Living with someone who is trying to cope with type 1

Filer11

Hi , my husband got diagnosed in Jan 2015 with type 1 , we are trying to manage his incline but it is getting him down , he thinks Xmas is a waste of time as he cant do "normal" things , has to watch what he drinks and eats . He is also having more mood swings which I believe is down to him coming to terms with the whole process , I just want to be there for him . Has anyone got any advice for a "normal " Xmas

Reactions: 2 people

Lord_Lien

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Define "normal"? Your husband has to understand that this year is not going to be booze, chocolate, booze, a full on dinner, more chocolate & loads more booze on top!

So long as he takes that day in moderation he will be fine. I hope this helps, but tell him that this will be my 1st xmas being diabetic (Type 2) so even I won't be able to be pigging out like I used too........

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Filer11 I'm a little confused as in another post you say it's you who is Type 1.

Is ths right or is it your husband? If it is your husband, you could try encouraging him to join this forum himself and get support and advice.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah, ok :) Thanks for clarifying that.

I think the first Xmas with diabetes IS hard. Rightly or wrongly, Xmas is seen as, basically, a time to stuff your face to some extent! Even the special Xmas foods tend towards high carb eg cake, pudding and mince pies.

What I do is plan alternative treats eg I buy some nice smoked salmon and cheeses because they're tasty but no carb. Turkey and posh ham are good too. I also buy some nice wines. I plan out the meals so I know I won't feel deprived but, on the other hand, won't end up with high sugars that make me feel bad.

I do have say, a mince pie, a small helping of pudding, a little slice of cake, etc but I space them out, have insulin to cover them, and, if possible time them so I can get some exercise after. For example, a nice long walk means I can have a good size piece of cake with little or no insulin.

I think the key is planning what to buy and what you'll be eating on the special days. It's also important for your husband to do plenty of blood tests as the extra sitting around as well as the food can put sugars up.

Get sugar free drinks and mixers. Maybe choose low carb nibbles rather than carby ones eg those preprepared salmon mousse rolls, mini peppers stuffed with cream cheese, etc. Even things like biscuits for cheese can vary in carbs quite a lot, so choose carefully.

I enjoy my Xmas :) Please tell your husband it doesn't have to be rubbish and miserable. He can still have a nice time :)

Reactions: 9 people

Filer11

Thank you azure , great advice , didn't think about walking .
I will spend some time in the super market to try and find a few good snacks .

I think it's more the planning that gets him down , he can't just go to the fridge for food or eat sweet items when he wants .

Reactions: 4 people

Filer11

Hi lord_lien

"Normal" would be the normal you describe . No thinking just doing . Popping out to the pub with his mates and not having to worry about his levels or injecting when he is having food .

I will tell him that it's not just him and we will have a great Xmas . Hope you have as much as s "normal" Xmas lol

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First, is your husband on the Basal/Bolus insulin regime and carb-counting? If so, he can manage Christmas treats by taking extra Bolus insulin within reason (and only 'cos it's Christmas!). I had an unplanned mince pie at lunch today and took some more insulin to match. In general drinking is not a problem. Alcohol itself may only have small effect on blood sugar although some beers may need a bit more insulin. Wine and spirits taken sensibly are OK. As for food, Christmas Turkey, veg and so on are fine. Yes, sugary milk chocolate is best avoided but it's junk food anyway. Quality Christmas cake (no icing) and pudding are not too bad. So, look at package contents and go for the lower carb foods where possible but exceptions are allowed at Christmas.

Filer11

He is on levemir for morning and night then NovoRapid for when he eats . So he is injecting 4-5 times a day .

Is basal different to what he is taking ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
He is on levemir for morning and night then NovoRapid for when he eats . So he is injecting 4-5 times a day .

Is basal different to what he is taking ?

Basal is the background insulin, in your husbands case it's his levemir insulin, bolus is the Novorapid he takes at meal-times.

