Beer/alcohol

Mattcross83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah cool cheers defiantly looks like coors is the best then even though still not really good

Tim1958

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know what's the best beer/alcohol to drink which doesn't make you got to high!?
Sorry Matt but I have to stay to non- alcoholic drinks (several lagers on sale), some are pretty good and it looks like you are drinking properly!

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the opposite problem, I find that all alcohol tends to drop my sugar and end up having to drink spirits with full sugar mixers to keep them up! Last night after sharing a bottle of wine my sugar was 5.4 going to bed, I had 2 digestives and was freezing cold (another thing Ive found) I then woke about 3 coming out of hypo - sweating and high sugar this morning. Whats that all about??
The night time hypo is because you drank alcohol, all alcohol will spike the blood sugars and then drop them fast, if you are gonna drink alcohol always have a sandwich or something more than digestives before bed to keep your blood sugars from falling during the night

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ohhh and ne
The night time hypo is because you drank alcohol, all alcohol will spike the blood sugars and then drop them fast, if you are gonna drink alcohol always have a sandwich or something more than digestives before bed to keep your blood sugars from falling during the night
ohhh and never use alcohol topped with full sugar juice to correct a hypo as that will not work, please always use food to do that xx

LauraC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always find that after drinking alcohol my sugar's remain low the next day.
I drink gin & slimline tonic usually as that doesn't make my sugar's too high.

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
I've never been able to master keeping tight control whilst and have tried so many different combinations, it feels like you almost have to 'cheat' or 'hack' the diabetes. I find if I'm planning on drink a significant amount I start with a decent meal and try to make sure I'm at a good starting point- then have either gin & tonic, or vodka & diet coke- trying to make sure it's from a bottle if possible or absolutely drill into them that it must be diet. After the first 2/3 drinks there is an inevitable drop and I'll drink sugary mixers instead- wherever it goes from there I just surf on sugary/non sugary mixers to keep on an even keel, surprisingly successful.

Have never found bolusing for any drink is useful, always comes back to bite you later on.

Always make sure to eat well before bed and if you're on a pump/do evening basal injection, temporarily lower your basal for the duration of your sleep.

Love beer but had to stop drinking it altogether as it always results in a spike- interesting above that someone mentioned coors light is relatively low in carbohydrate! :)

dazza190574

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I remember reading you should have cards after a drink. Brilliant I thought, I have to have chips after a drink now, it's medicinal

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Chow mein or biryani on way home is medicinal?:confused:

DeanLJ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mattcross83, Hi Matt, this came across my mind recently - I managed to find the below on another forum which is quite interesting:

'I have emailed the brewers of the beers below to get the exact number of carbs for their beers. These are the values they sent back. I've converted them so that they are all for a UK pint.

Beer UK pint(568ml)

Marstons Low C 3.41

Bindings Diat Pils 3.98

Miller Lite 4.26

Michelob Ultra 4.43

Coors Light 7.55

Corona Light 8.63

Amstel Light 8.63

Holsten Pils 11.19

Becks 11.36

Carlsberg 15.34

Stella Artois 16.76

Budweiser 17.32

Foster's Lager 17.61

Guiness 18.18

Foster's Ice 18.18

Michelob 20.11

Grolsh 21.58

Smirnoff Ice 44.30

WKD 60.61'

I usually drink coors lite although not very often as i get zappy feet at the moment when drinking.

I'll look out for Miller Lite though if it's even over in carbs, thanks for the above post

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Holsten pils remember the old advert All the sugar turns to alcohol also vodka not in the same glass tho

That was what I drank when first diagnosed, it was strong stuff :)

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is great, 3 nights drinking and 3 early morning hypos have left me very tired! The list Dean posted is great as I like a lager too. Am sure it's just trial and error but being able to get so much different info is great

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have to inject for beer unless it's Pure Blonde (low carb) or Big Head (which has no carbs) not sure about their availability outside of Australia. Since being diagnosed I drink more wine and spirits straight or with soda, soda lime. Some wines raise my bgl mildly. So far I have had no experiences with alcohol lowering my bgl but keep a much closer eye on it.

hedsup20

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Interesting to read the carbs on Guiness 18.18, I have just switched to drinking this and after a night out last week (7 pints, it's xmas)my bloods were only 11ml before bed, did a small correction and they were 6 in the morning.

gmw47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask tim2000s please, in your posted image, how many lagers does the graph relate to?
I drink lager but am not aware of spikes. Perhaps I should be paying closer attention. Had 4 Corona Extras yesterday from about 4pm to 8pm. Reading at 11pm was 6.6 and at 7am this morning 6.3
Diagnosed t2 in August this year, currently on diet, exercise and 1 x 500 Metformin per day (taken with evening meal about 6.30pm).
Any help gratefully received. Thank you.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Mattcross83, Hi Matt, this came across my mind recently - I managed to find the below on another forum which is quite interesting:

'I have emailed the brewers of the beers below to get the exact number of carbs for their beers. These are the values they sent back. I've converted them so that they are all for a UK pint.

Beer UK pint(568ml)

Marstons Low C 3.41

Bindings Diat Pils 3.98

Miller Lite 4.26

Michelob Ultra 4.43

Coors Light 7.55

Corona Light 8.63

Amstel Light 8.63

Holsten Pils 11.19

Becks 11.36

Carlsberg 15.34

Stella Artois 16.76

Budweiser 17.32

Foster's Lager 17.61

Guiness 18.18

Foster's Ice 18.18

Michelob 20.11

Grolsh 21.58

Smirnoff Ice 44.30

WKD 60.61'
Thanks Adam29 that's so useful

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I usually drink Stella and I inject 1 unit to avoid the spike which otherwise I would have, after 20 minutes. I tried the Pure Blonde in Australia (low carb beer) and i actually didn't get any spike.

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the opposite problem, I find that all alcohol tends to drop my sugar and end up having to drink spirits with full sugar mixers to keep them up! Last night after sharing a bottle of wine my sugar was 5.4 going to bed, I had 2 digestives and was freezing cold (another thing Ive found) I then woke about 3 coming out of hypo - sweating and high sugar this morning. Whats that all about??
I had a hypo when swimming the day after a few drinks at night. The nurse told me that when your liver is busy processing the alcohol it cannot release glucose into the bloodstream and this can cause a hypo twelve hours later.