Fast remedy for constipation in time for Christmas please!!!

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One natural thing that I found works very effectively (for me, at least) is eating some kind of food rich in iron (such as spinach and egg) and drinking black coffee with it. Results in about an hour or two. I do not recommend adding an iron supplement as well!

freddy2

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Constipation is not something I suffer from very often Usually quite the reverse in fact!!! However, I haven't been to the loo since Saturday now (and I usually go at least twice a day). I am bloated and have a very tender stomach - the cat jumped on me last night and I almost jumped through the ceiling! If this doesn't sort itself in the next 24 hours it's going to ruin my Christmas. I've been avoiding the sort of stuff that would normally "get me going" like several glasses of orange juice because of my glucose levels. But I've now got to the point where getting the bowels moving is more important to me than my blood levels. Does anyone have a sure-fire way (some food that does it for you) or an over the counter drug I can buy. The generic name would be more helpful as I live in France and they don't always have the same name. Many thanks. And Merry Christmas (I hope).
If you don't see movocol or similar as an option,(I don't know any that taste nice) there are liquid from a tube suppositories that are very effective. just be aware there can be a lot of reasons for not having bowl movements, including a twisted bowl. Given you have pain, I would see a dr by now and especially if I throw up.

Last edited by a moderator:

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried not to mention the putting feet on a stool, but I see others share my warped sense of humour.

A non-medication solution is to eat a couple of handfuls of cashew nuts last thing at night, and drink strong black coffee early the next morning.

Hope you feel better soon, so you can enjoy sprouts for Christmas dinner.

Sounds interesting! I actually had a couple of large glasses of clementine juice and a fairly mild chilli (didn't want anything too explosive!) and it's started things moving. No more pain at least, and my stomach no longer feels rock hard.

My mum, who is 85 and hasn't done dinner for the last 6 or 7 years, has suddenly decided she wants to do Christmas dinner this year but dropped the bombshell today that there would be no brussels :(

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and I'm also very mindful of the twisted bowel possibility as that's what my gran died of.

Reactions: 2 people

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, so my shopping list today includes Movicol, Andrews, Milk of Magnesia, Epsom salts, cashew nuts, psyllium husks, ginger and docusate. And a stool. See you in the New Year.

Really though - Movicol comes in single sachets and the dosage for 'normal' constipation is 1 - 3 of these. For colonoscopy cleansing the dosage is something like 8. I've experienced this too! 1 to 3 are manageable if not quite actively unpleasant. ! Psyllium husks can be bought in many Pakistani grocers - look for Isbagol. I do use this but find it best sprinkled on food.

Reactions: 2 people