Sweets and low bg

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
I have had high blood sugars for a couple of years and my dn altered the way I take my tablets . I now take them twice a day instead of three times and have also added cinnamon tablets and now my suffers are quite good 6.5 . However about every other week I'm having a hypo (lowest was 2.9) and I'm not sure if that's normal or if I need to see the DN .
Also on a different note I've just eaten a sherbet fountain (I know it's not good but I just couldn't resist) and 2 hours later my sugars are only 5.4 and I expected them to sky rocket. Can anyone explain why they hadn't gone up?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had high blood sugars for a couple of years and my dn altered the way I take my tablets . I now take them twice a day instead of three times and have also added cinnamon tablets and now my suffers are quite good 6.5 . However about every other week I'm having a hypo (lowest was 2.9) and I'm not sure if that's normal or if I need to see the DN .
Also on a different note I've just eaten a sherbet fountain (I know it's not good but I just couldn't resist) and 2 hours later my sugars are only 5.4 and I expected them to sky rocket. Can anyone explain why they hadn't gone up?

I would have a word about this with your GP, as it is the glicizide that brings your blood glucose levels down. And it looks likely that your blood glucose levels are getting better.
Well done with that!

Should try and stay from all forms of confectionery, but a treat now and then won't do much harm!

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could check after 1 hour if you're eating sweets or other sugary stuff - it can spike faster than fats and protein.

Robbity

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
A lot of us havef found that sugars can give a very sharp but short lived spike in BGL
Personally I rate other more complex carbohydrate as an even bigger threat to my health than sugar.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definately talk to your DN as she may want to alter your medication dosage. I wouldnt worry too much about about the odd treat but as I learnt from my own experience try not to make it into a regular habit or ut can start to afdect your BS.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are a sugar addict like me, abstinence is the best policy. If I eat the "occasional treat", it can lead to another and so on.