustbin or is the insulin (residue) a hazard to people or animal

Dustbin, as long as the needle is removed before disposal.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

In answer to the OP, in the north west of England, the yellow sharps boxes are collected by the council now. And now that you point it out - someone must be making a killing on the collection.[/QUOT

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi MellitusTrap. I would put used syringes into Sharon's bin just to be safe. William.