Reintroducing Carbohydrates

lizzycat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I'm currently cutting out carbs wherever possible as trying to loose weight and get my bloods to normal from pre diabetic. So far I seem to be doing ok only one or two hiccups it being the festive season but overall pleased with my results. Often post meal check is within the normal range but my fasting is being a bit more resistant. I manage with the low carb diet fine most of the time but looking ahead to holidays etc I'm wondering how easy it will be. Have any of you lovely people managed to reintroduce carbs once you have lost weight and gained control of your blood glucose levels. I dont want to go back to eating as I used to but it would be nice to be able to relax a bit on holiday or special occasions.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people do but I've chosen to look for low carb options for any of my previous carby Christmas foods. It obviously depends on what you want to eat over the festive season, and only you can determine how your body will react to any higher carb goodies.

I've found that my body definitely doesn't like more carbs than usual, and it can sometimes upset my nice steady levels for longer than any spikes those carbs may cause, so for me it's just not worth it.

But have a look at some of the recent threads about Christmas eating too.

My fasting/morning levels are the ones that are the hardest to deal with as my liver often lends an unwanted hand. :eek: And I believe the fact that these levels tend to be the last to come down can be the case for many of us!

Robbity

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hello, I'm currently cutting out carbs wherever possible as trying to loose weight and get my bloods to normal from pre diabetic. So far I seem to be doing ok only one or two hiccups it being the festive season but overall pleased with my results. Often post meal check is within the normal range but my fasting is being a bit more resistant. I manage with the low carb diet fine most of the time but looking ahead to holidays etc I'm wondering how easy it will be. Have any of you lovely people managed to reintroduce carbs once you have lost weight and gained control of your blood glucose levels. I dont want to go back to eating as I used to but it would be nice to be able to relax a bit on holiday or special occasions.

I did. Well, I didn't as such but...let's start again lol. I cut out most of my carbs on diagnosis, bread went, pasta and rice and potatoes reduced by two thirds later on, but in the first few months, they went out completely. A lot has happened since then, including a serious illness, and there have been times when I have eaten "normally", normal (for a non diabetic) portions of carbs - but still no bread, which was the absolute worst carb for me. I know that I can eat like this without a significant rise in my levels, usually staying in the 6's after meals. BUT..I also know that if I continue to do it, not only will I find myself craving them more, my numbers will rise again. This happened recently, when I had something I would never normally have, a soya fruit yogurt. I can tell when my levels are high because I itch like crazy! I tested my bg (rarely do that nowadays) and it was 9.3 - I nearly dropped!

So, I guess it is possible, but it's very easy to get into bad habits again and hard work can be undone, just like that. It's entirely up to you if you want to have some more carbs at Christmas but if you do, can I suggest making sure you test regularly? It's a good way of keeping your mind focused, so you don't go totally overboard with all the usual Christmas suspects :)

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Short answer is yes.
The long answer is a very complex balance of exercise, weight, fasts, GI, willpower, and above all, many months of testing to work out the complex relationship your body has.

So, you need to test, and see what works for you.

Reactions: 4 people

Dave...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Short answer is yes.
The long answer is a very complex balance of exercise, weight, fasts, GI, willpower, and above all, many months of testing to work out the complex relationship your body has.

I agree with SunnyExpat. Exercise is one of the key areas, depending on what you can/like to do. It's not for everyone but I've found cycling very beneficial and after 4 months of fine tuning I'm more in control of my levels on the bike than off... even with a big carb in take.
Hope it works out for you, whatever your approach, and you can enjoy some of those festive goodies.

lizzycat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I'm not so concerned about Christmas as I have discovered my sweet tooth is diminishing and for the first time ever I now like bitter dark choc so a couple of squares of that will keep me happy and some of the diabetic recipes for puddings are lovely. I guess going on holiday and eating out is going to be the real challenge.
As
Some people do but I've chosen to look for low carb options for any of my previous carby Christmas foods. It obviously depends on what you want to eat over the festive season, and only you can determine how your body will react to any higher carb goodies.

I've found that my body definitely doesn't like more carbs than usual, and it can sometimes upset my nice steady levels for longer than any spikes those carbs may cause, so for me it's just not worth it.

My fasting/morning levels are the ones that are the hardest to deal with as my liver often lends an unwanted hand. :eek: And I believe the fact that these levels tend to be the last to come down can be the case for many of us!

Robbity

Robbity

Robbity

mber: 93179"]Some people do but I've chosen to look for low carb options for any of my previous carby Christmas foods. It obviously depends on what you want to eat over the festive season, and only you can determine how your body will react to any higher carb goodies.

Robbity[/QUOTE]
Thanks,

Robbity
Thanks Robbity, I have Christmas I

lizzycat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did. Well, I didn't as such but...let's start again lol. I cut out most of my carbs on diagnosis, bread went, pasta and rice and potatoes reduced by two thirds later on, but in the first few months, they went out completely. A lot has happened since then, including a serious illness, and there have been times when I have eaten "normally", normal (for a non diabetic) portions of carbs - but still no bread, which was the absolute worst carb for me. I know that I can eat like this without a significant rise in my levels, usually staying in the 6's after meals. BUT..I also know that if I continue to do it, not only will I find myself craving them more, my numbers will rise again. This happened recently, when I had something I would never normally have, a soya fruit yogurt. I can tell when my levels are high because I itch like crazy! I tested my bg (rarely do that nowadays) and it was 9.3 - I nearly dropped!

So, I guess it is possible, but it's very easy to get into bad habits again and hard work can be undone, just like that. It's entirely up to you if you want to have some more carbs at Christmas but if you do, can I suggest making sure you test regularly? It's a good way of keeping your mind focused, so you don't go totally overboard with all the usual Christmas suspects :)
I think what I will do Is start taking a reading before meals and 2 hrs after and making my own food list I suppose knowing which carbs affect me more and restricting them will be easier than having non. I dont have a problem at home but when on holiday and not cooking I know it will be hard.

lizzycat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Short answer is yes.

I agrre with you. I have been walking for at least 30 mins every day and going to the gym twice a week the willpower is easier than I expected, but then I don't want to add diabetes to my list of illnesses lol. The weight is coming off and I know that will help.

lizzycat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with SunnyExpat. Exercise is one of the key areas, depending on what you can/like to do. It's not for everyone but I've found cycling very beneficial and after 4 months of fine tuning I'm more in control of my levels on the bike than off... even with a big carb in take.
Hope it works out for you, whatever your approach, and you can enjoy some of those festive goodies.
Thanks and yes exersize does help a lot, I'm still early days in the pre diabetes so still learning. So far my cutting out carbs and eating more veg and having health smoothies has resulted in so much more energy that the exersize is so much easier. I guess the benefits will make it easier as time goes on.

Zell3roses

Hi. I dropped most of carbs after being diagnosed 2 yrs ago. Lost 3st 3lb BMI now 22. I kept on with plain oats for breakfast as needed energy for physical work or brisk walking on days off. Last hba1c was 34, down from 44 previous year . Have now introduced bread, homemade- no sugar- lovely treat with butter and savoury spread. I rarely check BG these days, I just don't eat chocs biscuits, puddings or pies. Seems to be working ok. I find playing it by ear is the best way. If I move more I need more nutritional energy. I eat a lot of veg and lean meat and nuts and fruit. I think I was addicted to sugar for years. My Grandad had T2 and died having most of the complications. I don't want that to happen to me.

Reactions: 3 people