Advice needed...

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

My DSN thinks I'm coming to the end of honeymoon, really sensitive at the moment and don't have any insulin when drinking!

Am going skiing in Feb, will be first time since diagnosis any advice on avoiding hypos? Best foods what to expect?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The usual food advice to control and minimise blood sugar swings is to smooth the carbs during the say, have low-GI ones and have fats with the carbs. Keeping the carb total down should also help. Many will have some extra carb just before strenuous exercise. Obviously you need to be in control of your insulin i.e. having the Basal balanced, knowing your Bolus ratio and testing often.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Carry plenty of hypo treatments with you/on you and maybe get any companions to carry some for you too. Skiing is strenuous and you could find you go lower than you normally would.

Before vigorous exercise like that, I often eat extra carbs. Test frequently. Have you sorted something to carry your testing equipment in? Also, be aware that many blood meters have a minimum temperature warning. Perhaps you could speak to your DSN for advice before you go?

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive not really done the low carb gi as my insulin needs have been so low, I hadn t thought about something to carry my equipment in @azure, do you recommend anything?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Azure,
I went skiing for the first time in early December - it was great. I was able to fit my glucometer in my jacket pocket along with some glucose sweets (which I actually needed). It has a soft case and was fine. I had spare pump supplies in a locker I had rented just in case. Hope this helps - have a ball :)

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I ski and have to careful about hypos, due to the altitude they can creep up on you without you noticing so regular testing is essential, drop your basal dose by a third and carry jelly babies in your pocket. Try to keep your monitor as close to your body as possible to keep it warm too as can stop working if too cold. A good breakfast is also recommended otherwise don't let it change anything and have a great time, hope you get good snow !

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you, we normally just dump a rucksack somewhere in the snow but lockers may be the way to go. I've struggled with jelly babies as they are soooo sweet so may try some energie tablets also. As I still tend to fall quite a bit - although many years in now! I may take my back up meter also

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
One other thing, thinking of starting to swim before work do I do breakfast before , after or half and half?