Type one and time of the month

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably have mentioned this before on here but really. For god sake what to do, does not matter what I eat, exercise or not. Time of month no control what so ever. All I get is try this try that whatever nothing seems to help. So emotional at the moment and not coping. Only been just after a year from diagnose and husband has lost his job. No money worrying about how to buy food let alone for Xmas!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too suffer from this...but for me it changes from month to month...sometimes I can dose huge quantities of insulin with little or no effect...other times a tiny amount of insulin will put me on the floor. I think it's one of those thing that you just have to accept...test regularly and react appropriately...tomorrow is another day.
It sounds like you're also having a bit of a stressful time at home...remember that stress can also affect your blood sugars...deep breaths and long walks...and try to keep calm.

Reactions: 6 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Tylers - sending you a big hug. It's the same for me too, the pancreas and our hormones have a major impact on our control, it's all linked, i've spoken to doctors before in the past who have dismissed me, yet they don't live with the condition as I do, so have limited knowledge of the impact of our hormones on our glucose levels, I believe it's when we start pumping out oestrogen in readiness for our monthly period that it starts the impact on our levels, taking insulin is like injecting water for me, and for around 2 weeks a month I suffer with poor control. I am doing alot of research into this to see what can balance our hormones which will help us manage our control better and it really starts with exercise and diet. I have tried taking some supplements but they haven't really had any impact. My suggestion for you personally based on your current circumstances and feeling down is to try and go for walks - fresh air and exercise, it will help you feel better even if you don't feel like it. I am not enjoying the festive period either if it's any consolation, but have a daughter so it's a brave face and battle on, so please don't feel alone, if you ever want a chat drop me a line x

Reactions: 2 people

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dear Tylers,
yes I am sure our periods affect BG control. I have always experienced a lot of lows and hypos at that time of month (never a high, not even after overtreating a hypo), but my doctors believe that periods can only worsen BG control, so they dismissed me as they did Juicyj. Well, it's just a few days, that's true, but it can be very annoying.
I'm sorry to hear of your other worries. I lost my job in September and I think I can relate to your fears. I live in Italy and at 51 it's very unlikely I'll ever be able to find another job. While the job market is dreary in my country, though, I'm pretty sure opportunities are much better where you live. While you wait for clouds to clear up a bit, why don't you try and have a chat with someone you trust. Friends, family, a pastor or a social worker… perhaps they can offer help and also some useful suggestion. It's a relief (at least, that's my opinion) to meet someone who can help you think calmly and unravel your feelings and ideas. You have all the strength you need, inside you; it may just take a little time and assistance to put it in gear.
Best wishes. Hope you will soon recover your peace of mind.

Reactions: 6 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry about your troubles. Like others I have a few low days where I could eat a ton and it doesn't moveand a have high days when I could eat next to nothing, take extra insulin only to pop back up. It is MOST annoying and frustrating but it is what it is and reading the above posts I realize there is little to do about it except ride it out. The body is adjusting for some reason. Insulin is a very powerful hormone and we get big boluses instead of steady rises with the foods we eat. When I need extra insulin to correct between meals it makes me cry, LOL, not because I am sad but because it is a powerful hormone. I am OK with 1/2 unit but no more of I am a hormone mess. You are not alone!

Reactions: 2 people

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi Tyler's Myself and my husband found ourselves out of work for quite a while this year so I know how stressful it can be. Just wanted to send you a hug of support!. X

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you audsital, then you know what it's like. We still trying to get over last redundancy which put us in Terrible debt was just about to turn a corner and then bang.

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
I hope that 2016 will have you guys turning another corner, this time a positive one which will get you on your feet again!. All the Best!. Xx

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tyler I'm so sorry to hear your struggle with lots of things. May I ask are you on pens? Or pump? Or tablets?

I struggled for years