Honey?

Mad Mickey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was looking at some of the recipes in the free books. There are a few items with honey in them. Can we have Honey?

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a few recipes that call for a small amount of.honey and I do put it in as it doesnt.affect my BS as it is a minimal amount. The only way to know if you can tolerate honey is to use it in the recipe and see if it raises your BS. Just be aware that.honey is basically pure sugar so if you dont want to go there you can try and substitute it with some liquid artificial sweetener instead.

Mad Mickey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a few recipes that call for a small amount of.honey and I do put it in as it doesnt.affect my BS as it is a minimal amount. The only way to know if you can tolerate honey is to use it in the recipe and see if it raises your BS. Just be aware that.honey is basically pure sugar so if you dont want to go there you can try and substitute it with some liquid artificial sweetener instead.
That was my thoughts. I usually use sweeteners if I must. It just seemed strange in a cook book I understood was for diabetics.

Mad Mickey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That was my thoughts. I usually use sweeteners if I must. It just seemed strange in a cook book I understood was for diabetics.
I just add that this was in no way a criticism of the book or the writer.

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try and use argarve nectar instead of honey or other sweeteners

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've used both honey and agarve nectar as sweeteners. Personally I think it boils down to moderation. A small amount of either really isn't going to do any long term damage as long as it really is a small amount and only occasional.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't use sweeteners in drinks and I don't bake so don't need it for that but sometimes frozen berries need a little sweetness as they can be very sour so I use a syrup called Sweet Freedom it taste a bit like honey and is available from H&B some supermarkets or online This is made from 100% apple grape and carob nothing else and a teaspoon is 3.4 carbs which is probably a bit less than I use on fruit. The label says suitable for diabetics, low in fructose, GM and gluten free but as I say I only use a very little. I agree with Lins T moderation is the best way

Mad Mickey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is most interesting. Thank you.
It's obvious that nothing is simple or direct.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are a sugar addict, moderation with sugar is not possible.
Table sugar (sucrose) has 4 g of carbs per tsp. so not much more than your sweetener.