Metformin reactions ?

Chris9450

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone! I have been on Metformin for 13 yrs now. With a Lchf diet I have not had to change my dosage very much over the years. Firstly, had to start on low dose and move onto the full dose over a few weeks. I am also so much better since I took Garden of Life Ultra probiotics. They are natural, earth based probiotics. They have completely stopped the tummy problems. Be aware too that if you eat too much sugar or too many carbs they will cause the same problem. After all they use Lactulose in elderly patients to prevent constipation, lol. Have a lovely Christmas, limit your treats and enjoy all your veg and turkey. Stay well.

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was one of the people that didn't tolerate metformin the entire time I was on it which was 5 years. So I was nauseated and had bad diarrhoea most days. Ironically ever since being on and stopping metformin I've had severe digestive issues and I didn't have any of them prior to metformin. I never had an irritable bowel, never had reflux, never had spasms, or any of it. Part of me wishes I never ever touched the drug. I read a research article recently saying that just 4 years of it can cause neuropathy. I am now suspicious about whether it had anything to do with my current problems... then it could be just coincidence. My symptoms have been getting worse and I'm still being investigated. I've been off metformin for 6 years now.

newlifehelp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been prescribed Metformin. 500 dosage to start.

I was quite happy to carry on with LCHF diet as I'd got my Hba1c readings down to 49, but no, docs insist that Metformin will benefit me.

YUK! I've only taken 2 days and I feel awful. Fuzzy headache, stomach pains, I feel sick and the worst reaction tonight! I went out for my usual fitness walk and had to nearly run home to dash in the loo ! Dreadful diarrhea !!

Does this pass or have I got to expect worse ?
I was diagnosed type 2 in August 2014. Put on Metformin gave it a few weeks but was having diarrhea every day so put on the slow release type. This seemed to be working but eventually the diarrhea started again. Now I am on Pioglitazone 30mg and sitaglipin 100mg. Side effects are dizziness, check and just feeling rough. Don't know when next check up is but will be definately telling them

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on Metformin for 4 weeks now no tummy issues so far. I started on one tablet a day then increase them by one tablet every two weeks until by week 7 I will be on the full dose

tonypadua05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on metformin for over ten years. However recently I am always having constipation. What advice can I get?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on metformin for over ten years. However recently I am always having constipation. What advice can I get?

Are you on a low carb diet ? That sometimes means less fibre. If I have problems I take physillium husks.. a bit like drinking wallpaper paste, but it works very gently.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update on mine when I got up to 3 Metformin a day I started having really bad indigestion and bloated tummy so went to see my doctor and she has put me on the SR version. I am only on 1 a day at the moment start 2 next week. I do find after about 30/45 minutes after taking the tablet during my meal that I do still get slight indigestion but this wears off after a while so hoping I will be able to tolerate them once I am used to them

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine has settled a lot. I'm still feeling sick occasionally and have had a few urgent loo dashes , so I'm still not very happy taking these. I'll see what doc says when i next see her.

torchwoody

recently doubled to 4 metaformin and halfed to 2 glucazide per day
not pood in 3 days been sick twice will see doc is this common?