Spa day

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I'm planning a spa day for my birthday which is on Boxing Day. I have a couple of questions about the pump and diabetes in general with regards to spa days.
Firstly, I don't quite know what to do with the pump as many of the activities in the spa such as massage, swimming, steam room etc require me to take the pump off:shifty:. However if I disconnect the pump so much maybe I won't be getting enough basal to stabilise my b/s?
Also, I have heard off a friend that diabetics need doctors advice prior to getting a massage for a reason which I have forgot. Oopso_O Is this true?
Any advice is much appreciated and sorry for the long post:oops:

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a pump. When I went to a spa I just attach each time I came out of somewhere wet and tested my blood sugar. I had already decided that I know I would poss run slightly high but would not let it ruin my day. Regarding massages I never tell them as it has never made any difference to my levels, some places won't even do it if your diabetic, I once was told I could have a massage but they would not be able to apply any pressure, I did say well what's the point then. But I've had messages all over the place and never tell now. I had one in Mexico last week and the only thing that effected my levels were the cocktails lol

C

catherinecherub

Hi @myarnton1,

If you have selected a spa and booked then you need to phone them as sometimes people with diabetes are refused treatments.
This is often company policy rather than if you have good or bad control. They lump everyone together and are concerned about complications that any one of us may or may not have.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you do get the OK and go ahead just be careful with the steam room, heat increases blood flow to the skin which can speed up the rate in which insulin is absorbed, meaning there's a potential for hypo's if your not careful.

Reactions: 2 people

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies guys! I haven't booked it yet but I will phone to book and let them know I am diabetic.
I have had an unprofessional massage from a friend who does professional massages and was fine!
I didn't even think about that with the steam room noblehead. I will keep that in mind and test lots of they accept diabetics.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I've been for a morning spa. Detached pump for jacuzzi, steam and sauna and then reconnected whilst relaxing and having read of mags etc. Had massages and never been a problem - I keep my pump by my side for this. I always declare T1 on form but no one has rejected treating me. Always be prepared to do some small basal adjustments if the pump is off for a while. Also, take some spare sets just in case and spare MDI injections. Sounds an awful lot to think of but I'm sure you will be fine. The only thing I haven't had is the rasal mud treatment (which I always loved). I'm really afraid that the mud would get in the set even with the cap on! I may do it one day at the end of the session and go for a shower and change the set straight after.

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Riri, do you keep it attached when having the massage then? I was thinking of doing that and keeping it on the side or even just wear shorts and clip it to them when having the massage. I have also been thinking about the mud bath. If it lands on a day that I need to change sets anyway I may take the set out while in there and the change sets when I get out as it would be disconnected anyway. Yes I will be taking spares and insulin pen just in case as I will also be staying the night. Thank you for the advice

Mark_Goldenfield_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I take my pump. Off when I go. In the steam room. . If my sugar goes higher give my self easy b g to bring my sugars down