How are people managing over Xmas?

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. I was diagnosed prediabetic back in the spring but have been managing really well. I've done plenty of exercise and dropped 3 dress sizes. However, I am finding it hard over Xmas. Not that I have a massive urge to eat cakes and chocolate, those cravings went long ago, it is more the social side that is hard, especially alcohol.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, happy new year.

Do you mean peer pressure?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh it can be hard in social settings. But it just comes down to the choices made to help you keep sugar controlled. You can choose low carb alcohol options and also you can use soda water to reduce the carb content in your alcohol. I guess one thing is it is christmas and it is only once a year, if you do fall off track you can get back on it. For me I have diet restrictions for other reasons so this christmas I made my own food and just drank water on christmas day.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been at a few family functions where Ive had the same dilema. On one occasion I.thought stuff it

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oops sorry hit the wrong button. On one occasion I just drank what I wanted and the other I drunk spirits and diet fizzy. I personally dont worry too much as I dont drink all the time so if I decide to drink what everyone else is drinking for one night I know it isnt going to affect my BS that much.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there. I was diagnosed prediabetic back in the spring but have been managing really well. I've done plenty of exercise and dropped 3 dress sizes. However, I am finding it hard over Xmas. Not that I have a massive urge to eat cakes and chocolate, those cravings went long ago, it is more the social side that is hard, especially alcohol.

But low-carb alcohol is not a special issue for diabetics. Spirits and dry wines of all kinds won't raise your blood glucose, and in fact can prevent your liver from spitting out a hunk of glucose it has made especially for us! (If your kind of diabetes is prone in the dawn phenomenon direction.)

When you say the social side is hard for you as a diabetic, what precisely do you mean? Physically? Or emotionally? Because stress can indeed affect your BG badly. Can we help at all? ie more info needed :)

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What I mean is going out and delicious food being offered which is so tempting and alcohol too. Even though I limit myself to small amounts and accept its Xmas my concern is that I keep doing it every time we go somewhere knew so I'm concerned that the indulgences are happening too often. I am trying to up my exercise. Off out tomorrow to a concert with friends who have booked an Italian for pre-concert lunch. I'm hoping there is something low carb in the menu.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'm honest, and I've got my bullet proof vest on for when i get shot as a heretic, I haven't really worried over Christmas re going out etc - I'm seem to be one of the luckier ones in that I can tolerate more carbs than many on here, I'm not a great chocolate/sweet eater (not had one all over Christmas!!), my hba1c is at non-diabetic levels and my FBS currently hovers between high 4s and low-mid 5s so, although I keep carbs as low as possible, at the moment I'm not too concerned re what I eat however I am looking forward to have a nice plate of salad tomorrow!!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What I mean is going out and delicious food being offered which is so tempting and alcohol too. Even though I limit myself to small amounts and accept its Xmas my concern is that I keep doing it every time we go somewhere knew so I'm concerned that the indulgences are happening too often. I am trying to up my exercise. Off out tomorrow to a concert with friends who have booked an Italian for pre-concert lunch. I'm hoping there is something low carb in the menu.

You could always look the resteraunt up online or phone em to find out what's on the menus..?

For warned, for armed..!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think part of it is needing to reach the "I don't care what people think of me" point. My MIL is still shocked eventide I reject mince pies, alcohol and fruit juice. This is despite being diabetic herself! Sometimes it is hard, but I want to choose where my carbs come from, not accept to be polite.

Reactions: 6 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi Sally66. I'm the most awkward person I know. We regularly go to an Italian. Once a month. I worked out that a starter salad they do can be ordered for a main.
Obviously if you are ordering pasta I don't know what you could do to lower carbs.
In normal restaurants I ask for swopsies. I swop potatoes for extra green veg. If I order a burger I ask to swop the buns and fries for salad. Most places will accommodate you.

Reactions: 2 people