Blood sugar readings

Fragilewend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BS was 6.1 pre evening meal 2hrs after meal its 4.4 should it be higher or is this ok. Bit confusing.m

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As long as it is lower than 2mmols more than your pre meal test result, then that is fine!

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
My BS was 6.1 pre evening meal 2hrs after meal it's 4.4 should it be higher or is this ok. Bit confusing.m
It's potentially concerning, but only if it continues to drop. How long have you been taking the Metformin? Since you asked about this I assume you haven't seen this happen before?

If this is the first time you've seen this happen, then I suggest you make a note of it and also keep a closer eye on your BG (Blood Glucose) results near term. It's probably also something to mention when you next talk to your med support person.

If Metformin is the only medication you are taking, then there is a low risk of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). However, I am not sure there is zero/no risk. Checking your BG more frequently, especially when you have not eaten (carbs) for a while, to verify that you are not going hypo seems like a reasonable precaution, no?

Reactions: 2 people

freddy2

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what is your normal BG before tea, not eating since lunch time? this is what I call my low and a target for my morning BG
4.4 is perfect. Take another measure after half an hour, it may well be your body adusting your BG level and it does bounce around, can go lower than rise a bit and stay at that level. Testing only takes a moment in time and the 2hr averages are more informative.

Fragilewend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi John been on metformin for 3 weeks only recently diagnosed. Just purchased a no code meter so not kept a record but will do now. Thank You for your advice.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
The readings from your meter are prone to false high readings caused by contamination on your skin. If you get a high reading wassh your hands in water (don't use alcohol based sanitiser or wipes) and when dry take another test.

Reactions: 2 people