After a few "good" weeks....

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
After a few pretty good weeks of very few RH symptoms things suddenly change! My fasting levels have dropped from mid 5's to mid 4's and I'm feeling shaky and anxious again. Does anyone else go through this and any ideas why?

My evening routine hasn't changed and I'm having the same breakfast as usual, which for the last few days doesn't seems to provide me with enough energy to comfortably do the school run (Greek yogurt, a small amount of muesli - no added sugar variety and dried fruit removed - half a doz raspberries and blueberries, almonds and a sprinkle of cinnamon). I've been doing well on this breakfast for weeks.

I realise that mid 4's as a fasting level is normal and I should be happy with this, but I find if I start the day on the lower side, I tend to stay that way all day. Anyone else have this problem? x

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't draw any conclusions yet.

When I first got my blood glucose properly stable I went through a while (a week or two, I think, but I can't really remember), when I felt odd. Wobbly. Weird. It was because my body wasn't used to living with this level of low stability.

Even now, it prefers to bounce me back up to the 5s and 6s, rather than seeing the 4s. And if I go into the 4s, then I feel like I am teetering on hypo - even though this is nowhere near an official hypo.

In your situation, certainly for a while, I would just sit with the new experience and see how long it takes to adjust. If you haven't adjusted after a month or so, then think again.

The problem is that most of us have been living with glucose chaos for so long that our bodies have to re-learn 'normal'.

Remembering how much problem you had trying to cut your carbs before, it may just be this is a step on the journey. Once you are used to this level, you may be able to take another step down with the carbs.

Of course, I can't see your levels 24/7 so this is just a guess.

Pure speculation: it may also be a sign that your body simply wants more fuel, in which case you could up your fat intake.

Reactions: 8 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, don't forget it is a really busy and slightly stressful time of year - you are probably dashing all over the place - you might just need a little more fuel!

@Brunneria I love your Christmas picture!

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
After a few pretty good weeks of very few RH symptoms things suddenly change! My fasting levels have dropped from mid 5's to mid 4's and I'm feeling shaky and anxious again. Does anyone else go through this and any ideas why?

My evening routine hasn't changed and I'm having the same breakfast as usual, which for the last few days doesn't seems to provide me with enough energy to comfortably do the school run (Greek yogurt, a small amount of muesli - no added sugar variety and dried fruit removed - half a doz raspberries and blueberries, almonds and a sprinkle of cinnamon). I've been doing well on this breakfast for weeks.

I realise that mid 4's as a fasting level is normal and I should be happy with this, but I find if I start the day on the lower side, I tend to stay that way all day. Anyone else have this problem? x

I totally agree with Brun! You need to give it time and as suggested just tweak your fat up a little. Getting regular fours and fives is great, keeping them there is the best treatment you will get!

Reactions: 4 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys, I'm sure you're right! I tested an hour after breakfast and I was 5.3 from my 4.7 fasting and after the school run was 5.7. I have found having a small amount of carbs has been working better for me. Yesterday lunchtime I was feeling on the low side and had two slices of low gi multigrain toast with two poached eggs. I peaked at 7.1 and felt better afterwards.

I was wondering if the extra stress and activity might be contributing @Catlady19. It's just so frustrating sometimes isn't it? I just wish my body would function properly like it used to!

I'm with you Brun! I don't like 4's! 5's and 6's are where I feel most comfortable .

Thanks again all x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks guys, I'm sure you're right! I tested an hour after breakfast and I was 5.3 from my 4.7 fasting and after the school run was 5.7. I have found having a small amount of carbs has been working better for me. Yesterday lunchtime I was feeling on the low side and had two slices of low gi multigrain toast with two poached eggs. I peaked at 7.1 and felt better afterwards.

I was wondering if the extra stress and activity might be contributing @Catlady19. It's just so frustrating sometimes isn't it? I just wish my body would function properly like it used to!

I'm with you Brun! I don't like 4's! 5's and 6's are where I feel most comfortable .

Thanks again all x

Wherever you feel comfortable, is fine, but as time passes, you might want to rethink how high/low you want to be! We're all different!

Stress like illness puts your blood glucose levels up a few points, you can forgive yourself a few percentage points if you are stressed!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just taking things one day at a time really Nosher. I still don't know enough about RH or even my own reaction to food to do any other. It's all a bit too unpredictable and changeable for my liking. Just when you think you're getting close to controlling it, things change!

It's a miserable condition, but I'm determined to beat it! I just keep telling myself there are people far worse off than me.

I've just read your post about man-flu. I don't have the experience to offer advice (I wish I could after all you've given me), but I hope you're feeling better soon. One question.... how do you know if you're in ketosis or not? Just curious really!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to think that RH was all about the food.
But the older I have got, and the better I have controlled the food, I am learning that, for me, RH is even more about the stress and stress hormones.

I don't have a particularly stressy life, very chilled, in fact. No kids, two lovely dogs, good relationship, yada yada. But work can get hairy at times. And my goodness, it impacts my RH tremendously. Much more than physical activity.

It is also much easier to eat to compensate for exercise, than for stress!

