possible return of pancreatic function

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
is it possible that after 14 years my pancreas has started to function again? it stopped working due to the steroids i had to take after my kidney transplant.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a very interesting question.
research suggests both yes, and no, so it would seem whatever your body suggests would be the way to go.
but, as there is no real answer, treat it with care, and a decent, low carb diet would be the best route.

What are you seeing that makes you ask?

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi SunnyExpat, well im in hospital at present because of a blocked pd line (peritaneal dialysis line). haven't eaten much at present, but getting there. i noticed that even with a bm of 9 or 10 if i take even the smallest dose of novorapid or lantus insulin possible my bm plummets to a low of 2-3 mmols/litre.

C

catherinecherub

I don't think anyone here has the qualifications to give you an answer @kidneyalan,
I would take advantage of your being in hospital and ask this question to the Consultant/Registrar. If they cannot help then ask them to enquire via an Endocrinologist.

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks catherinecherub, just had a chat with my consultant and it was sugessted it might be that my pancreas has started to work again. at this stage he advised me to keep a very close eye on my bm readings and to top up my insulin on 3-4 units of lantus once a day. wish i had one of those bm machines they have recently developed in usa that uses a laser rather than lancets!!!

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank's azure, and the rest of the diabetes global community for your help i'll let you know how i get on with with my returning pancreatic function. fingers crossed all goes well.!!

Reactions: 2 people

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not sure what you mean by beta cells Mafat, sounds to technical for me. Having said that, I'm always willing to learn. I've been a renal patient for over 30 yrs so know quite a lot about that side of things. Being diabetic just complicates things a bit more. I am surprised though that after 14ys my pancreas has decided to kick in again.

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, have a look at my new thread re; restless legs syndrome. If anybody has any answers I'd be grateful.

Mafat

Not sure what you mean by beta cells Mafat, sounds to technical for me. Having said that, I'm always willing to learn. I've been a renal patient for over 30 yrs so know quite a lot about that side of things. Being diabetic just complicates things a bit more. I am surprised though that after 14ys my pancreas has decided to kick in again.

The beta cells in the pancreas normally produce insulin. It is imagined that they ‘burn out’ from having to secrete so much insulin for so long to cope with the insulin resistance. Thus, they say that T2D is a chronic and progressive disease with beta cells gradually burning out leading to worsening disease over time.

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok, thanks fo the explanation Mafat, it's always good to learn from fellow peers who have knowledge to pass on.