Diabetes and dental problems?

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I am a diabetic newbie, so apologies for any stupid ideas or questions in advance. Does diabetes effect your teeth or gums at all? Also in the UK, can you get free dental care? I currently can't afford the treatment I need, so I need to wait to get it until I've paid off debts etc. I'm just concerned that now I'm diabetic, leaving it may cause more harm. Any advice is welcome. X

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately in the UK being diagnosed as diabetic in itself has no bearing on whether you receive free dental treatment or not. Free treatment is only if you receive means tested state benefits or have a certified very low income and limited savings. I have had endless dental problems since being diagnosed but I don't know if that is mainly down to being old. :(

Reactions: 2 people

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I have recently developed receding gums so thought it may be connected but was unsure. X

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah
Unfortunately in the UK being diagnosed as diabetic in itself has no bearing on whether you receive free dental treatment or not. Free treatment is only if you receive means tested state benefits or have a certified very low income and limited savings. I have had endless dental problems since being diagnosed but I don't know if that is mainly down to being old. :(
Ah okay, not to worry, I'll just have to wait until I'm in a bit of a better financial situation and then get everything fixed. I worry I'll lose some teeth but I'm guessing that won't happen for years yet...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah

Ah okay, not to worry, I'll just have to wait until I'm in a bit of a better financial situation and then get everything fixed. I worry I'll lose some teeth but I'm guessing that won't happen for years yet...

Nobody can gauge how long it could take to go from reversible gum disease to a tooth and bone loss situation, but not having it assessed is quite a risky proposition.

If you are registered with an NHS dentist, you could have the check-up and probably diagnostic x-rays, then discuss what treatment might be required. That might help you prioritise where your teeth come, as against the debts you mention. Should things develop, or you end up having to have emergency treatment (heaven forbid), you'd be forced, at a time not necessarily of your choosing, to spend some money on disaster recover/pain relief - irrespective of your then debt profile.

Otherwise, I note from your profile you are in the West Midlands. Birmingham has an excellent university dental hospital, with students. Have you considered that option? Their work is closely supervised, and usually of good quality, even if they are slower, per treatment, than a potentially experienced practitioner.

Just a contra viewpoint for consideration.

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I lost lots of teeth and the surrounding bone because of gum infection. With diabetics it is the same as infection any where, you are more prone and healing in difficult. Regards Lynne

Reactions: 2 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does diabetes effect your teeth or gums at all?
Diabetes leaves you prone to tooth and gum infections because the increased sugar feeds bacteria in the mouth. Helpfully, my dentist has now recommened that I see the hygenist four times a year instead of twice. I am sure that has nothing at all to do with charging me an extra £36 a time, when it should be covered by NHS charges anyway. You might try using a mouthwash, brushing three times a day and using floss sticks. That will all help.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
The dentist costs a fortune....many people have said to me treatment be given free but I have never tried to get assistance
does people with diabetes get free dental treatments ??

Dashing.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
im 24, 25 next month and have seen my teeth getting worse due to my diabetes i don't work and on jsa so can get free treatment but finding the nhs dentists in this city is hard as majority of them are fully booked :(

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nobody can gauge how long it could take to go from reversible gum disease to a tooth and bone loss situation, but not having it assessed is quite a risky proposition.

If you are registered with an NHS dentist, you could have the check-up and probably diagnostic x-rays, then discuss what treatment might be required. That might help you prioritise where your teeth come, as against the debts you mention. Should things develop, or you end up having to have emergency treatment (heaven forbid), you'd be forced, at a time not necessarily of your choosing, to spend some money on disaster recover/pain relief - irrespective of your then debt profile.

Otherwise, I note from your profile you are in the West Midlands. Birmingham has an excellent university dental hospital, with students. Have you considered that option? Their work is closely supervised, and usually of good quality, even if they are slower, per treatment, than a potentially experienced practitioner.

Just a contra viewpoint for consideration.

Thank you for the good advice, it's much appreciated! Ah, that must be the dental hospital, I've heard it mentioned before, but not known much about it. Time to get googling!! Thank you again. x

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im 24, 25 next month and have seen my teeth getting worse due to my diabetes i don't work and on jsa so can get free treatment but finding the nhs dentists in this city is hard as majority of them are fully booked :(

Oh no, so sorry to hear it's getting worse. It was so hard to find an nhs dentist where I used to live, but hoping I can find one in the city I'm in now. x

S

Shar67

The dentist costs a fortune....many people have said to me treatment be given free but I have never tried to get assistance
does people with diabetes get free dental treatments ??
No unless you are on certain benefits etc see above for post from @noblehead

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the good advice, it's much appreciated! Ah, that must be the dental hospital, I've heard it mentioned before, but not known much about it. Time to get googling!! Thank you again. x

dental hospital is in theory a very good idea, but may only deal with emergency treatment, and may have very long waiting lists for other treatment - or at least one did when i needed treatment quite some time ago - so long a wait that some of my teeth had to go by the time i got seen! For more complex treatment i was told 36 months wait! that was a few years ago - things may be better now, but not sure as so few NHS dentists who practise full time or who do a whole range of work. May get worse as i have just had a NHS dental questionnaire - asking what was the furthest i would be prepared to travel, how did i get to my dentist, how long did it take me, did i find it easy to get appointments, would i mind the NHS sessions the dentists in the area did being reduced, and many other similar questions, etc (no question about expertise or having the experience i needed)