Hi from a type 2 in Scotland

Hungry_Joe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I've been diabetic for 11 years, and was successfully diet controlled for over nine.
I'm now on 2000mg/Metformin/day. My practice nurse assures me that I don't need to test my blood as I'm on Metformin - I have my doubts.
I have a very rare type of (Glossopharyngeal) neuralgia, because it's so rare I have real problems getting effective treatment for it, when it's untreated it is indescribably painful, and when treated effectively, I've had some pretty distressing side effects from meds.
Eventually, my willpower caved in, the combination of pain and side effects wore me down and I decided that if I wanted a steak, I'd have it and if I wanted a bottle of wine with my steak, I'd have it. I now have a bottle of wine every night, and now that I'm on Metformin, I'm allowing myself stuff (fruit/biscuits/white bread/chocolate etc.
I know this stuff isn't good for me but I've developed the attitude that while I'm pain free, I'm going to enjoy myself. I know that my current combinations of meds will lose their effect in time, and I know that when the pain is untreated, life is not worth living. I've been more or less pain free for three years, and have put on quite a bit of weight (3 stones/42pounds). My problem is that I can't drink and lose weight, and I don't WANT to stop drinking and I'm not sure that I could, I know that when I finally stopped smoking 12 years ago, it was because I wanted to, not because I felt I had to.
Anyway, sorry fro the ramble,
Joe.

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @hungryjoe, welcome.

I was advised too not to test, but having read around, and found this forum, gave it a go. I think it helps motivate me, seeing impact of food/exercise on my blood sugar levels, but it's a personal decision. Certainly if you are interested in self testing, I'd give it a go.

There's lots of great advice and ideas re what to eat around this forum to help manage diabetes and loose weight if you want to explore that, but that too is a personal decision.

All the very best.

D

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Metformin is not the panacea many seem to think it is. Good luck with that other condition and take care.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. We all have to make our own personal choices in life and it cant be easy when you are dealing with more than one condition. I would definately be testing though as it really is essential if you want you to see what effect your diet is having on your BS, on the other hand if you dont really care either way it might just be a waste of time and money. Take care.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome Joe

Best wishes RRB :)