Lchf negative comments

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I posted this on another group on last week and had a reply from a guy that's seems to me to be quite negative about lchf and would be interested in your views?

There's plenty of people on here I know could put up a better argument than me (in an educated way anyway!) The guys name is (name removed as the person has not given consent) and please let me know what you think
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry don't have Facebook. What does it say

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Your link doesn't work

pzw123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Link asks me to log in to my Facebook account. I'm always logged in so something does not seem right here. Caution.

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Link asks me to log in to my Facebook account. I'm always logged in so something does not seem right here. Caution.

Hi just noticed and have copied and pasted the conversation into 2 posts!

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure why the link didnt work.. when I click on it the post comes up but only half?? Technologies great isnt it!

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what he appears to be quoting as fact is not so, it's simply the understanding of the body at the moment, and then he's being very selective of how he's representing the "facts".

He may or may not have heard the term gluconeogenesis, which is where the body can manufacture carbohydrates from other macronutrients. It's also not a "fact" that the body gets 100% of energy from carbs at max exercise. It may get the majority in non-keto-adapted persons, but not all.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a closed group. Also, believe it or not, many people don't have a facebook account and don't really want one either.

Please just copy and paste the guy's remark here as a quote so that we can comment on it. :)

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have and it was removed because it contained his name and rightly so but I've just copied the post and removed his name but it's been removed again?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have and it was removed because it contained his name and rightly so but I've just copied the post and removed his name but it's been removed again?
Ok thanks vxrich. Maybe a moderator can comment on the reason for this?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Will try again in a bit
Maybe there's a copyright issue with direct quotes lifted from facebook. I don't know, just trying to think of reasons for the moderation.

Maybe try paraphrasing some of the non important parts of the quote a little bit.

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last time..all names and avatars removed to protect the innocent!!:D ;)

Me
Hmm I know if I was to go back to relying on carbs for energy my hba1c would go up again, I'd put weight on that I don't need and insulin intake would go up considerably. Lchf, even though with its it's difficulties adapting is a godsend to me personally.

Him
Don't conflate all carbs as being bad. What sort of carbs did you used to eat?

Him
Check out the safe carbs blog post that's linked in the above blog post. Home-cooked carbs are slow-release if the food is cooked al-dente. If you refrigerate cooked salad potatoes and Basmati rice, resistant starch forms which is very slow-release. Did you know this?

Me
I don't see all carbs as bad but I certainly see lchf as an easier way to control t1. Also many athletes are now to turning to lchf diets because they can perform better on fat for fuel rather than consuming carbs every 20mins during endurance sports

Him
LCHF is an advantage for ultra-endurance activities. For anything involving glycolytic activities, it's a disadvantage.

Me
I do triathlons so fit into that category! Why are you against lchf when there's thousands upon thousands of success stories of t1s turning their lives around due to lchf diets, athletes or not?

Him
It's a biochemical fact that the body gets 100% of its energy requirements from glycogen (carb) at maximum exercise intensity.

Him
In order to replenish glycogen, you have to eat carbohydrate. That's another biochemical fact.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Lol. Got to love someone who thinks they know everything... I like how he has put fact one:

It's a biochemical fact that the body gets 100% of its energy requirements from glycogen (carb) at maximum exercise intensity.

Which is almost true together with "fact" two:
In order to replenish glycogen, you have to eat carbohydrate. That's another biochemical fact.
Which isn't a fact as, as someone else says, he doesn't seem to know about Gluconeogenesis as a way to replenish glycogen stores...

To get "You must eat carbs".

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well further back in the post he was telling me that gng over long periods of time isn't good for me?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Invite him here.

He could have a lovely, lively discussion and entertain us all.

Of course, he probably wouldn't change his mind. People rarely do, unless they are open to new info, and I get the impression he has already made up his mind on a lot of things, and won't budge now.

But it would be a pop-corn worthy discussion. Might even be worth the few carbs in the popcorn.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well further back in the post he was telling me that gng over long periods of time isn't good for me?

How else does he think we deal with excess protein, if we go a little over our daily requirement? It is broken down and recycled so nothing is wasted. Happens every day. Unless we eat too little protein...

Reactions: 4 people