My_cream_aga

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,
I have just read your posting regarding your husband.
Diabetes is a very confusing and difficult condition to come to terms with, tell him it does get easier, he must read all he can about it, he will come to understand it in time after all he has to it is not going to go away.
Christmas is a difficult time but it is harder for children to deal with as they tend to love the the sweets etc at least as adults we can understand why we cannot have it. I have been type 1 for 43 years. I am on a base line insulin plus novo rapid , with novo rapid he can inject a little more insulin so,that he can enjoy a piece of cake or some chocolate but only after a meal don't eat the cake or sweets as a meal because he will be hungry soon after. Make sure he checks his,blood sugars on a regular basis that way he will come to understand how his body works. If he does add a little more insulin to enjoy some goodies it is important he keeps a check on his blood sugars to ensure he doesn't go hypo or he hasn't eaten too much.
It does get easier in time, it's a nuisance but things could be much worse.
If I can help in anyway please say.

Filer11

Hi ,
The problem is he does read everything and is only taking the negative reads to heart .

I am sure it will get easier as time goes by but the last 11mths have been very tough on him .

Want to make Xmas "normal" for him and the advice I have received on here is amazing .

The more I understand the more I can help the confusion

Do you know of any good reading I can pass on to him .

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I would advise that he speaks to his DSN... Does he carb count or is he still on fixed doses of insulin?

There is actually no reason why he cannot eat the same as everyone else or "normally"... Providing he injects and tests and knows his insulin and reactions etc...

The thing is though is he needs confidence to manage changes in eating and drinking. If he knows how to carb count etc... It is just one time during a year.

If he hasn't had a DAFNE course etc it makes it harder but take this first year as a learning time.

T1's should still be able to eat as and when they want providing you know how to alter insulin and to carbcount etc.

Ie.. I will have my drambuie coffees but will have to bolus for them..

I don't have much else different to any other day.. Infact our xmas dinner is goig to be a home made salmon curry this year!! I make my own nutty granola bars instead of cakes/mincepies because I have other medical issues but the most important thing at Christmas for me is time off with my hubby. We don't exchange presents either... But we have lots of laughter playing board games, lie ins and walks...

Previously I used to have xmas everyday in December... Treats everyday in some way but due to other problems I can't.

It will get easier but perhaps if he had a chat with his DSN about his feelings ref xmas they may beable to suggest something to help him..

tnbnate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , my husband got diagnosed in Jan 2015 with type 1 , we are trying to manage his incline but it is getting him down , he thinks Xmas is a waste of time as he cant do "normal" things , has to watch what he drinks and eats . He is also having more mood swings which I believe is down to him coming to terms with the whole process , I just want to be there for him . Has anyone got any advice for a "normal " Xmas
As far as I am concerned now after finally coming to terms with diabetes after 37 years is that you can have "normal" you just have to account for everything that goes into your mouth. If your ratios are correct you will not go far wrong. Accept when it comes to alcohol. I made the decision to cut it out not due to the dangers of hypoglycaemia but because it leaves me chasing my tail with my sugars for 24 hours plus after. And I'm afraid mood swings are part and parcel of diabetes in my experience. My partner is an angel and I do not know how she puts up with it!

Petethevet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 1 in Nov 14, and started insulin in Jan 15 as well. My brother has been type one for 20 years.

Christmas is just the same just have to put up with needles.

Best to have the sweeties after a big normal healthy meal but as long at you check the levels and inject the short acting accordingly, it is all the same!!

Diabetes should not affect the brilliance of the festive period.

Talk to your diabetic nurse for advice - but they will be down the line perfect and you can always not tell them about the sweets!

humaject

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT ALOT
This is my 48th Christmas with my old mate Type1 since age 13.I always have a good Christmas day and if the bloods go a bit over the norm so what the next 364 days are well looked after, so have a merry Christmas
christmas 1.jpg

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He will definitely have to carb count (or whatever) and take insulin, but other than that, there's really no reason at all that he shouldn't do everything else that he would have done last year - or whatever seems "normal" to him.
If that is booze, chocolate and extreme dinners then so be it. As long as he takes insulin to cover, that should be no problem.
Obviously it wouldn't be good for him (or anyone) to do that every day, but for Christmas, it is completely feasible.
Maybe the carb counting and insulin will be perfect and maybe it won't and his blood sugars might swing about a bit more than usual, but, honestly, for one day, that's really not a big deal and worrying/being sad about it is likely to cause more lasting damage than one day of potentially slightly dubious blood sugars could!
Happy Christmas to both of you - I hope it goes well!