Reactions: 6 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting Brun. May be I under estimate the effect stress has on me. With two young kids and Christmas coming up, I am a little more stressed than normal! I also tend to over react if I get abnormal or confusing readings. I over think things, instead of accepting it and seeing what happens in a few days/weeks.

It may not help that I'm weaning myself off my anxiety medication at the busiest time of year! I many have to re-think that one .

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bloody hormones!
Stress,
Illness,
Pain,
Work,
Etc, etc, etc.

It all impacts on how you feel and your bloods.
Don't forget Kat, that this is a long term adjustment to your body and the how you do things for the future.
I know I feel a bit yuk at the moment but I'll be fine soon and feeling really good again!
If you consider how long it took me to get here today, then it pales into insignificance how I feel at the moment!

Jey

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kaz261 there are urine test stripes where u see are u in ketoses or not. Is that how you check Nosher or is there a other way?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Kaz261 there are urine test stripes where u see are u in ketoses or not. Is that how you check Nosher or is there a other way?

You use ketones test strips to confirm it!

I only use them now and again!

My blood glucose results normally give me the reassurance that I am in ketosis. If I manage to be in normal range all the time, I feel really good. I'm really sensitive to going out of ketosis now and I can usually feel it if I hovering above normal levels.

Ketones strips are more expensive than blood glucose ones!

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi Kaz I'm in a similar position to you doing Christmas for the kids and no help at all from other half! It is tiring I seem to remember I am tired after shopping anyway but add crazy blood sugar into the mix and it's a nightmare. You know it should all balance out again in January when we can get back to normal.
I am eating Christmas meals with everyone from work to family at the moment and it's taking its toll. But we went out the other night on a family girls night out and I tested everyone's blood sugar after the meal at their request! I was the lowest at 6.4 after two courses....it felt so good :))) keep up your efforts xxxx

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Emma. Have you got any further with your possible Hughes Syndrome diagnosis yet? How are you feeling generally?

I've just had a very strange experience...I ate dinner which was curry and a little basmati rice and an hour later I'm feeling very shaky, hot and light headed. I tested and was 5.6! I peak at an hour usually so dinner seemingly had very little effect on my levels. I did feel a little on the low side before eating but didn't test. I've had a couple of breakfast biscuits and am slowly starting to feel better but was quite frightening. Even on my OGTT I didn't hypo until 3 hours after the glucose so I'm very confused

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Emma. Have you got any further with your possible Hughes Syndrome diagnosis yet? How are you feeling generally?

I've just had a very strange experience...I ate dinner which was curry and a little basmati rice and an hour later I'm feeling very shaky, hot and light headed. I tested and was 5.6! I peak at an hour usually so dinner seemingly had very little effect on my levels. I did feel a little on the low side before eating but didn't test. I've had a couple of breakfast biscuits and am slowly starting to feel better but was quite frightening. Even on my OGTT I didn't hypo until 3 hours after the glucose so I'm very confused

The only thing I can think of is that you have spiked quickly, and your bloods have come down quickly.
Are you feeling hungry? want to eat carbs?
Have something low carb when settled, just a bite or two, a few nuts say!
Take care Kat!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Nosher. That's the only answer I could come up with, however I've never done that before.

I've now crept up to 7.5 but still feel a little shaky and off. I didn't feel particularly hungry just shaky and irritable. It came on very quickly when I was on my own with my 6 year old. Quite frightening

I had an appointment with the diabetic nurse this morning and she's adamant that at these sorts of levels I shouldn't be having these hypo type symptoms. She wants me to try sitting it out to see if I really will hypo. Not sure how I feel about that to be honest. As for the symptoms, someone needs to tell my body that I can't be having a hypo when I'm 5's or 4's!

I seem to be getting gradually worse since I halved the dose of Amitriptyline. The DN did say it can raise your levels ever so slightly, so therefore reducing the dose may lower my bs and my body needs to get used to the new level.

I hope you're feeling better today x

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find when my BS 'moves' either direction by more than a few points I feel 'funny'. Either hungry or hypo. I am generally all still in very good ranges but I "feel" when BS moves. Weather seems to have made me much more IR as well. I think I remember last year I needed higher doses in cold weather but I am not sure. I have only been 'playing this game' as a T1 for not quite a year.
I don't think there is such a thing as "all set' anymore. Things constantly change and I need to be more flexible and change with it but that is much easier said than done especially when everything runs smoothly for awhile, yu don't change anything but everything changes! Frustrating!

Reactions: 3 people

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very frustrating Kristin251. I'm not type 1 but it sounds like we experience the same symptoms. You go along quite nicely for a while and then things unexpectedly change! It's such a pain and I wonder if I can ever live a "normal" life again

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will go along with the post above, because you have done so well, to get where you are, then any sudden change or stress (again), weather, anything at all can play havoc with how you feel.
I don't think intentionally going hypo is really recommended.
You have had your OGTT! You hypo after three hours when you have more glucose, wether carbs or sugars than your body can cope with.
What more does she want!
No, I wouldn't do that!
Especially without medical care nearby!

I feeling better thanks Kaz!
Still flushing hot though!