Is this reading ok!

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I test on average between 5 and 6 before a meal and back to the same same 2 hours after, however I can spike up to between 7 and 8 1 hour after. Is this a high spike? Or am I doing ok? I am being careful what I eat and dont test as often as I used to/should, and my nurse told me not to test after an hour. Would appreciate some thoughts please? Thank you

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Ignore that advice re testing. You could well jump to anything after a meal based upon the content, but they are NOT all that bad though they could do with some improvement. The spike you've mentioned isn't that big but you should be aiming for under 7.8 at minimum no matter what time you test. Reckon it could be anything, but diet can certainly influence the readings a lot. Seems you have the exercise covered :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are pretty good numbers. I personally dont test at the 1hr mark, just stick to testing at 2 hrs as thats the kost important number.

Reactions: 4 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, numbers sound good to me. 1 hour is too soon to test, you need to leave at least one and half hours, two is better.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Actually pretty good results don't worry be happy.
Perfect controlled BGL is impossible even for the healthiest non-diabetics.

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you use a diabetic app? They are great for tracking sugar and warn you if you are getting out Of range. I use Diabetes M and My Sugars. They both let you know if you are above the accepted levels or below.
They also give you a rough estimate of your Hba1C. . Diabetes M has a great report that you cans email to your diabetes care people.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NICE recommendations for acceptable levels are on our main Diabetes.co.uk site here; they seem to have changed these recently as the post meal test used to be at 2 hours. You don't usually need to test after one hour, but it's sometimes worth doing if you eat something sugary that may spjke you high earlier.

Check your meter manual, as some metes (e.g my Bayer Contour Next), have default settings for acceptable, high, and low glucose levels, but I can also set these to my own targets. Very useful as you can see at a glance how you're doing. If your meter can give you a 3 months average, you can also get an estimate of your HbA1c level too from our main site - not 100% accurate (though the more readings you've taken, the better it can predict), but for me it's been fairly close for my last 3 results.

Robbity