Could i have Diabetes ?

belfast

Hi all, I was just hoping to get some advice/opinions. I suffer from severe night sweats and have done for a bout a year now. I seem to sweat more around my head and legs. I also get achy arms and have reduced power in my grip in both hands. I feel pretty tired a lot of the time and after dinner all I want to do is sleep. I've notice too that I get the odd dizzy spell. There is also a reduction in my libido. I've had lots of tests done with no answer as to why I am experiencing these symptoms. Diabetes has never been mentioned as a possibilty by my GP or the hospital. I just happened to notice that last night I had no sweats so started thinking what was different about yesterday. I realised that I had eaten a sugary crem bun not long before bed time and am wondering if this could have had an affect on my sweating. I have booked myself in for a diabetes blood test anyway out of curiousity but it's not until next Tuesday. I was just wondering does anyone hink I might be on the right track or am I clutching at straws ???
Thanks in advance.

belfast

Hi all, I was just hoping to get some advice/opinions. I suffer from severe night sweats and have done for a bout a year now. I seem to sweat more around my head and legs. I also get achy arms and have reduced power in my grip in both hands. I feel pretty tired a lot of the time and after dinner all I want to do is sleep. I've notice too that I get the odd dizzy spell. There is also a reduction in my libido. I've had lots of tests done with no answer as to why I am experiencing these symptoms. Diabetes has never been mentioned as a possibilty by my GP or the hospital. I just happened to notice that last night I had no sweats so started thinking what was different about yesterday. I realised that I had eaten a sugary crem bun not long before bed time and am wondering if this could have had an affect on my sweating. I have booked myself in for a diabetes blood test anyway out of curiousity but it's not until next Tuesday. I was just wondering does anyone hink I might be on the right track or am I clutching at straws ???
Thanks in advance.
Meant to say I get bad headaches too and wake up with them a lot of the time.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, generally speaking, people with diabetes experience MORE side-effects after eating something high in sugar (carbohydrates). Even still, we're not doctors and no one can diagnose you over the internet.

The easiest way to tell if diabetes is a consideration is to buy a glucometer and test your blood sugar periodically throughout the day (before eating and/or 2 hrs after eating are generally good times).

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your symptoms aren't typical of diabetes but that doesn't exclude it. Most chemists will do a spot blood test for free but as you have a booked test that's fine

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@belfast Those don't sound particularly like diabetes symptoms mate, but having said that I had a set of non-typical symptoms. Wait and see how the test goes. It could be one of a thousand thing wrong with you, most of which will be nothing to worry about. I guess though that hasn't stopped your mind racing. Make sure though that they get to the bottom of it. If you aren't happy with what your GP is telling you insist on a referral to a GP.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Thanks in advance.

Hope you don't mind the personal question but are you on any anti-depressant medication or mental health meds? Some of them are well known for causing night sweats and loss of libido in men and women is one of the commonest side effects.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At least after Tues you can either confirm diabetes or rule it out. Im also in the process of elimination in regard to my hwadaches and lightheadedness so I know how frustrating it can be.

belfast

Thanks again all. Yup it's seriously frustrating. No, I'm not on anti depressants. Only thing I take is ramipril for high blood pressure. Had a sugary snack last night again before bed as a tester. No sweats and no headache this morning. Odd !!!

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
you can get low blood sugar without being diabetic. That could cause sweats and headache. Again not a doctor but it used to happen during the day to my daughter. Good luck with the blood test.

MellitusTrap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was once told, most alcoholics die from hypoglycaemic comas (caused by low blood sugar). Diabetics have high blood sugars, and suffer more from low blood sugars only when they have had more treatment than necessary (or skipped a meal or exercised more than normal etc).

The symptoms of being drunk are similar to the symptoms of low blood sugar, even down to slurred speech.

Just because symptoms are similar does not indicate you are or are not diabetic, but likewise, that does not mean you don't have a valid concern either.

I'd certainly recommend you have a candid discussion with your doc, and let them know your concerns. If they send you for a blood test, (that reveals your three month blood sugar average), ask your doc to tell you the actual result (the number and unit). You'd be surprised the number of diabetics on here who wish their doctor had mentioned they were pre-diabetic back when they had more ability to prevent it worsening.

Last edited by a moderator: