Body fat

lindisfel

Expert
Has anyone had measurements of body fat done?
Fat in the midriff section is quite difficult to lose. I have a bmi below 24 but still have long standing fat to lose.
I guess I also have some I can't see that makes b.g.'s worse.
I am on a low carb diet but think I should lose a few more kilos of midriff fat. Any ideas?
regards
D.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you lost a lot of weight to reach your BMI of 24? If so, could it be loose skin rather than fat?. Just a thought, as I have that problem, but mine is definitely loose skin and tends to disappear if I lie down or sit up really straight!. My BMI dropped from 31 to 21.

Reactions: 2 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat in the midriff section is quite difficult to lose. I have a bmi below 24 but still have long standing fat to lose.
I am on a low carb diet but think I should lose a few more kilos of midriff fat. Any ideas?
regards
D.
Intermittent Fasting seems to be a good method to reduce fat, especially visceral fat. I have lost 25 kgs in the last 8 months through strict LCHF, yet it was only since I added IF-ing about a month ago that the visceral fat gauge on my electronic scales came down for the first time. But don't take my experience as anything but anecdotal evidence, to find out more about fasting try Dr Fung's and Michael Mosley's websites.

Reactions: 4 people

freddy2

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
keep cutting the carbs, I don't know of a better way to remove belly fat. dr Taylor said if you remove some fat from your pancreas, there is a good chance you won't be diabetic, like the ones who have bariatric surgery. the only trouble is that is the last bit of visceral fat to go

Reactions: 3 people

freddy2

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Intermittent Fasting seems to be a good method to reduce fat, especially visceral fat. I have lost 25 kgs in the last 8 months through strict LCHF, yet it was only since I added IF-ing about a month ago that the visceral fat gauge on my electronic scales came down for the first time. But don't take my experience as anything but anecdotal evidence, to find out more about fasting try Dr Fung's and Michael Mosley's websites.
25kg is a mammoth effort and I just had to say well done.

Reactions: 7 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did find my midriff was slow to lose weight compared to rest of my body but it did go slowly and I'm now down to a 30" waist with a BMI of 22.4 (from a waist of 44" and a BMI of 37 a year ago) - I can even see a six pack forming :)

I do a lot of exercise including squash and five a side football so I don't know if that's helped

Reactions: 4 people

freddy2

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, even though I still have almost as much to lose, it feels good :)
I lost 15kg and put on 5 and now bounce between my low of 100kg and 105, I'm 105 at the moment..I know what to do, but doing it is hard, as we well know. if I has self discipline I'd be rich, I'm not rich :)

lindisfel

Expert
Hi blue tit,
I would love to believe it was loose skin but I can see its fat. I am a big guy and my weight was near 17 stone and now is almost dead on 14 stone.
D.

Have you lost a lot of weight to reach your BMI of 24? If so, could it be loose skin rather than fat?. Just a thought, as I have that problem, but mine is definitely loose skin and tends to disappear if I lie down or sit up really straight!. My BMI dropped from 31 to 21.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Larissima,
Please, do you find your scales accurate on body fat?
Thanks for your advice.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Phil,
With advancing years and poor weather up here exercise is problematical but I do what I can and have been using a set of dumbbells recently.
regards
D.
I did find my midriff was slow to lose weight compared to rest of my body but it did go slowly and I'm now down to a 30" waist with a BMI of 22.4 (from a waist of 44" and a BMI of 37 a year ago) - I can even see a six pack forming :)

I do a lot of exercise including squash and five a side football so I don't know if that's helped

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Larissima,
Thanks for your advice.
D.
Accurate? Not really. Useful to show a general trend? Yes, to a point. I don't believe the actual fat and muscle percentages shown, as my OH, who is slim and healthy, always has slightly different values. I think those electronic measurements are affected by the level of hydration of the body, which is always a bit different. But it's helpful for the motivation when the actual weight has not moved, but the fat has gone down... ;) I try not to weigh myself very often anyway, once every 3-4 weeks roughly.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Larissima,
Thanks for your advice.
D.

