Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
TC 4.5

Trigs 1.6

HDL 1.5

LDL 2.3

Ratio 3.0

Does this warrant being put on a statin?

She's a huge fan of statins. I'm not.

Any advice?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1450346362.199077.jpg
hpe this helps,clive

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I'm struggling with that table tbh Clive...
Total Cholesterol (TC) - this is the total amount of cholesterol in your blood. Ideally it should be 5 mmol/L or less
Non HDL-Cholesterol this is your total cholesterol minus your HDL-cholesterol (good cholesterol) and is the sum all the "bad" cholesterols added together (including LDL cholesterol) - ideally it should be 4mmol/L or less
LDL-Cholesterol (LDL-C) - this is the amount of LDL-cholesterol), ideally it should be 3 mmol/L or less
HDL-Cholesterol (HDL-C) - the amount of good cholesterol, ideally it should be over 1mmol/L (men) and over 1.2mmol/L (women).
TC:HDL ratio This is the TC figure divided by the HDL-C figure. A ratio above 6 is considered high risk - the lower this figure is the better.
Triglyceride (TG) this represent your body's ability to clear fat from the blood after a meal. Ideally it should be less than 2mmol/L on a fasting sample)
- See more at: http://heartuk.org.uk/health-and-hi...tests---know-your-number#sthash.rc0BvSpG.dpuf

Reactions: 2 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both. Finally got my head round it.
My personal figures are fine so I won't be going on a statin.

I shouldn't have told her about the high fat part of my low carb lifestyle

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes, a big mistake. Fat scares the hell out of the medics. I just looked at the BBC Good Food website for Christmas recipes and DUK talk about removing all the fat from everything; it's just that we don't understand.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
The only ratio I would be at all concerned would be TC, but with a TC/HDL 0f 1.07 your LDL is probably the "Good" fluffy type :)

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
She wants my TC to come down to 4 or less.

She advises cutting out the soft cheese and having an apple instead.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LFT was 66 which is outside the 'normal' range but she said it was totally fine compared to what it was pre weight loss.

alaska

Cholesterol results look good to my eyes. Strong HDL and your LDL and total cholesterol are close to the targets. HDL:Total ratio is good.

What the doctors don't tell us is that low cholesterol is harmful and possibly more so than much higher cholesterol than you have.

Cholesterol under 3 mmol/l is linked with increased risk of cancer and increased mortality.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A total of 4 for cholesterol is what the DN will have been told for diabetes (it's 5 for non-diabetics) 'cos we will all have poor bs control won't we therefore we will be at risk of cardio problems. I note that the DN ignored the ratios etc and just followed the NHS total of 4 mantra; not her fault but the NHS trainers and NICE. Yes, going to low with cholesterol is just as harmful as being too high. Apples are always good and so is soft cheese :)

freddy2

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Trigs 1.6 HDL 1.5, keep up the LCHF... I would like my trigs lower and my HDL higher if I could, have they moved from your last test?

this video is very good about the blood tests

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are slightly better results from last time.

It's a good point about the TC.
As I have the hba1c profile of a non diabetic I think they should be happy that I'm under 5.