Blood shot eyes

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone get bloodshot eyes regularly? I wondered if it was anything to do with diabetes

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Abby's it's not something that I've noticed particularly. Do you find it happening at particular times of day?

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes I just wake up with it and it takes a couple of days to go. It's mainly in the left eye. You are lucky you don't get it

LauraC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got blood shot eyes now, and they have been quite watery last couple of days... and i noticed this happened about a month ago too (I was only diagnosed in July) - I thought maybe it's due to tiredness? I have no idea :)

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When i'm dehydrated or sometimes in the morning but that's just tiredness i guess. Think it's more to do with hydration than diabetes, but high blood sugars can cause numerous side effects.

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get a similar thing but tends to happen when I'm high, hard to explain but tired eyes that do go a little bloodshot.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I get this too, and have been checked by my GP and optician (which I recommend you do in case there's an underlying problem). In my case, neither could find anything wrong and I haven't been able to identify a pattern I.e. High BG readings.

Optrex make eye drops specifically for "bloodshot eyes" which I find helps with the soreness (not cheap). I'm my case, the problem lasts from a couple of days to a week and can look as bad as conjunctivitis. Annoying.

I'm inclined to blame diabetes, because I don't recall having this recurring problem before the condition. However, it is easy to blame diabetes for everything (my GP didn't!).

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone get bloodshot eyes regularly? I wondered if it was anything to do with diabetes
I have very dry eyes and the get blood shot very easily. Dry eyes often get runny and apparently it is due to diabetic meds. Heat does help try heat eye pads from amazon

Reactions: 2 people
Yes, I too have sore eyes, a little blood shot, like if I had been crying! I sometimes also have a dull pain on top of the eye balls.
Must be the diabetes 2, as I did not have it before. No big deal!

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get it when i wake up and goes throughout the day makes people think im hungover :'P

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yes, I too have sore eyes, a little blood shot, like if I had been crying! I sometimes also have a dull pain on top of the eye balls.
Must be the diabetes 2, as I did not have it before. No big deal!

With respect, it is or can be (potentially) a big deal down the line. Get it checked out please.

Reactions: 4 people

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I get this after a long shift as bright lights in my work but was told at my eye check i have dry eye n to use artificial tears a few times per day

Mafat

I was told by my EYE MD that it could be a sign of Migraine Aura & there is nothing wrong with my eyes.

MrBrightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i get this after lack of sleep, or when dehydrated. it doesn't appear to be blood sugar related (for me).

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Abby's: I've had occasional blood shot eyes from well before I had diabetes - sometimes they can be caused by broken blood vessels, dry eyes, and sometimes tiredness, dry, dusty or smoky atmospheres, etc. But definitely if they continue to be red for any length of time, or if they're irritated or painful in any way you must see your doctor - it could be conjunctivitis (which can be infectious) or even worse iritis, which I ended up with and this can seriously damage your eyesight. Your sight is too precious to takes any risks with.

Robbity

Jusrme

Yes, I also have this problem.
A week ago I awoke with a bloodshot left eye, was rather concerned so saw an opthalmologist who said my eye looked fine generally but gave me some steroid drops to reduce the redness. A week later the redness has gone, unfortunately the other eye developed the same issue just as the first clears up. Am just starting the same steroid drops in the other eye.
Doctor told me I had dry eyes and as well as the steroid drops to use lubricating drops as well (over the counter from chemist or optitions)
I have noticed that my blood sugar control has been a bit high as well, so will be keeping a close watch on this over the next week as well, as obviously this could possibly be the cause of the redness. Below is my eye this morning on the first day of the redness. My other eye which was red a week ago and has has a week if treatment is fine.
My gut feeling is this is caused by blood sugars getting a bit high combined with "slightly dry eye"
I will update in a week.

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_101143.jpg
    IMG_20201122_101143.jpg
    826 KB · Views: 2,920