Just want to cry

BigStew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can empathise entirely with what you're going through.

I'm Type 2 and only found out 6 months ago. I've often felt like crying but as I'm also diagnosed with depression (for a lot longer than my Diabetes) I've always just put it down to that.

There does seem to be a strong correlation between diabetes and mental health, after 18 years I could well believe that it could get on top of you occasionally (I'm sure it would flattenme!) . I think doing what you're doing and speaking to your GP would be an excellent start.

I hope you get things sorted but remember its human to react when things seem to be piling up and the fact you're recognizing how you feel is a **** good sign :)

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trying to cope with a lifelong, life limiting illness is a risk factor for depression. Also there is a link between stress and diabetes and also depression. Feeling like you want to cry for no reason, anger, loss of control or being over controlled can all be signs of depression.
I am a bit surprised about singling out male doctors as being less caring. I have experienced both and can find no difference. Many years ago my wife was treated by a female doctor with a lack of compassion which put her off for quite a while.

Sarah Ann Hodges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I would go to my GP (female) if u have one could be the start of depression? I could b wrong but
That's how mine started. 18 months on meds fell loads better.
Hope ur soon ok
I started citalipram and it just smoothes things out alot well that and going to the gym....there is a link with diabetes and depression so don't feel alone here it gets better I promise. Xx

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
I have had Type 1 for 48 years. If you want to share about how you are feeling I am a good listener. I am sure I have felt like you at some time or another.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am like you, usually happy go lucky and then the tears for no reason. I have tracked some of it back to extra insulin for extra food. This time of year is impossible with all the treats around constantly reminds us of how backed into a corner we are and can't just 'eat'. It is so nit that simple for us and for me I feel jealous and like a freak. Before T1 DX I wouldn't eat starch and sugar anyway but now I CAN'T and that makes it worse. Insulin is a powerful hormone and we get a bolus all at once instead of slowly rising with carbs. If we don't match food with insulin it makes me feel worse. Sometimes I am just tired of trying to figure it all out, weigh, time meals etc. It can be a real burden some days.
Vitamin D does help me get through the dark dreary months too.
Fear not, you are not alone. It doesn't make it easier though.

Reactions: 2 people

supercal61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Normally a very happy outgoing person, had a rough time controlling sugars, but now I back on track , however I just feel as though I want to cry all the time, I don't like being at home, I'm constantly picking on things and just being overall miserable !! Feel like I've lost myself .. Is this part of my diabetes ??? There's loads of issues I could rant on about but I just feel like I've lost the plot, I very rarely winge about stuff but I feel like everything is getting on top of me and I just want to explode! Anybody else feel like this?

Hi I know how you feel I am type 1 for 8 years and now on a pump. When I was really down about it a year ago saw the GP who was not a real help but my diabetes team have a member who is a physiologist and she has helped just listening to me and offering support.

I was like the grinch all the time, still have my moments but try to be positive.

Take care and hope this has helped.

Supercal61

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been type 1 for 35 years and know exactly how you feel. After nearly in tears at a clinic appointment. The Dr asked if I would consider seeing a clinical phycologist. After the initial shock of thinking I must be going loopy, I agreed. After the first appointment and explaining how I felt and his explanation of the clinical changes in the body and brain caused by changes in blood sugar levels, it was amazing how much better I felt. Knowing there are others in the same position was a great relief. Most of my lows of life have been caused by my lows and highs of diabetes. You know what I mean. Whenever I feel down I always try to put in place the coping procedures, learned from him. He retired and unfortunately because of NHS cuts wasn't replaced.

Sooty68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally a very happy outgoing person, had a rough time controlling sugars, but now I back on track , however I just feel as though I want to cry all the time, I don't like being at home, I'm constantly picking on things and just being overall miserable !! Feel like I've lost myself .. Is this part of my diabetes ??? There's loads of issues I could rant on about but I just feel like I've lost the plot, I very rarely winge about stuff but I feel like everything is getting on top of me and I just want to explode! Anybody else feel like this?
It's well known that sugar levels do control moods, so it could be that. However as someone else has said it could be depression. I've suffered, if that's the correct word, with bouts of depression over my life, it's great to get out and great to talk to people. Crying your eyes out is fine and is a great release, I'm sure you have someone who would listers to you or just hold you through a good blubbing session.
See your GP and maybe see a counsellor(?) someone you can talk to who doesn't know you and pass impartial advice..... Don't suffer in silence get help... Everybody maters
Happy Christmas x

kimlily29

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope you get some help. I am type 2, diagnosed about 5 years ago and take meds. I too have times when I seem to get low for no reason. With me I realised that I was doing too much, feeling pulled in every which way and direction. I did simple things like deleting phone number, emails, so called facebook friends. Looked hard at my life style: work full time, adult daughter at home who cant work due to ill health, elderly mother and trying to have a social life. So am looking for a job with shorter hours, not beating myself up when the housework doesnt get done, and being honest with friends when I feel low. It is slowly working. But we are all human and are entitled to have "bad days" and good friends and family will realise that.