highs

martina

Hello, I posted last week about the fact that my daughter was having highs at 10am. She eats breakfast at around 8am and at her 10am check everyday last week she was high. I tested the morning basals on Friday and they were spot on. Therefore for today I changed the bolus to give her more with breakfast. However at 10am today she was 4.6, she woke this morning at 6.8. This tells me that she obviously got too much insulin with breakfast. Her carb ratio was 1 to 7 which gave her 8 units with breakfast now it is 1 to 6 which wants to give 9.3. I thought this was too much so I adjusted the carbs so that she got 8.9 and that was still too much. I'm confused as to what to do next. Do I keep her carbs the same and just give less than what the pump tells me or could I now adjust the basals to fit with the bolus.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just adjust the dose manually until you get it right, you don't want her going hypo when this can be avoided.

Rocky Racoon

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My son was high all the time and no matter what we did with the bolus, it just didn't fix it.

Our diabetes clinic adjusted his night time basal and that seemed to sort it.

They said if you get a high reading at a certain time of day, then tweak the bolus. If he's high numerous times during the day, then it's the bolus that needs fixing.