Honeymoon End Experiences

John_H

Comrades,

I'm almost certain that I have come to the end of my three-month honeymoon period. During this time, around 85% of my BG results were in the NICE range and any transgressions were not far outside. My breakfast BG reading was consistently around 1 mmol/l higher than my bedtime reading and there were a few other indicators that everything was progressing along nicely. I had cracked it - or so I thought. Around a week and a half ago,my BG results started to drift and they are now bouncing around in a seemingly patternless jumble as I struggle to regain some form of control - yesterday for example, the range was 2.2 to 12.7. I will send my BG results to my DNS tomorrow for her consideration, and, as always I will follow the sage words of Gary Scheiner as I plod through Think Like a Pancreas, but in the meantime, I'd love any feedback on your end of honeymoon experiences.

Regards

John

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't recall it much @John_H, remember starting on insulin then having to reduce the dose by quite a lot then slowly increasing it again as the months moved on, but Scheiner's book is full of good advice and you want to pay particular attention to what he says about basal testing.

Reactions: 4 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah yes, patternless jumble. That's it alright. Anyway, you will establish a new pattern step by step. Try being very considtent, boring even, in your meals, until you get your basal-bolus regime pretty well balanced. Then try out variations in diet and exercise one by one to measure the effects. I find I can tolerate a boring breakfast and boring lunch most days. I can then save my efforts at calculation for exercise and more tasty evening meals. Good luck with the new challenge.

Reactions: 4 people

John_H

Ah yes, patternless jumble. That's it alright. Anyway, you will establish a new pattern step by step. Try being very considtent, boring even, in your meals, until you get your basal-bolus regime pretty well balanced. Then try out variations in diet and exercise one by one to measure the effects. I find I can tolerate a boring breakfast and boring lunch most days. I can then save my efforts at calculation for exercise and more tasty evening meals. Good luck with the new challenge.

Splendid advice - thanks Ruth.

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, you think you've got it and then suddenly everything you were doing is now wrong. Just keep going working it out over and over again, you'll crack it!

Also the honeymoon period I was told can be up to a year... Less fun!

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I think I'm also coming to the end. I started insulin in October and had mastered it running between 4-6, now between 8-9. I moved onto a half unit injection which half a unit would send me really hypo now is having very little effect. dSn suggested leave it over Christmas address it in Jan. I notice your post was at the beginning of Dec, how's things going now?

MrBrightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Curious about this, i'm 11 months in now and the units i'm taking still haven't had to increase. Does the honeymoon ending occur steadily or is it a cliff-edge-change?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Curious about this, i'm 11 months in now and the units i'm taking still haven't had to increase. Does the honeymoon ending occur steadily or is it a cliff-edge-change?
12 months in and also on the same ratios and long acting dose. Every day I wonder if the "honeymoon" will suddenly end ....

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The same here. This morning I woke up with a higher reading than usual and stayed higher the whole day. It immediately made me think whether the end of my honeymoon is approaching :(

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The same here. This morning I woke up with a higher reading than usual and stayed higher the whole day. It immediately made me think whether the end of my honeymoon is approaching :(
I get odd days like that, and to be honest they are probably slightly on the increase, but it seems that just as I think the honeymoon is ending I will then have a couple of hypo days and settle back to "normal"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Dashing.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My sugars were good for 2 years on novamix then they changed me over to levimer and novarapid and then it got worse :(
But 2016 is the year i am going to behave or try too :D

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over 2 years in, and either my honeymoon is still going (I think it is) or I never had one, as levels of insulin haven't really changed in that time. When I did DAFNE last year, I was on the lowest doses by a country mile, and had lots of condescending comments of "just you wait til the honeymoon ends!"

Well, I'm still waiting! But I think as I was diagnosed in my 30s, maybe the progression is slower.

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed back in September and had to come off of insulin completely after just a few weeks because of hypos, although was on Novomix and wasn't offered the choice of switching to basal/bolus at the time. But I keep wondering when my Honeymoon is going to end because things are so simple for me at the moment with my levels staying in check even when I have over done the carbs or had a stomach bug that it is going to be one heck of a shock to the system when it does end.

Olio1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, just after some advice really. Been pretty much going through exactly the same as everyone else i think. Diagnosed type 1 in August, finally seemed to be getting my numbers in range most all the time. Past few days my levels have been very high. Usually around 8 in the morning which is okay, then during the day, they seem to be around 15-19. I believe that i am coming through the other side of the 'Honeymoon' period as i was putting in 10-12 units with meals, and would be having a few hypos. I have now tried putting in 14-15 units, and my levels are still ridiculously high. Around 14-17. It's just frustrating as i thought i pretty much got it sorted and now my levels are out of range again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks! :D

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Olio1234 - It sounds like it could be the end of the honeymoon, but could also be coming down with a bug.

Are you on basal/bolus? And do you carb count? What insulins (Lantus/Levemir/Novorapid etc) do you take currently? I ask because it could be an issue with the basal dose/bolus dose/timing of basal.... There's a lot of different factors. Your DSN will be able to advise you where to start making changes.

Olio1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Olio1234 - It sounds like it could be the end of the honeymoon, but could also be coming down with a bug.

Are you on basal/bolus? And do you carb count? What insulins (Lantus/Levemir/Novorapid etc) do you take currently? I ask because it could be an issue with the basal dose/bolus dose/timing of basal.... There's a lot of different factors. Your DSN will be able to advise you where to start making changes.
I believe i am Basal/Bolus and have recently been advised about carb counting which i have been doing more and more lately am seems to be better. I am on Lantus Glargine in the morning, and have been taking this a bit later than usual as college holidays have struck and i have been sleeping in later. I am also on Novorapid for meals.