Type 2 Life

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my first hbA1C since I was diagnosed on 1st September. It's gone from 93 to 59 so I'm doing something right! I have been running quite high the last two weeks and I think that's because of a chest cold that's not going. I've had my cholesterol as well - gone up from 6.2 to 6.8 so not so good. HDL has gone from 0.9 to 1.2 (good) but LDL has stayed the same at 4.8 (very bad). My trigs are 1.7 (don't have the old number). I'm awaiting a c-peptide result and I'm going on a 24 BP monitor on the 6th of Jan. BP is falling slowly. though from 170 over 115 to 150 over 100. I had an ECG too and that was normal.

I have a review with my GP and DN on the 11th Jan. They will know the c-peptide results and we will review my treatment. I'm also doing the Xpert course for 6 weeks and am pretty committed to staying as low carb as possible. I may have to cut some fat though to bring down my cholesterol. My DN is lovely, very encouraging and keeps telling me how impressed she is with how hard I've worked. The big question will be when I see the consultant opthalmologist at the end of January and if my moderate retinopathy needs further treatment.

I just needed to write all this down for myself somewhere so sorry if this a bit of an information dump!

Reactions: 7 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my first hbA1C since I was diagnosed on 1st September. It's gone from 93 to 59 so I'm doing something right! I have been running quite high the last two weeks and I think that's because of a chest cold that's not going. I've had my cholesterol as well - gone up from 6.2 to 6.8 so not so good. HDL has gone from 0.9 to 1.2 (good) but LDL has stayed the same at 4.8 (very bad). My trigs are 1.7 (don't have the old number). I'm awaiting a c-peptide result and I'm going on a 24 BP monitor on the 6th of Jan. BP is falling slowly. though from 170 over 115 to 150 over 100. I had an ECG too and that was normal.

I have a review with my GP and DN on the 11th Jan. They will know the c-peptide results and we will review my treatment. I'm also doing the Xpert course for 6 weeks and am pretty committed to staying as low carb as possible. I may have to cut some fat though to bring down my cholesterol. My DN is lovely, very encouraging and keeps telling me how impressed she is with how hard I've worked. The big question will be when I see the consultant opthalmologist at the end of January and if my moderate retinopathy needs further treatment.

I just needed to write all this down for myself somewhere so sorry if this a bit of an information dump!
Well done on your Hb1cA

Reactions: 5 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's what this thread is for. Life as a diabetic. You are doing really well. A drop from 93 to 59 is really good, I would accept that you would like to see it lower but it is going in the right direction. A chest cold for the last couple of weeks will not have helped as I understand HbA1c is an average of last 3 months but weighted towards the last month. I would accept that cholesterol is a bit high but with a diet change it may need time to come back down. If you are low carbing then I think some people have reported that it might go up at first and then come down. You are also doing well with the exercise which should help so real progress.
Best wishes for your review.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @Annieok No, it's all good stuff and this is the place to do it.
In the same boat as you for Lipids and really not too worried about them, for me my BGs are the main thing... my doc may want to discuss this next time we meet.
Good luck on 11-Jan.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.7 am,
fav dinner last night, crustless flan leak and chorizo... always seem to be low after that :happy:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annieok keep your chin up, you are at least making progress in the right direction and especially well done on your Hb result, its come down nicely.

Reactions: 7 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 4.9 finally managed to get some sleep, still coughing and whezzing. Girls Brigade party was good last night.

Reactions: 6 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5 am... going down for some reason.
Meant to be a day off and most of it was getting MiL to Hospital... nightmare place.... taking son to day out with local charity... shopping...
Tonight going to RSNO Christmas concert in DD1, which is always a hoot.
now those christmas cards are hiding somewhere....
Take care

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my first annual review today and it was generally very good

My HbA1C is slightly up from August (from 39 to 43) which is probably explained by my increased carb consumption (I've finished dieting now and am eating 2,000 calories a day instead of 1,500) and the DN said it's nothing to be concerned about as it's still massively down from the 107 it was a year ago!

On a far more positive note, all my blood count readings are perfect, my BMI (at 22.4) is the lowest it's been since I was a teenager and my BP at 111/65 is also excellent

The DN was brilliant - she seemed genuinely interested in how I'd managed to get things under control and basically turn my life around (this time last year I was massively overweight, had out of control blood sugar, high cholesterol and borderline high BP). We had a good chat about testing and she seemed relieved that I understood that lack of NHS funding meant I would have to continue funding my test strips myself (however, she never tried to dissuade me from self-testing).

The end result of the review was that I'm staying on the same medication (500mg metformin 2x a day) - she did say she considered suggesting trying diet alone but as I have no adverse reactions at all to metformin and my HbA1c had crept up a bit it was worth staying on them for the time being) and I'll have another review in a year (again, she said I could have a review more frequently if I wanted but that I didn't really need one and we agreed the money would be better spent on people who aren't as lucky as me with their control)

Overall, I'm very happy with the way it went and I'd give 10/10 to the DN - she was engaged, interested, caring and not in the slightest bit condescending :)

Reactions: 9 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning FBG 6.3

@hankjam your numbers are looking good, sounds like a busy day for you, good luck finding the christmas cards, if youre anything like me you will find them after xmas :)

@phil1966 your nurse sounds lovely and congratulations on your achievements over the year.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

My HbA1C is slightly up from August (from 39 to 43) which is probably explained by my increased carb consumption (I've finished dieting now and am eating 2,000 calories a day instead of 1,500) and the DN said it's nothing to be concerned about as it's still massively down from the 107 it was a year ago!

On a far more positive note, all my blood count readings are perfect, my BMI (at 22.4) is the lowest it's been since I was a teenager and my BP at 111/65 is also excellent

The DN was brilliant - she seemed genuinely interested in how I'd managed to get things under control and basically turn my life around (this time last year I was massively overweight, had out of control blood sugar, high cholesterol and borderline high BP). We had a good chat about testing and she seemed relieved that I understood that lack of NHS funding meant I would have to continue funding my test strips myself (however, she never tried to dissuade me from self-testing).

The end result of the review was that I'm staying on the same medication (500mg metformin 2x a day) - she did say she considered suggesting trying diet alone but as I have no adverse reactions at all to metformin and my HbA1c had crept up a bit it was worth staying on them for the time being) and I'll have another review in a year (again, she said I could have a review more frequently if I wanted but that I didn't really need one and we agreed the money would be better spent on people who aren't as lucky as me with their control)

Overall, I'm very happy with the way it went and I'd give 10/10 to the DN - she was engaged, interested, caring and not in the slightest bit condescending :)

Nice one Phil!

Reactions: 3 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging

Congratulations phil 1966, thats a great effort and don't worry about hba1c up slightly thats normal

Reactions: 3 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
@loulou99782 are you ok? We need to pray some peace and tranquility for you, you do lead an adventurous life recently. Was anyone else hurt? :facepalm:

Reactions: 2 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@loulou99782 are you ok? We need to pray some peace and tranquility for you, you do lead an adventurous life recently. Was anyone else hurt? :facepalm:
Yeah me and Dad have both got whiplash, I was covered in glass but thankly only small cuts and some nursing the car was 9 mth old and now a right off cause some prat can't look were they where going and park properly

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
So sorry to hear that you + Dad hurt, hope you get full recovery soonest. Hope you get new car soon too!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 am.... been a busy day.... rounded off by making pizza from flour for wife and son.... it is good... though completely off limits... had a nice steak and glass of red wine.... and a good stiff walk afterwards....
The Bridge and then Match of the Day to see Norwich win at OT... lovely stuff.