Dr. Jason Fung: Canadian Nephrologist - please look at his work in connection with Type 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
Hello everyone - greetings from Canada. Please use the internet to look at what Dr. Jason Fung, a Canadian doctor practising in Scarborough (near Toronto), has to say and advise about type II diabetes. You can google him by name. No spoilers in this post, but I assure all that it is worth looking into this physician's work.

Advertising link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Charles, I liked his work very much but one thing I need to ask is regarding the LCHF diet. Do you loose muscle mass if you continue with the weight loss?

I came down from 68.5 to 60 and noticed my arms to be smaller.

Also if I am travelling how do I keep up the LCHF diet? It is so difficult to find the right food especially in Asia.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
Hi Tony
With a LCHF diet and regular fasting,your body burns fat not muscle. Your energy comes from the fat reserves your body is now tapping into, resulting gradually in greater insulin sensitivity and lower blood glucose. Of course, we are all apt to respond to fasting and diet endeavours differently, but these efforts do not result in diminished or atrophied muscle. The way I cope with food when travelling is to eat primarily vegetables and meat and avoid any grain based carbs - you know, the highly refined white sugar stuff that got us into trouble in the first place. Dr.Fung addresses your concern about muscle mass loss on his website in his published blogs. There's a lot to read, but if you have time, in my opinion these articles are worth reading. Best for 2016!

Reactions: 4 people

Tony2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Charles, Great reply and thanks. I am now going to the pool for Hydro and also walking exercises. I am looking great, thanks to Dr. Fung and trying to educate my GP and Diabetes Australia about reversing diabetes which they still have no clue, how sad!

I was told by the Diabetes Centre Consultant that it is a progressive and chronic disease, what a dead end advice.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
My own experience is that the science around type II is faulty - outright wrong! The advice you have received is typical here too. Don't believe it Tony! Eat good food, limit the carbs to those of the vegetable type, and experiment with fasting regimens to see what works for you. Other helpful information and advice comes from Dr. Sarah Hallberg and dietdoctor.com.

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
This is an interesting two-way? conversation

Tony2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks, Charles. Yes I have successfully reverse my diabetes with intermittent fasting from 7pm to noon the next day in conjunction with LCHF diet. My fasting blood is averaging 5.2 mmol/l daily.

And I have subscribed to Dietdoctor and Dr. Fung's blog. The recipes in Dietdoctor is pretty good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just about to start intermittent fasting, and am presently working my way through Dr Fung's video course. I'm non-medicated type 2 (after 9+ years on Metformin) and want to stay diet & exercise controlled.
Hi Lizanne
I'm recently diagnosed but started LCHF on the day I got the news and have recently started fasting. I'm trying 3 days a week mon,wed,fri and so far have had better FBG results on the days following my fast days. Also seems to have helped a bit with weight loss too. I'm only on my third week but finding it relatively easy to stick too (apart from xmas day which I had off)...

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
I'm just about to start intermittent fasting, and am presently working my way through Dr Fung's video course. I'm non-medicated type 2 (after 9+ years on Metformin) and want to stay diet & exercise controlled.
Congratulations on managing it so well! In my own case, I am convinced that the fasting is one of the best medicines for long term benefits we can prescribe for our selves. Like you, I am able to manage the condition with diet and exercise strategies. You may find the work of a young American doctor named Sarah Hallberg also helpful here. Perhaps you already know of her, but if not, her work in this area is also inspiring and accessible through social media. Just google her name or look her up on Facebook if you use it. Best of success in 2016!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tea or coffee with wholebean soy milk (v low carb) and that's it.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
Hi LizAnne
I have experimented with different fasting regimens. Currently however, I have settled to a routine of one meal a day - usually taken between 6 and 7 p.m. I will not eat again until the same time next day but I do allow myself coffee with cream, tea and water between meals. My average blood glucose at the moment is within a range of 4.4 -5.2 as a result of this routine. I have also done two,three and five day fasts with good results, but I find that I do not need to do the extended fasts at the moment and can still get very good results from eating one meal a day. I do not count calories or watch amounts when I eat. I do make certain that my carbohydrates come from vegetables and that I eat significant amounts of fat and moderate amounts of protein. I think we all have to play around with fasting to see what works best for us as individuals. That said, I do think it is a wonderful medicine for all of us who are candidates before fasting. It is so flexible and can be stopped and started whenever we need to make a change - I'm saving lots of money on groceries!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
Hi Tony. I do get fat from olives and olive oil on a regular basis. I also use coconut oil, avocados, nuts- especially macadamia nuts - and eggs cheese and butter. I also use 18% cream in my coffee and tea. I do not avoid meat fat when consuming protein in the form of meat. Those are my fat sources for the most part. How about yourself?

Tony2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Charles, I buy Chinese roast pork, roast chicken with skin, extra virgin olive oil with apple cider vinegar in green salads, seafood chowder, chicken liver pate, cheddar, cream cheese, nuts like almond, I have my coffee with stevia and whitener, but what about evaporated milk? I use coconut oil to cook or butter but not sure how else to eat coconut milk? Any recipes?

Tony2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Charles, I heard of MCT oil and bullet proof? Expensive though. What about Resistant Starch like bananas and Potato Starch with water? Any experience with them? Apparently they are good for the gut and regulates BS? Happy New Year from Australia.

Mafat

Hi LizAnne
I have experimented with different fasting regimens. Currently however, I have settled to a routine of one meal a day - usually taken between 6 and 7 p.m. I will not eat again until the same time next day but I do allow myself coffee with cream, tea and water between meals. My average blood glucose at the moment is within a range of 4.4 -5.2 as a result of this routine. I have also done two,three and five day fasts with good results, but I find that I do not need to do the extended fasts at the moment and can still get very good results from eating one meal a day. I do not count calories or watch amounts when I eat. I do make certain that my carbohydrates come from vegetables and that I eat significant amounts of fat and moderate amounts of protein. I think we all have to play around with fasting to see what works best for us as individuals. That said, I do think it is a wonderful medicine for all of us who are candidates before fasting. It is so flexible and can be stopped and started whenever we need to make a change - I'm saving lots of money on groceries!

Charles Macdonald-

Thanks so much for your educative postings. I also follow "One Meal a Day" regimen for six days & LCHF & Exercise -HIIT. This has brought results for me & thanks to this forum & Dr.Jason Fung.I firmly believe that answer is in one meal a day.

Mafat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
Hi Charles, I buy Chinese roast pork, roast chicken with skin, extra virgin olive oil with apple cider vinegar in green salads, seafood chowder, chicken liver pate, cheddar, cream cheese, nuts like almond, I have my coffee with stevia and whitener, but what about evaporated milk? I use coconut oil to cook or butter but not sure how else to eat coconut milk? Any recipes?
Hi Tony. Happy New Year to you as well
Charles Macdonald-

Thanks so much for your educative postings. I also follow "One Meal a Day" regimen for six days & LCHF & Exercise -HIIT. This has brought results for me & thanks to this forum & Dr.Jason Fung.I firmly believe that answer is in one meal a day.

Mafat
Hi Mafat. It certainly has been working for me, although I also intend to continue experimenting with longer fasts intermittently and occasionally. I also think that time is a factor here in terms of completely reversing the condition. Best of luck in your efforts to reclaim your health in 2016!