Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
Hi,

I have a friend who is just over 28 weeks pregnant and was told yesterday that as she had a fasting blood of 5.4 yesterday she will have to go to the diabetes clinic.
As a type 1 diabetic 5.4 to me is amazing :) but in GD terms is this very high? is she likely to have GD?? she is a larger girl which would be an added risk and they did say she had extra fluid.

I just want to put her mind at ease or help give her as much info as possible she is very worried.

any advice or information will be greatly appreciated.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :)

The guidelines for GD have been tightened up recently. Read more here:

https://www.nice.org.uk/news/article/new-thresholds-for-diagnosis-of-diabetes-in-pregnancy

Has she had a Glucose Tolerance Test? That shows how her body deals with glucose - that is, does her blood sugar go back into normal range.

Has she received an official diagnosis of GD or are they doing further tests at the clinic?

Although it must be very worrying for her, tell her not to panic. It's a good thing they've spotted something that needs an eye on. In the past, a number of women with GD slipped through the net, hence the tightening of guidelines.

If she does have GD, she may be able to control it with diet. Let us know how she gets on at the diabetes clinic :) If she's really concerned, could she speak to her midwife to find out more?

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
Thanks for the information that has been a big help.
She hasn't had an official diagnosis but she will probably get GTT, this is what I assumed would happen as well.
She is just a natural born worrier.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're welcome :) Nothing wrong with a bit of worrying when your pregnant - it's totally normal. I hope you can reassure her that, even if she does have GD, it shouldn't be a problem, hopefully just a nuisance at worst.

It's good to be kept a close eye on when you're pregnant, so I hope she sees it that way rather than a source of anxiety.

Best wishes to her for a health pregnancy :)

Reactions: 2 people