BethTwydall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
****** doctors
Hi guys

Some of you may have read that I'm off on a big trip with my boyfriend in February. 12 months through America, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Very excited and have been getting all our final bits organised. I've travelled before but this was when I was just on pens so a lot less to carry!
I have a question about pump disposables. I am on the accu chek spirit combo and my needles are the flex link ones which are fab as I had a bad reaction to the rapid d ones! The only issue I'm having is that they come in the biggest packets. I need to take a lot with me split between me and my partner to cover my trip, but without taking them out of their packets I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to take them all! I'm worried that once I open them they won't be sterile anymore.
Does anyone have any experience of this? I've been looking into buying sterile 'bags' to put the opened cannulas in but I don't know if there is such a thing!
Alternatively my mum knows someone in the states i could possibly send them too, will they get through customs? I've tried to email them but have had no response. I could just sent a test package but don't want to risk sending them and they get destroyed :(

Any help greatly appreciated!!

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you spoken to your pump company about what they suggest? Animas can deliver to hotels etc in some countries so maybe they have something similar.

Also you can get extra baggage allowance for medical supplies if you need too.

Reactions: 2 people

MarkbUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Finger pricking!
Just returned from 7 weeks in New Zealand, I'm using a Medtronic pump and took all the kit with me I took enough for 9 weeks as a contingency, a decent amount of hand luggage! All the cannulas etc in the packets you can't risk opened packets, Medtronic provided a loan pump and I took pens and cartridges as a back up too ... Make sure you have all the appropriate letters etc and oddly a note of how much stuff you have .. Got held up a Hong Kong airport when they insisted I count the spare pen needles and lancets!!! We avoid splitting the stuff up between the two us to avoid any airport security issues..

With the pump I just make sure the security staff know I have it on, its likely to be swabed but generally I've not had any issues, check for bubble's on the flight (pressure difference) I disconnect on take off and reconnect when the seatbelt sign goes off, also I clip the pump to the front of my shirt and place your cannula for the trip so both are out the way of the seatbelt

Last edited by a moderator: