Reading labels in USA

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I am in Florida right now and am hoping someone can help me with reading the labels for carbs? They measure the carbs differently here, giving me carbs per portion rather than as a percentage (i.e. Grams in 100). They also give a percentage of your days carb count which is really high so no use to me. I am looking for a quick fix so I don't have to do really heavy math to work out if something is low carb or not? At home I look for under 10 grams . I hope this makes sense and someone knows! X
per 100.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1450834468.984992.jpg

freddy2

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
take the fiber off the carbs, so it would be 18-2=16g carb per 12 chips/1oz/ 28g
or by package of 8 servings 16x8= 128g carb per 8oz/224g
128 div by 224 = per gram, times 100 ...it's about 57g per 100g

the usa has the fiber in the carb, the uk has already removed the fiber carbs from the total
this may help you while you are over there
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition

Last edited by a moderator:

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Uh oh, thank you too much math for me in line at a Disney Kiosk ordering food ( or any other time of day). Any 'quick fixes' i.e. Look for less than 5% or something?

freddy2

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
simple is, chips = potato= starch...that's a no.

If it was me and I'm not on hypo causing meds, I'd just cut my carbs from grain/grain products, starch veg like potato an sugary stuff including fruit juice. lots a leafy veg, proteins and fats. buy a hamburger and throw away the bun, or half the bun, depends what you allow yourself

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @freddy2

you are on holiday, and the last thing you want is to crunch numbers. Unless you HAVE to count carbs for medical reasons, just:

Eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese, diet soda, non-root veg, salad and nuts.
Avoid bread, pizza, pasta, chips, potato, rice, doritos, full fat coke and any sugary drinks. etc.
If you can't avoid them, just eat the smallest portions you can
And kick back and relax.

:)

However, if you start feeling really sluggish, tired, lethargic, weepy or can't-be-bothered, then the odds are you have eaten too many carbs. Cut back. You will enjoy the rest of your holiday much more.

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys x I don't eat any of the obvious carbs anyway, bread, crisps, rice, pasta, pastry etc. it is just that for example I was offered some sweet potatoes crisps and I wondered ( with hope in my heart lol) and there was a sugar free strawberry lolly at a park but a quick look said 5% ( of daily total) which sounded high to me ( but may have been low) so I didn't have it but would have loved it and it may have been ok? There are lots of Atkins and sugar free foods in the shops I don't see at home but again I am unsure. We spend a lot of time here each year so would like to know about the different foods I can get here with out having to do the blood test or math thing each time! I like to keep my sugars as good as possible with diet. Thanks x