Fast remedy for constipation in time for Christmas please!!!

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Constipation is not something I suffer from very often Usually quite the reverse in fact!!! However, I haven't been to the loo since Saturday now (and I usually go at least twice a day). I am bloated and have a very tender stomach - the cat jumped on me last night and I almost jumped through the ceiling! If this doesn't sort itself in the next 24 hours it's going to ruin my Christmas. I've been avoiding the sort of stuff that would normally "get me going" like several glasses of orange juice because of my glucose levels. But I've now got to the point where getting the bowels moving is more important to me than my blood levels. Does anyone have a sure-fire way (some food that does it for you) or an over the counter drug I can buy. The generic name would be more helpful as I live in France and they don't always have the same name. Many thanks. And Merry Christmas (I hope).

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually Vitamin C or magnesium or probiotics are good remedies ;)

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As in vitamin C tablets? Do they work instantly? (Well almost ;) )

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best to increase the dose slowly until the desired effect is achieved. Same is true for magnesium. Otherwise a huge initial dose can have a prolonged effect that you don't want.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take 2 teaspons of Andrews in a glass of water. It's relatively gentle for me. I also make sure I up my water intake.

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never used them myself and not sure what they would do to your blood sugars but my brother swore by suppositeries when he needed quick relief from constipation.

Sweet-Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The rain.
http://www.wikihow.com/Relieve-Constipation-Quickly-and-Naturally

Tips
  • While it may be difficult, try to relax and let your bowels (and gravity) do most of the work when you visit the restroom.
  • Try having lemon water. The acid in the lemon will soften the stool and will ease the movement in your bowls.
  • It can be hard to predict what method will work, how well it will work and when it will work. Make sure that you have the time and availability to use the bathroom when you need to.
  • Taking warm water and honey should help.
  • When you wake up in the morning, drink from 2 to 4 glasses of water, it works wonders. This helps your body to eliminate toxins.
  • Put you feet on a stool, when sitting.
  • If you are dealing with recurring constipation and if none of the methods outlined above help, see a healthcare professional and tell them about your problem.
  • If you are not experiencing relief, you can combine several methods.For example, increase the fiber in your food, go for walks, have some senna tea and try some yoga positions. Do not mix more than one type of laxative at a time.
  • High fiber foods and drinking lots of water will not only help relieve, but also help prevent constipation.
  • Take ginger lemon tea in morning.

Reactions: 2 people

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take 2 teaspons of Andrews in a glass of water. It's relatively gentle for me. I also make sure I up my water intake.
Yes I've been drinking more. I've never been good at drinking a lot, apart from just before I was diagnosed, when I was drinking about 12 glasses of Squash a day but now I'm back down to about 3 glasses of water, so I've been trying to up that. Of course, I'd forgotten all about Andrews, don't know what to ask for here in France though. I may have to revert to the freshly squeezed orange juice

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never used them myself and not sure what they would do to your blood sugars but my brother swore by suppositeries when he needed quick relief from constipation.
Oh the French LOVE their suppositories and that's probably what the pharmacist will offer - but not for me I'm afraid. It will have to be something oral!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Up your fluids, substantially. Constipation can be a sign of dehydration too.

For me, I take some bran every day, but if I find myself a bit out of synch, then I have a higher fat day, which moves me along nicely.

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I regret this is an issue for me too. I find that it's difficult for me to deal with it by diet alone so sometimes resort to medication, either over-the-counter or prescription. I have some Senna and some docusate (one's a laxative, the other's a stool softener) if necessary. Occasionally I'll take milk of magnesia and very occasionally Movicol (prescription) or similar. None is instant (thank goodness) and I try to avoid medication of possible because I think the more I take, the less effective it becomes.

I've herd that ginger helps but I've not had a chance to research this.

But I think I know what you're going through. I'm in a similar position about getting it sorted as soon as possible before Christmas.

http://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/natural-stool-softeners#3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use psyllium husks.
Although heaven knows what they would be called in French!

Just a teasp stirred into a glass of water, followed by another glass of water. Job done. ;)

Very gentle. Very natural. No explosive reactions. And you can vary the size of the dose to suit. There is a brand (Lepicol) that adds probiotics, if you want to take it daily. Marvellous stuff.

Sometimes I even use the psyllium in a low carb hot choc to make it even more filling and give it the texture of a lovely thick milkshake.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.wikihow.com/Relieve-Constipation-Quickly-and-Naturally

Tips
  • While it may be difficult, try to relax and let your bowels (and gravity) do most of the work when you visit the restroom.
  • Try having lemon water. The acid in the lemon will soften the stool and will ease the movement in your bowls.
  • It can be hard to predict what method will work, how well it will work and when it will work. Make sure that you have the time and availability to use the bathroom when you need to.
  • Taking warm water and honey should help.
  • When you wake up in the morning, drink from 2 to 4 glasses of water, it works wonders. This helps your body to eliminate toxins.
  • Put you feet on a stool, when sitting.
  • If you are dealing with recurring constipation and if none of the methods outlined above help, see a healthcare professional and tell them about your problem.
  • If you are not experiencing relief, you can combine several methods.For example, increase the fiber in your food, go for walks, have some senna tea and try some yoga positions. Do not mix more than one type of laxative at a time.
  • High fiber foods and drinking lots of water will not only help relieve, but also help prevent constipation.
  • Take ginger lemon tea in morning.

Put your feet on a stool when sitting? :D :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Constipation is not something I suffer from very often Usually quite the reverse in fact!!! However, I haven't been to the loo since Saturday now (and I usually go at least twice a day). I am bloated and have a very tender stomach - the cat jumped on me last night and I almost jumped through the ceiling! If this doesn't sort itself in the next 24 hours it's going to ruin my Christmas. I've been avoiding the sort of stuff that would normally "get me going" like several glasses of orange juice because of my glucose levels. But I've now got to the point where getting the bowels moving is more important to me than my blood levels. Does anyone have a sure-fire way (some food that does it for you) or an over the counter drug I can buy. The generic name would be more helpful as I live in France and they don't always have the same name. Many thanks. And Merry Christmas (I hope).

There a product they use in hospitals before procedures such as colonoscopy, they call it Movocal and it will have you running to the loo in hours, it's available to buy in pharmacies in the UK but not sure what it may be called in France or if it's available over-the-counter.

Hope you get sorted soon and Merry Christmas to you @chinta

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
There a product they use in hospitals before procedures such as colonoscopy, they call it Movocal and it will have you running to the loo in hours, it's available to buy in pharmacies in the UK but not sure what it may be called in France or if it's available over-the-counter.

Hope you get sorted soon and Merry Christmas to you @chinta
for Movicol, try asking for Macrogol http://www.drugs.com/international/macrogol.html

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had that stuff when I had a colonoscopy and I cerrtainly don't want to be cleaned out THAT much for Christmas! Besides, it tastes vile. If I hadn't had a nurse standing over me while I drank it I most certainly wouldn't have! As for the Squatty Potty ad, I saw that a few weeks ago and cracked up laughing. At first I thought it was a joke!! Pharmacist has just given me bicodyl 5mg and says that will do the trick. He seems to think it may be the metformin but I've been taking it for over a month and the only effect I had from that was the exact opposite!!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried not to mention the putting feet on a stool, but I see others share my warped sense of humour.

A non-medication solution is to eat a couple of handfuls of cashew nuts last thing at night, and drink strong black coffee early the next morning.

Hope you feel better soon, so you can enjoy sprouts for Christmas dinner.