Has it come back?

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After an hba1c of 5.3 6 months ago told by doctor i had reversed it, after losing 3 stone and controlling my diet. Since October my self testing has been showing BG in the mid to high 7s. I exercise more since losing weight and haven't put anything back on. I'm not on meds, but am baffled as to why BG would rise after perfect range for well over a year?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After an hba1c of 5.3 6 months ago told by doctor i had reversed it, after losing 3 stone and controlling my diet. Since October my self testing has been showing BG in the mid to high 7s. I exercise more since losing weight and haven't put anything back on. I'm not on meds, but am baffled as to why BG would rise after perfect range for well over a year?

How many pots of strips is that over (roughly)? When are your scores in the 7s? After eating what sort of food? An example would be helpful.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is your most resent hba1c test ... ( its different from self testing )

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c was 5.3 in July, my diet has never changed, low carb i don't eat desserts or sweets of any sugar products. Always tested before and after meals in the last year never been higher than 5.5 - 7.5 Recently as high as 8.9 after meals I've prepared and ate dozens of times.

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the morning it was always 5 - 6.0 as I said Dr said I'd reversed it, now morning reading has been in the 7s fir no reason.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c was 5.3 in July, my diet has never changed, low carb i don't eat desserts or sweets of any sugar products. Always tested before and after meals in the last year never been higher than 5.5 - 7.5 Recently as high as 8.9 after meals I've prepared and ate dozens of times.
Is this from multiple pots of strips, and if it is, are they from the same batch, that may differ from before July (if you say, buy in bulk)?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes out bg runs higher when our body is fighting an infection.
Any chance you have anything like a cold, stomach upset, gum disease, infected skin, (insert infection of choice)?

Reactions: 5 people

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"Andbreath" then what's the point in self testing? Brunnera yes I've had a cold and thought of that, but after 2 months still no change. So is it worth bothering about testing considering Andbreath reply, Btw same pot......Prior to cold and after.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You'd hate it if it got higher would you not? But you would not know if you don't test. There isn't a choice unfortunately.

I had the flu and could not get under 7s, but as soon as I shook it off, the BS dropped. Now in the 4s and 5s.

Reactions: 3 people

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mike D then what's the point of testing if ones diet controlled? So testing doesn't mean you control only monitor, so why bother to "hate" if/when you do??

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think @AndBreathe may be pointing out that you have a batch of test strips that are reading high. Have you tried changing the battery on your meter, it may be getting low. Have you got a different meter you can compare against?

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the past three months i felt that my daily test readings were higher than before but my hba1c was 5.8% so i would wait for next hba1c before fretting too much.

Reactions: 9 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Mike D then what's the point of testing if ones diet controlled? So testing doesn't mean you control only monitor, so why bother to "hate" if/when you do??

@Denthezen You don't know that though, do you?

I never vary my diet but figures can rise and fall based upon your immune system response and whether you're feeling under the weather (or not) and many other factors. If you tie one to the other (meter to changing health assuming everything else is equal), then you'll likely know the culprit. Simple answer is this ... you are not diet controlled as much as you'd wish. Anything can knock you around and if you don't test, you won't know. The "hate" comment was that "not knowing" factor. Me? I want to know. Then you can isolate potential issues, whether it be diet or the GP visit or anything else.

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's just the point Mike D. I do test, I always have its not any food that's causing it. Never tried changing the battery Andrew? I did think it could be the meter I've been using it for over a year. I'll try changing the battery failing that try a new meter problem is they all use different strips.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Then my humbles mate ..... I assume from what you said to AB that you weren't bothering and had stopped. Forgive me. Interpretations.

Still reckon you might have come down with something, or indeed, could be the meter or strips or battery.

Mike

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No problem mike, I'm just confused as to why readings were unusual for me. I have had a fever but getting over it now so I'm hoping after Christmas readings will return to normal? I'm going to order new strips for another Meter I have, then see what happens. My next hba1c is not until June.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Could you have been left with a mild sinus or chest infection after your cold? That sort of thing raises my BG.

I test 7 times a day on average and I change the battery about every six months.