I have these scales: http://www.omron-healthcare.com/en/products/weightmanagement# - the BF511. I find them to be pretty accurate, when compared with other measurement tools.

As I trimmed up, my waist was the absolutely last part of me to get skinny. I know that's not consolation to you, but it's my story. I'd always been pretty much column shape, but now I have a teenie, tiny waist and wear ladies' size 6 trousers and skirts. I went from a size 8 to 6 without losing any weight, it just sort of happened, as my body seemed to get used to me being ultra-trim.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
regards
D.
As @ Larissima posted, calorie restriction is the way to go. Either the excellent idea of fasting, or sustained low calorie over a period may work. Low carb on it's own may not work, if you overload on other types of calories. Many on here have found they need to control both.

Then you need to schedule in what you're going to do when you hit your target.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi sunny,
My real objective is getting my GGT down which is stuck in the low 80's region.
Like you say, some kind of calorie restriction will also be necessary, even if it less carb than I am have now.
I had too much protein yesterday evening.
Two pork steaks in egg and cheese with veg and I peaked at 6.5 due low carb and still felt full this am.
Perhaps I have too much protein at times which converts to adipose tissue overnight!
regards
D.

As @ Larissima posted, calorie restriction is the way to go. Either the excellent idea of fasting, or sustained low calorie over a period may work. Low carb on it's own may not work, if you overload on other types of calories. Many on here have found they need to control both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

If you haven't noticed, @lindisfel is RH. And of course, calories for RH doesn't come into it because that's how we get our energy from because we should be very, very low carb.
Intermittent fasting will help but because he is gradually getting rid of his visceral fat, as I am, trying to get rid of my paunch! And is asking on how to get rid of it, if he wanted dietary advice on the forum, he would ask it in the RH forum.

Btw, it's always the last place to go!
I've got bone showing through my skin in most areas, but if wasn't for my paunch, I would have a real good hour glass figure!:rolleyes:

lindisfel

Expert
Good for you AndBreathe it shows character achieving those kind of results.
thanks for the link.
D.
I have these scales: http://www.omron-healthcare.com/en/products/weightmanagement# - the BF511. I find them to be pretty accurate, when compared with other measurement tools.

As I trimmed up, my waist was the absolutely last part of me to get skinny. I know that's not consolation to you, but it's my story. I'd always been pretty much column shape, but now I have a teenie, tiny waist and wear ladies' size 6 trousers and skirts. I went from a size 8 to 6 without losing any weight, it just sort of happened, as my body seemed to get used to me being ultra-trim.

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you haven't noticed, @lindisfel is RH. And of course, calories for RH doesn't come into it because that's how we get our energy from because we should be very, very low carb.
Intermittent fasting will help but because he is gradually getting rid of his visceral fat, as I am, trying to get rid of my paunch! And is asking on how to get rid of it, if he wanted dietary advice on the forum, he would ask it in the RH forum.

I've got bone showing through my skin in most areas, but if wasn't for my paunch, I would have a real good hour glass figure!:rolleyes:

So, intermittent fasting then.
Or calorie restriction if you want to spread it out over a few days.
Good going, both of you.

Have a look at the Newcastle Diet, the paunch is the hardest thing to shift.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher, I am learning all the time and my gut feeling is that these fat measuring scales are not an exact science.
The tape measure and a truth telling mirror speaks volumes.
I am just about ready to try one of your mini fasts.
atb
Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher, I am learning all the time and my gut feeling is that these fat measuring scales are not an exact science.
The tape measure and a truth telling mirror speaks volumes.
I am just about ready to try one of your mini fasts.
atb
Derek

Maybe, you are trying to see change in you too often, we don't notice as much as friends or family do, they do notice!
Getting a six pack at our age, is something that I have never even considered or dreamt about!
I'm just pleased as punch or chuffed to bits, that I am steadily still losing weight.
If we were still in the dark about how our body works (weird!) Then we would be scratching our heads trying to still lose weight while we are putting it on!

I still break mirrors when I look at them!!!!!!!!!!
So I don't! Lol!