HbA1c down 91 to 35 in 3 months

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks

I just wanted to share my good news, I was diagnosed with Type 2 in September this year, my HbA1c was 91 - so pretty high.

I was lucky enough to find this forum the same day I was diagnosed so immediately went onto a low carb (under 50g a day) and very low calorie (under 800 Cals a day) .

Today I got my 3 month blood results and my HbA1c is down to 35! I am so relieved and its made the last few months of major dietary change worth it.

My cholesterol has dropped from 6.2 to 3.6 and my blood pressure has gone from 160/100 to normal levels and I've lost over three stone in weight.

I am so pleased and wanted to say a big thank you to everyone on these forums who takes the time to note their advice and experiences because I quite definitely could not have done it without all of you. The 'advice' from the medical professionals has been utterly useless tbh, this forum is quite literally a life saver.

Reactions: 25 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks

I just wanted to share my good news, I was diagnosed with Type 2 in September this year, my HbA1c was 91 - so pretty high.

I was lucky enough to find this forum the same day I was diagnosed so immediately went onto a low carb (under 50g a day) and very low calorie (under 800 Cals a day) .

Today I got my 3 month blood results and my HbA1c is down to 35! I am so relieved and its made the last few months of major dietary change worth it.

My cholesterol has dropped from 6.2 to 3.6 and my blood pressure has gone from 160/100 to normal levels and I've lost over three stone in weight.

I am so pleased and wanted to say a big thank you to everyone on these forums who takes the time to note their advice and experiences because I quite definitely could not have done it without all of you. The 'advice' from the medical professionals has been utterly useless tbh, this forum is quite literally a life saver.

Very, very well done Tree sculpture. What a turnaround!

Have you reached your target weight or do you still have a bit to do on that front? Everything else looks excellent.

Obviously, today you will feel like you're walking on air, but generally, do you feel well in yourself? And, I think Santa will have plenty of ideas for pressies this year. Your clothes must be hanging off you!!

Again. Very well done.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations! That's an amazing achievement.

Similar to my story but much faster. I'm pretty sure the excess fat around our organs is a major contributory factor to complications.

What's your secret tip to keeping hunger at bay?

Meanwhile, enjoy your new found good health.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe thank you! Yes I still have about 2 and a half stone to go, so while I'll allow myself to lose it at a slower rate going forward I still have work to do. I plan to allow myself to eat out now and then because that was always a big part of my social life and I miss it a lot & I think as long as i stay low carb in my daily routine the occasional high carb blow out won't do me too much damage

I feel fine, I have loads more energy than I did before I started this diet (maybe partly because I've been doing regular exercise as part of the changes). I'm trying not to buy new clothes till I get to my target because it'd just be a waste - I had to buy some new jeans 4 weeks ago for a special occasion as nothing fitted me anymore and they are already too big! I look very baggy and shapeless in everything I own and turn my trouser waistbands over several times right now!

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@VinnyJames thank you, and congrats on your excellent figures too!

well I have no magic bullet but I suppose I've taken on board the advice I saw someone here write (sorry can't remember who) about welcoming the feeling of hunger because it means you're doing what you planned. I use that empty stomach feeling I get while in between meals to do stomach crunches sitting down at my desk or in the car - they're probably not as good for me as the proper exercise but I reckon it helps tighten my abdominals a bit. Oh and I eat things that are low carbish and low calorie but fill me up such as loads of broccoli, brussel sprouts, raw carrots. And drink a lot of water. Weekdays are fine because i'm so busy, Sundays are very difficult, all I want to do is stuff my face!

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe thank you! Yes I still have about 2 and a half stone to go, so while I'll allow myself to lose it at a slower rate going forward I still have work to do. I plan to allow myself to eat out now and then because that was always a big part of my social life and I miss it a lot & I think as long as i stay low carb in my daily routine the occasional high carb blow out won't do me too much damage

I feel fine, I have loads more energy than I did before I started this diet (maybe partly because I've been doing regular exercise as part of the changes). I'm trying not to buy new clothes till I get to my target because it'd just be a waste - I had to buy some new jeans 4 weeks ago for a special occasion as nothing fitted me anymore and they are already too big! I look very baggy and shapeless in everything I own and turn my trouser waistbands over several times right now!

I lost a lot of weight (which wasn't an initial objective for me), just after diagnosis, during a period of time overseas. I arrived home looking like a refugee in my ill-fitting clothes, so I feel your pain on that front.

When I was in my local Sainsbury's the other evening, they had reduced great swathes of their Tu clothing range, by a minimum of 50%, so there were some great, everyday bargains, if you need something cheap and cheerful to raise your spirits this festive season. There's nothing better than putting on something that's a smaller size and doesn't cut off the circulation when one does it up!

Once you get close to your target weight, I suggest you plan how you will stabilise your weight, then maintain it for the long term. I found it difficult to stop losing weight (and have ended up quite skinny), and it took me a while to get the balances of nutrients right. Others have found the same thing, so it's worth planning your approach up-front.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Excellent results @Tree sculpture! I embrace the hunger pangs too. I hardly notice them now. Keeping busy, going out walking or doing things helps. Keep up the good work! :)

Reactions: 2 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember a bariatric consultant on a documentary talking about hunger.
His take was we are mammals and we appear to have forgot that hunger is a perfectly normal state and that's why the body stores energy.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I'm going to copy your post and stick it on my fridge! Well done!